Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Now that I think about it even more, the only possible explanation is that Douglas was so outraged by Leinster's treatment of his compatriot Matt O'Connor that he's storming off in protest.

Not sure if serious? Are you suggesting he's throwing a tantrum?

Surely it's plausible he's homesick, has pregnant partner who wants to be near family, he's keen to play for Australia again...maybe just doesn't like Dublin as much as he had expected? Not justifying breaking his contract but the throwing the toys out of the cot seems far fetched to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Not sure if serious? Are you suggesting he's throwing a tantrum?

Surely it's plausible he's homesick, has pregnant partner who wants to be near family, he's keen to play for Australia again...maybe just doesn't like Dublin as much as he had expected? Not justifying breaking his contract but the throwing the toys out of the cot seems far fetched to me.

Erm, yeah, it was just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

The more I think about this, the more I think we'll be Douglasless next season.

The statement from Easterby says:

If this was a simple request to release a player for international duty, there would be no discussions, Leinster just have to let him go, so what could possibly have taken "a few weeks", unless there's something more behind it?

ARU won't pay any comp, so I think we'll probably release him but not till next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's a real pity we won't have Marshall next season, think he might have really pushed on if Douglas wasn't there.

Sydney Morning Herald reporting that Leinster want €250,000 to release Douglas, can't see ARU paying anything close to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Well if they wouldn't pay 200k for Cooper they certainly won't pay more for Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be more concerned if Leinster are happy to take a cash payment for a player who they should be considering a very important figure for them over the coming season.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned if Leinster are happy to take a cash payment for a player who they should be considering a very important figure for them over the coming season.

If it's a player who's on a decent salary but is unsettled or unhappy in Leinster, they might be happy to get something out of it rather than let it drag on before eventually having to release him and get nothing.

(IF he's unhappy here, which is not remotely confirmed by anyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Take the money and use it to buy a scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There's no point in forcing a guy that doesn't want to be here to stay. Plus I'm sure they know the ARU won't be stumping up that kind of cash, nor will any of the Aussie clubs. So in a sense they are doing everything they can do. Making it impossible for the Aussies to take him while not out and out refusing to let him go. It's a fairly reasonable position they're taking so if it means he stays here for a season and then heads off next (with lower compensation) we're more likely to get more from him in that season than we would if we were dicks about it. It could be a case of telling him "look, do a job for us next season and we'll work something out".

• Advertisement

(IF he's unhappy here, which is not remotely confirmed by anyone).

I'd well believe it tbh. He's just gotten engaged and his fiance is pregnant with their first. He didn't exactly have a great first season with Leinster, both personally and in terms of how the team did. That certainly doesn't guarantee that he's not happy here but it does make it all the more likely. Or possibly more to the point it would make the lure of home a stronger one.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd well believe it tbh. He's just gotten engaged and his fiance is pregnant with their first. He didn't exactly have a great first season with Leinster, both personally and in terms of how the team did. That certainly doesn't guarantee that he's not happy here but it does make it all the more likely. Or possibly more to the point it would make the lure of home a stronger one.

Yeah, that's all reasonable enough, I just hate it when internet speculation becomes accepted fact.

It's also very possible that he thinks he's in with a good shout of regular test matches with his former Waratahs coach in the Aussie job, compared to Ewen McKenzie, and wants to play in the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder is the fact that the WC is in england a factor? Maybe despite all the talk of contracts etc the Aussies are thinking in terms of logistics if they need a replacement lock during the WC a guy an hours flight away who is training with his club and playing a bit might be more useful than a guy 24 hours away. Have him in the bigger squad then when cuts are being made send him back to Leinster. So up to speed in calls and systems and conveniently placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

salmocab wrote: »
    I wonder is the fact that the WC is in england a factor? Maybe despite all the talk of contracts etc the Aussies are thinking in terms of logistics if they need a replacement lock during the WC a guy an hours flight away who is training with his club and playing a bit might be more useful than a guy 24 hours away. Have him in the bigger squad then when cuts are being made send him back to Leinster. So up to speed in calls and systems and conveniently placed.

They don't need to agree anything with Leinster to bring him to the World Cup. It's only if they want him to be signed to an ARU deal.

Wouldn't want to kick Kane out the door, but if he is going to be on International duty, he's actually less 'value' to us over the course of the season than we'd envisioned.

If he had intentions to return home (family) and a deal was available which saw us replace him with a 'non-International but just below that level' and we made some cash out of it too I'd be okay with that.

We'll just get Quinn Roux back. Be grand. He can get a flat in Ranelagh with Robbie Henshaw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We'll just get Quinn Roux back. Be grand. He can get a flat in Ranelagh with Robbie Henshaw.

Would be a bitch of a commute for Henshaw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's no point in forcing a guy that doesn't want to be here to stay. Plus I'm sure they know the ARU won't be stumping up that kind of cash, nor will any of the Aussie clubs. So in a sense they are doing everything they can do. Making it impossible for the Aussies to take him while not out and out refusing to let him go. It's a fairly reasonable position they're taking so if it means he stays here for a season and then heads off next (with lower compensation) we're more likely to get more from him in that season than we would if we were dicks about it. It could be a case of telling him "look, do a job for us next season and we'll work something out".

I'd just like if we could sign a big name southern hemisphere lock without him knocking up his missus the moment he arrives!

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd just like if we could sign a big name southern hemisphere lock without him knocking up his missus the moment he arrives!

Must be the sea air over here that acts as an aphrodisiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

More like the cold winter nights!

• Advertisement

Clause in the contracts from now on maybe?

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Once the stadium name sale has been properly announced as the Durex dome I'm sure the players will receive complimentary packs, the same way they receive cars from the car partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They don't need to agree anything with Leinster to bring him to the World Cup. It's only if they want him to be signed to an ARU deal.

yeah I meant the talk of contracts was being blown out of proportion and that maybe they are just brining him in because it might be convenient during the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

salmocab wrote: »
    yeah I meant the talk of contracts was being blown out of proportion and that maybe they are just brining him in because it might be convenient during the WC

Could be simply that if they get an injury at lock, KD could head straight over and there would be no concern about jet lag etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm amazed at you all, I really am.

It's almost halfway through summer and not one of you have discussed the new jersey and how outraged you'll be when it's revealed?

You've changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

.ak wrote: »
    I'm amazed at you all, I really am.

It's almost halfway through summer and not one of you have discussed the new jersey and how outraged you'll be when it's revealed?

You've changed.

Lol.

Any idea as to reveal date? Irish jersey is next week so I'm guessing week after found leinster or towards end of month?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

None, actually it's all quite quiet regarding that, haven't even seen our new training kit yet.

I have it on very reliable authority that the new jersey will be very similar to the new Irish one. So once we see the Irish one next week we'll pretty much know what it'll look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I have it on very reliable authority that the new jersey will be very similar to the new Irish one. So once we see the Irish one next week we'll pretty much know what it'll look like.

Green? :eek: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Uriel. wrote: »
    Green? :eek: :p

Sure!

319070.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement