Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I was really disappointed with Douglas last season, considering that he has pedigree. Still would be disappointing to lose him, he still might not be able to leave, I imagine he's on quite a bit of money.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with Douglas last season, considering that he has pedigree. Still would be disappointing to lose him, he still might not be able to leave, I imagine he's on quite a bit of money.

I was disappointed with many, many, many leinster players last season.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is Denton gone or wha?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is Denton gone or wha?

Nope! We've stuck with him, he's going to be the #1 ginger lock in Ireland next season, taking over POC's reins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nope! We've stuck with him, he's going to be the #1 ginger lock in Ireland next season, taking over POC's reins.

Darragh Fanning is better than him surely? I mean I know he doesn't play in that position techincally but he's so good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Bring back Roux, MOC did a number on him, he is a good player, he thrives on gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Interesting perspective on Douglas from a considered Aussie fan out in the ether.

1) He's homesick? Tough, let him pay his own release, ARU havent the money.

2) Not worth it to call up what will be a fringe RWC squad player.

3) Not a good player anyway "built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

matthew8 wrote: »
    He only started 15 games for us. It's not like we ran him into the ground.

He did get injured in March in fairness. And he never got a break from rugby having come straight from the end of the Tahs season to the start of Leinsters. He played 20 games in all. Given that he missed over 2 months of the season to injury that's a significant amount added on top of the SH season.

He wasn't great and I'm not sure he would have been a massive success here over the course of the 3 years, but I reckon we'd have gotten a fair bit more out of him this season if he hadn't been called up to the Aussie squad and stayed here. Would it have been enough for us to want him to stay on? Possibly not. But I don't like the idea of writing off the guy completely on the back of such a long season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

IRFU Player Contract Policy Agreed To Aid Development Of Irish-Qualified Players:
    (21 December 2011 IRFU website)

"For the 2013/14 season and onwards, for any given position involving a contracted NIE player, a province will not be permitted to renew that NIE player contract or bring in a new NIE player into that same position in its squad."

I'm not sure if a NIQ Project player counts, but according to the IRFU a NIE player cannot replace another NIE in the same position.

"One non-Irish eligible (NIE) player only in each of the 15 field positions across the provinces of Leinster, Munster and Ulster e.g. one foreign player allowed across all three teams per position."

Franco Van Der Merve is in Ulster til end of 2015/16 season, so that takes up the other lock position, (in case of trying to replace Douglas with a lock in the other lock position).

Perhaps Leinster could argue that if a contract is broken by the player, then another NIE could replace for the remaining term of the broken contract, i.e. in Douglas' case, two more years.
    In fairness, Leinster have a good case, but is it that it's in the nature of taking on a NIE in the first place there's a certain risk/reward with each signing and it's up to each province to select their players carefully, and it's tough luck if it doesn't work out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Those rules are no longer in force. Not all of them anyway, Eg both Ulster and Munster have foreign tight heads

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The situation with Douglas is fairly disappointing. He's decided he wants to pack it in after Roux and Marshall have signed for Connacht. Leinster are an injury away from disaster in the 2nd row next season.

If he doesn't want to be here then he should be let go. But it's not good form imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

molloyjh wrote: »

Why would Brown want to move sideways to be assistant at Leinster? At the moment his career is on an upward trend. If he comes to a Cullen-coached Leinster and there isn't any success he will be associated with an unsuccessful coaching "ticket" despite not being head coach. I would have thought head coach or not at all.

I have seen not one NZ website alluding to this by the way. I don't know if it is pure hope by Irish websites or if there is any substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Denton going would be good news for Mick Kearney - I think some of ye Leinster fans don't realise just how good a player ye are getting
    Bring back Roux, MOC did a number on him, he is a good player, he thrives on gametime

Letting Roux and Cooney go are two more errors to add to MOC's legacy - both thriving out the West:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Why would Brown want to move sideways to be assistant at Leinster? At the moment his career is on an upward trend. If he comes to a Cullen-coached Leinster and there isn't any success he will be associated with an unsuccessful coaching "ticket" despite not being head coach. I would have thought head coach or not at all.

I have seen not one NZ website alluding to this by the way. I don't know if it is pure hope by Irish websites or if there is any substance.

He clearly wouldn't, and as he essentially said a few weeks back he'd no interest in moving when linked with the head coach job, I would imaging the article above is just fiction.

I reckon he was approached, but that's as good as it ever got or was going to get. Sadly. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Those rules are no longer in force. Not all of them anyway, Eg both Ulster and Munster have foreign tight heads

Herbst signed a 3 year contract as a NIQ. He's not a NIE.
    Any other examples, or a resource that says those rules don't apply any longer?

I reckon he was approached, but that's as good as it ever got or was going to get. Sadly. :(

It's a big call for a NZ coach to make. Not only would he be saying goodbye to coaching his highlanders once Joseph moves on but it also rules him out of being involved with NZ.

David Nucifora said as much in an interview a while back, but the fact that Botha was allowed to move from Ulster to Munster violated the rules, as did Pienaar's recent extension.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Herbst is a project player.

And I don't think Pienaar would have got his deal if we had (or could have signed) an Irish 9 of any decent standard.

The point is correct though, the rules have been seriously relaxed and the IRFU are just using common sense now. No point in needlessly weaking a team for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Pity they didn't use common sense with Hines. :(

It's a big call for a NZ coach to make. Not only would he be saying goodbye to coaching his highlanders once Joseph moves on but it also rules him out of being involved with NZ.

Yeah if he was under the radar then he'd be a possibility, but at this stage he really isn't at all. Once he's garnered some attention he was always going to be a long shot. I'd love to see someone like him in the role though.

Yeah if he was under the radar then he'd be a possibility, but at this stage he really isn't at all. Once he's garnered some attention he was always going to be a long shot. I'd love to see someone like him in the role though.

Is there no-one local molloy? There must be some decent up and coming Irish coaches, no?

Is there no-one local molloy? There must be some decent up and coming Irish coaches, no?

Dempsey is as good as we have. And tbh I wouldn't write him off. He had the As playing some really good stuff. But that's a whole different ball game compared to senior level. I'm excited to see how he goes without having massive expectations. Which is probably a good thing overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

B.J. Botha, Ruan Pienaar, Isa Nacewa,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Conor O'Shea - would like to see him given a shot -

Leo would be a gamble, that may or may not work out

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd like to see Declan Kidney get a shot. Has a point to prove post-Ireland, is familiar with Leinster (both on and off the field) and he himself is a backs coach.

Currently unemployed (in pro rugby) and wouldn't command a bumper salary so he's actually the perfect fit. Would send a strong message to the rest of the league that Leinster are not quite ready to slip off into the shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jacothelad wrote: »
    B.J. Botha, Ruan Pienaar, Isa Nacewa,

Is Nacewa against the rules? With him we're at 3 + 1, i thought that was the limit

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is Nacewa against the rules? With him we're at 3 + 1, i thought that was the limit

He got an extension under Joe which was against the rules.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I'd like to see Declan Kidney get a shot. Has a point to prove post-Ireland, is familiar with Leinster (both on and off the field) and he himself is a backs coach.

Currently unemployed (in pro rugby) and wouldn't command a bumper salary so he's actually the perfect fit. Would send a strong message to the rest of the league that Leinster are not quite ready to slip off into the shadows.

But... are you... you can't be... he's a total... noooooooooooo

Why don't we take Kiss and send Deccie up to Kingsmill Park?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement