Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

scott1974 wrote: »
    Munster and Connacht are playing Grenoble Pre-Season... that would be one I'd go and see...strange no fixture for Leinster with the Jackman connection!!

Oh I would have loved that! Mosely is not exactly a glamour fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Munster and Connacht are playing Grenoble Pre-Season... that would be one I'd go and see...strange no fixture for Leinster with the Jackman connection!!

Or not strange at all given his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Jamie Hagan's off to melbourne rebels on a 2yr deal after hes finished providing world cup cover at leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Buer wrote: »
    Or not strange at all given his book.

The concussion stuff and Cheika??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I heard a certain poster on here saw Carlos Spencer looking at houses in Dundrum over the weekend.

You're quite mistaken I'm afraid. Unless Carlos has dyed his hair ginger and developed a Cork accent and an aversion to wingers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Jamie Hagan's off to melbourne rebels on a 2yr deal after hes finished providing world cup cover at leinster

That sounds like a good deal for him - fair play - I wish him luck.

The concussion stuff and Cheika??

Pretty much. Didn't paint Leinster back room in a great light. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fogarty is Leinster A team and academy coach and the other hooker never got a sniff of a coaching job despite taking on any bit of coaching work he possibly could.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno if that's fully true.

You could say Fogarty has worked himself up the ladder from a lowly development officer position whereas Jackman seemed to want to jump straight into Senior coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »

You could say Fogarty has worked himself up the ladder from a lowly development officer position whereas Jackman seemed to want to jump straight into Senior coaching.

Do you consider coaching at AIL level first 'senior coaching'?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    Do you consider coaching at AIL level first 'senior coaching'?
    Jackman coached Michaels to victory in the senior cup too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What do you mean by senior coaching? Senior as in senior club level ie AIL or pro rugby?
    Wouldn't exactly say Fogarty was a "lowly" development officer. He's been an elite development officer working with academy/sub academy since retirement
    Jackman went up the levels as a coach from coaching Leinster junior clubs to the AIL to pro level. Jackman didn't jump straight to senior coaching

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No but it was his aim, to get into Senior asap, whereas Fogarty took a much more slower route.

In comparison to a scrum or forwards coaching spot for the first team a development officer would be a lowly position, relatively speaking.

I would consider coaching an AIL first team as Senior coaching too as you're working with adults at good level of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's nothing in that, there's no link between Grenoble's preseason opponents and Jackman's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No but it was his aim, to get into Senior asap, whereas Fogarty took a much more slower route.

In comparison to a scrum or forwards coaching spot for the first team a development officer would be a lowly position, relatively speaking.

I would consider coaching an AIL first team as Senior coaching too as you're working with adults at good level of rugby.
    I don't think you can really say Fogarty took a much slower route. There's no real way to show one way is faster than other..
    Fogarty was more than simply a development officer, guys who bring the sport to schools etc to get kids into clubs and playing the sport. Fogarty was working with the best underage players on provincial teams, in academy set up. He was an elite player DO.
    Jackman worked with several clubs in the leinster junior leagues, j1 rugby, before coaching in the AIL while Fogarty has worked coaching provincial age grade sides as well as academy/sub academy players

I would view it as Fogarty went into professional coaching while Jackman took a more grassroots, circuitous route to where he is.

He coached Clontarf, DCU, St. Michael's and was even involved in Wexford GAA after retiring. He said before that going to Grenoble was his last roll of the dice to stay in the game as he couldn't get a job in Ireland at that point.

I can't shake the notion that he simply wasn't particularly popular after his book. With that said, I don't particularly rate him too highly as a coach either which might well be the crux of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Buer wrote: »
    I would view it as Fogarty went into professional coaching while Jackman took a more grassroots, circuitous route to where he is.

He coached Clontarf, DCU, St. Michael's and was even involved in Wexford GAA after retiring. He said before that going to Grenoble was his last roll of the dice to stay in the game as he couldn't get a job in Ireland at that point.

I can't shake the notion that he simply wasn't particularly popular after his book. With that said, I don't particularly rate him too highly as a coach either which might well be the crux of the matter.

Fogarty also took a number of coaching roles before being offered the development coaching role. He was St Marys SCT's forwards coach before getting the job.

Fogarty also took a number of coaching roles before being offered the development coaching role. He was St Marys SCT's forwards coach before getting the job.

I know he was coaching DLSP but he was doing that while with Leinster as many players do.

He retired in the 2010/11 season (all be it early in that season) and was appointed as an EPDO for Leinster early in the 2011/12 season so had a pretty rapid appointment to the professional game.

In comparison, Jackman spent 3 years knocking around Ireland after retirement bouncing around jobs before going to France as he couldn't get a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Douglas released with immediate effect.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13715.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Douglas released with immediate effect.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13715.php

Not surprising given the previous discussion but disappointing nonetheless.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster in a bit of a pickle now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Between this and the Teo rumours, it's all quite disappointing. Hopefully we can bring another lock in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's not good and leaves us very light at lock, all in all this season may be a bit of a shambles, between inexperienced coaches and lack of depth in certain areas.

Ah well :(

Etzebeth after the world cup will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Between this and the Teo rumours, it's all quite disappointing. Hopefully we can bring another lock in
    Any talk of € for Douglas?

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any talk of € for Douglas?

Leinster will have got compensated for him breaking contract.

The problem is it's very late to be signing players for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

2nd row is a cursed position. I'm sure Neil Francis is somehow responsible.

#MOKIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

The most surprising aspect of that announcement is the fact that he made 20 appearances for us (15+5); I would have put it at a lot less.

It's a shame we didn't get to see the best of him and it throws a major spanner in the works for this season.

Maybe POC can do a Quade Cooper on it and turn his back on Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's a pity. I now kinda hope he doesn't discover the form Cheika's been banging on about! I'll be sick!

Are ARU breaking the bank to get all these guys back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

#MOKIN

There's a lad in the Schools cup team who'll get a game before he's needed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement