Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

Leinster's second row imports (in reverse order)

2015 - Mick Kearney
    2014 - Kane Douglas (left after 1 season - 20 appearances)
    2013 - Mike McCarthy (still here! - 51 appearances)
    2012 - Brad Thorn (8 games of steel)
    2012 - Tom Denton (Still here! - 35 appearances)
    2012 - Quinn Roux (Left after 2 seasons - 21 appearances)
    2011 - Steven Sykes (Left after 1 season - 4 appearances)
    2010 - Mariano Galarza (Left mid season - 4 appearances)
    2009 - Nathan Hines (Saw out his contract - 46 appearances)
    2008 ???
    2007 ???
    2006 - Trevor Hogan (5 seasons - 59 appearances)
    2006 - Owen Finegan (1 season - 24 appearances)
    2005 - Cameron Jowitt (3 seasons - 57 appearances)
    2004 ???
    2003 ???
    2002 - Ben Gissing (4 seasons - 74 appearances)

Anyone else? It's not pretty reading recently compared to what we had been used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

We could use McLaughlin mainly at lock for the start of the season? Might not be too bad...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Leinster is falling to pieces at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Leinster is falling to pieces at the moment

If Leinster got the 150k - 200k reported to get an underperforming player off the books, then hardly.

How are ARU suddenly willing to pay to break contracts? Last I read they were broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wonder if we could buy a scrumhalf with that cash. I'm happy enough with Toner, Maccer, and Kearney. Denton actually had some good appearances...

I wish we kept Ben tho.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I wonder if we could buy a scrumhalf with that cash. I'm happy enough with Toner, Maccer, and Kearney. Denton actually had some good appearances...

I wish we kept Ben tho.
    Leinster have to buy a nine if one becomes available. At their ages I can't see Reddan and Boss resurrecting previous form and as we've seen a struggling nine can nullify a lot.

Would be a grand time for an oul squad recap if someone wants to do one.

Interesting to see how thin we'll be during the Internationals, and then also where we're starting to creak with not much youth available...

Interesting to see how thin we'll be during the Internationals, and then also where we're starting to creak with not much youth available...

It's difficult to do when Leinster don't publish contract lengths anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I wish we kept Ben tho.
    Nowhere near enough players in an attritional position like lock though, especially with Toner pretty much a guaranteed Irish starter these days. An injury to even one guy and we'll struggle to get 3 locks into a match-day squad.

Sangre wrote: »
    Nowhere near enough players in an attritional position like lock though, especially with Toner pretty much a guaranteed Irish starter these days. An injury to even one guy and we'll struggle to get 3 locks into a match-day squad.

Step forward the lanky academy lads.

Beirne, Thornbury and Molony will have to do some filling in (even if not ready!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I wish we kept Ben tho.

Where did Marshall go?

It's not the end of the world, Kearney is a fine player and as long as you don't get any injuries, you'll be okay. There is a bit of a step-down to Denton but I guess it's the same for everybody. Even Munster, where it's traditionally been a position of strength, are looking very light with POC gone and Holland injured.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not the end of the world but I imagine he was someone Leinster were looking to rely on and provide a bit of leadership during the World Cup and 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Where did Marshall go?

It's not the end of the world, Kearney is a fine player and as long as you don't get any injuries, you'll be okay. There is a bit of a step-down to Denton but I guess it's the same for everybody. Even Munster, where it's traditionally been a position of strength, are looking very light with POC gone and Holland injured.

A loan to Connacht that was made permanent iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Where did Marshall go?

Denton would be a step down in a big game but as a bench player (behind Kearney and McCarthy presumably) or even starter during the world cup period he really isnt that bad. Its after that where it might be a problem, although I like what Ive seen from Molony

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I blame Franno!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah well :(

Etzebeth after the world cup will do.

What about the one NIQ player per position, already taken up in Ulster, and with Munster also looking for a replacement for POC Leinster might have to join the queue...

I wish we kept Ben tho.

Kearney's a good solid lock but seems to get injured a fair bit. Toner will be gone for a large part of the season with Ireland. Possible McCarthy too if there are injuries in the Irish squad. Might need a short-term replacement at some stage during the season if they're not going to have a crisis when/if two of the locks are injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

If Leinster got the 150k - 200k reported to get an underperforming player off the books, then hardly.

How are ARU suddenly willing to pay to break contracts? Last I read they were broke!

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Oh, all right then:
    So the senior squad for next season then:

LH: Healy, McGrath, Bent, Byrne, Hirst
    Hooker: Cronin, Strauss, Byrne, Dundon, Tracy
    TH: Ross, Moore, Furlong, Burke-Flynn, Hagan (short-term)
    Second-row: Toner, McCarthy, Kearney, Denton, Beirne (short-term), Thornbury
    Back-row: SOB, Ruddock, Heaslip, Murphy, McLaughlin, D Ryan, Conan, Leavy, van der Flier, T Ryan (short-term)
    SH: Reddan, Boss, McGrath
    OH: Sexton, Madigan, Marsh
    Centre: Te'o, Reid, O'Shea
    Back-three: R Kearney, Fitzgerald, D Kearney, McFadden, Kirchner, Fanning, McGrath, Nacewa

Question marks over Dundon and D'Arcy as to if/how long they'll be around.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zzippy wrote: »
    What about the one NIQ player per position, already taken up in Ulster, and with Munster also looking for a replacement for POC Leinster might have to join the queue...

I'd say we can forget all about those rules now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

awec wrote: »
    I'd say we can forget all about those rules now.

Surely
    a) "lock" would count as two positions anyway, i.e. FVDM and An Other would still be within the rules and
    b) Munster have explicitly said they're not looking for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

The ARU did not pay, but Leinster did receive payment(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Surely
    a) "lock" would count as two positions anyway, i.e. FVDM and An Other would still be within the rules and
    b) Munster have explicitly said they're not looking for anyone.

Referred to by Howlett here, where it's pretty clear that Munster are indeed looking for someone,
    News broke last month of the Ireland captain’s decision to join Toulon after the World Cup, leaving his home province with a massive hole to fill in their second row as well as their leadership group.

Head coach Anthony Foley signalled their intention to open a dialogue with the IRFU about the possibility of going to the market even before that, despite the fact that they already have two non-Irish qualified (NIQs) and another pair of special project players on the books.

While it is mentioned that the one NIQ per position is now just a guideline, it's not clear at all that the IRFU would sanction 3 NIQ second rows.
    IRFU rules state that there should be no more than one NIQ player per position between Munster, Leinster and Ulster, but that has diluted into more of a guideline in recent years, thus allowing the provinces more room for manoeuvre.

Leinster, for example, employed Australian Kane Douglas in their second row last season while Ulster used the South African Franco van der Merwe.

With Douglas seeking a return home on compassionate grounds, there would appear to be ample wiggle room.

“We have one place, I think,” said Howlett who works on the commercial side for Munster.

“They are looking at options. As you say, it is a complicated process. It is not just as simple as identifying a player and bringing him in. We have to go through the process of the IRFU. At this stage, we have to look through the squad and it is a challenge…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zynks wrote: »
    The ARU did not pay, but Leinster did receive payment(s).

Planet Rugby are saying the ARU didn't pay for Cooper to break his contract
    Speaking to the Courier Mail, Clarke suggested that the matter was one for Cooper and his agent, not the ARU, saying that the union would not be paying any of Cooper's alleged get-out clause of $200,000 (AUS).

“We will leave that very much in the hands of Quade and his management. That is their issue... and the ARU really isn’t planning on being involved in it,” said Clarke.

“It is very difficult if or when a player has actually signed or contracts are registered. It is not as though the Australian Rugby Union gets notified by the French that our players are being registered over there.

"It is very much in the hands of Quade and his manager on how they move forward on that.

So can't see them paying for Douglas either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Douglas had a poor season. The home game against the Dragons he was slow getting off the ground and Jennings went through his verbally at next break in play. A good 30 seconds bollocking. Summed it up for me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Planet Rugby are saying the ARU didn't pay for Cooper to break his contract

So can't see them paying for Douglas either

He clearly wasn't very happy here and wanted to go home. Very hard not to just let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tsofitch

shaungil wrote: »
    Douglas had a poor season. The home game against the Dragons he was slow getting off the ground and Jennings went through his verbally at next break in play. A good 30 seconds bollocking. Summed it up for me there.

He he had a pretty poor season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

tsofitch wrote: »
    He he had a pretty poor season!

Agreed. It seemed to have been just one of those things where he didn't settle off the field and that clearly carried over into his poor form on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

eire4 wrote: »
    Agreed. It seemed to have been just one of those things where he didn't settle off the field and that clearly carried over into his poor form on the field.

The guy went straight from a Super Rugby season into Leinster. He had no break at all. We need to remember that when judging the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

molloyjh wrote: »
    The guy went straight from a Super Rugby season into Leinster. He had no break at all. We need to remember that when judging the guy.

Thats a fair point to add in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Leinster's second row imports (in reverse order)

2015 - Mick Kearney
    2014 - Kane Douglas (left after 1 season - 20 appearances)
    2013 - Mike McCarthy (still here! - 51 appearances)
    2012 - Brad Thorn (8 games of steel)
    2012 - Tom Denton (Still here! - 35 appearances)
    2012 - Quinn Roux (Left after 2 seasons - 21 appearances)
    2011 - Steven Sykes (Left after 1 season - 4 appearances)
    2010 - Mariano Galarza (Left mid season - 4 appearances)
    2009 - Nathan Hines (Saw out his contract - 46 appearances)
    2008 ???
    2007 ???
    2006 - Trevor Hogan (5 seasons - 59 appearances)
    2006 - Owen Finegan (1 season - 24 appearances)
    2005 - Cameron Jowitt (3 seasons - 57 appearances)
    2004 ???
    2003 ???
    2002 - Ben Gissing (4 seasons - 74 appearances)

Anyone else? It's not pretty reading recently compared to what we had been used to!

Ed O'Donoghue?

8 appearances in 2010/11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement