Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Adam Byrnes, Bryce Williams?

Finnegan and Jowitt played large amount of rugby at flanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

maybe they could get Mark Flanagan back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Buer wrote: »
    Adam Byrnes, Bryce Williams?
    Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Ed O'Donoghue?

Dear god make it stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ClintNewland_LeinstervDragons_rdax_365x365_80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Williams was grand. Didn't really settle long term but was roughly the standard of Hogan when going well.

Big Ben was a personal favourite although never found his feet here.

• Advertisement

Leinster's second row imports (in reverse order)

2015 - Mick Kearney
    2014 - Kane Douglas (left after 1 season - 20 appearances)
    2013 - Mike McCarthy (still here! - 51 appearances)
    2012 - Brad Thorn (8 games of steel)
    2012 - Tom Denton (Still here! - 35 appearances)
    2012 - Quinn Roux (Left after 2 seasons - 21 appearances)
    2011 - Damien Browne (2 season - 31 appearances)
    2011 - Steven Sykes (Left after 1 season - 4 appearances)
    2010 - Ed O'Donoghue (Left after 1 season - 8 appearances)
    2010 - Mariano Galarza (Left mid season - 4 appearances)
    2009 - Nathan Hines (Saw out his contract - 46 appearances)
    2008 ???
    2007 ???
    2006 - Trevor Hogan (5 seasons - 59 appearances)
    2006 - Owen Finegan (1 season - 24 appearances)
    2005 - Cameron Jowitt (3 seasons - 57 appearances)
    2005 - Adam Byrnes (2 seasons - 17 appearances)
    2004 ???
    2003 ???
    2002 - Ben Gissing (4 seasons - 74 appearances)

Anyone else? It's not pretty reading recently compared to what we had been used to!

updated :(

15 16 locks brought in over 13 seasons...

4 of which made less than 10 appearances for Leinster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ClintNewland_LeinstervDragons_rdax_365x365_80.jpg

Give the guy a metal gum shield and its jaws!

4 of which made less than 10 appearances for Leinster

Galarza was never meant to be anything more than a short-term stand-in, and I think Brad Thorn made his 8 games count, in fairness.

O'Donoghue and Sykes were serious let downs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Galarza was never meant to be anything more than a short-term stand-in, and I think Brad Thorn made his 8 games count, in fairness.

Thorn managed to make himself a Leinster legend in a spectacularly short amount of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I forgot EOD played up in Ulster, for some reason I thought he came from UL Bohs seconds or third team!

• Advertisement

Actually, Big Damian Browne should be on that list. Only 31 games over two seasons but definitely a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I forgot EOD played up in Ulster, for some reason I thought he came from UL Bohs seconds or third team!

He played like he played for their 2nd or 3rd team by the time he got down to us. Such a disappointment.

EOD was the biggest disappointment of the bunch.

There are actually decent Leinster-bred 2nd rows out there. Eoin Sherriff and Alan O'Connor for example. We can bring them back in future if they're interested, just as we've done with Mick Kearney this season. For a the disappointment of failed signings the ultimate goal should be to produce our own players in the position anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Bring back Brad still has years left in him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

or coax Hines out of semi retirement for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well bringing in Mike McCarthy was a good day's work - he didn't seem great at first, but he is well stitched in now and we would be lost without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

So best case scenario, our pack will be looking like this for a couple of months?:

Byrne - Byrne - Furlong
    McCarthy - Kearney
    Ruddock - Conan - Ryan

Dundon/Tracey, Dooley, Hagan, Denton, McLaughlin

It's not awful... But it really starts getting ropey after that.

There's a lot of conditions... Relying on the Byrne twins to really step up, Ryan and Conan to really kick on from last season, McCarthy to stay at a high performance and energy level, McLaughlin and Ruddock to come back from injuries well, Hagan and Kearney to be ready to go straight away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Leinster are going to need a replacement 2nd row but who might be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What I've learned from this is locks are fickle creatures.

Long live the back three club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Kearney's out for a few more months I think, so Denton or maybe even Locky might start

Mike McCarthy is 33 now, but thankfully locks seem to have a pretty good shelf life. He hasn't had too many injuries - main exception being when Ian Evans did a dance on his head. But if he were to get injured early doors, we'd be in a right bit of trouble. We really could do with getting in another lock, but I have no idear where we could find one.

• Advertisement

Actually, Big Damian Browne should be on that list. Only 31 games over two seasons but definitely a hit.

Jesus, a bad one to forget. Probably the biggest over-performer relative to their standing when they arrived at the club bar Hines.

Gave more than he had!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jesus, a bad one to forget. Probably the biggest over-achiever relative to their standing when they arrived at the club bar Hines.

Yeah, brilliant player imo even if his skill levels weren't up to scratch (was woeful on restarts), but his work rate and strength was satisfying to watch. Biggest lats I've seen crammed into a rugby jersey! Such a pity he was plagued with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was there a better man for an away game in a hostile stronghold than Damian Browne. If this was a century a go I think he'd be called up as the first lad to go over the top everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

aimee1 wrote: »
    Leinster are going to need a replacement 2nd row but who might be available?

I might be only 6'2" and retired a few years now, but if they made me the right offer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Scythica

Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Would any kind soul like to PM me the promo code for the free Moseley tickets.

Whatever I did with my emails I can only find the mail with the 20% off code.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

mailforkev wrote: »
    Would any kind soul like to PM me the promo code for the free Moseley tickets.

Whatever I did with my emails I can only find the mail with the 20% off code.

Whoa whoa whoa, free tickets? I didn't get anything about free tickets.

Whoa whoa whoa, free tickets? I didn't get anything about free tickets.

It's on the drop down meny - FREE or 20% off. I was wondering about the FREE bit too. I'm not going to commit to forking out €16 to see us play......Mosely!....If I happen to be here, I'll amble down on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's on the drop down meny - FREE or 20% off. I was wondering about the FREE bit too. I'm not going to commit to forking out €16 to see us play......Mosely!....If I happen to be here, I'll amble down on the day.

Ah yes, and agree I don't think I'll be paying for the tickets now, I think its quite poor that a STH has to pay for these games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

€16 is still a rip-off for a game like that.

There should have been x000 tickets given out free on a first come first served basis to STHs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement