Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

molloyjh wrote: »

Is there? According to the Indo he'll be signing with Leinster for 2 years. Where are you hearing that?

He heard it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96390723&postcount=4478

TBH I'd be more worried about Murphy becoming backs coach than Leo becoming head coach - I can see Leo's credentials even if his lack of experience is an issue, Murphy is obviously very highly-rated by both Leinster and Ireland but...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Richie Murphy is highly rated by Joe Schmidt. That's all I need to give him a decent chance. I have no idea what he's like as a backs coach so I'm happy to see what happens. Certainly I have no idea what .ak is basing his idea that Dempsey is a better backs coach than Murphy!

Did Murphy take the backs for the As in the McEntee days?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Richie Murphy is highly rated by Joe Schmidt. That's all I need to give him a decent chance. I have no idea what he's like as a backs coach so I'm happy to see what happens. Certainly I have no idea what .ak is basing his idea that Dempsey is a better backs coach than Murphy!

Did Murphy take the backs for the As in the McEntee days?

I don't think so. There's no mention of it on his profile anyway. The below article suggests he has been a lot more involved in things than his role might suggest but throwing out ideas and communicating plays decided by others isn't the same as being a backs coach.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro12/leinsters-kicking-king-murphy-keen-to-branch-out-30527952.html

Richie is a good guy and I defended him a bit last season with his double jobbing. Like Leo he may work out really well. But there's far too much maybe and hopefully about that suggested (because we don't know how true this is yet) coaching set-up for my liking.

Surprised at the optimism here. Our forwards really weren't great for large parts of last season. If Leo had come from any other club other than Leinster there would be uproar.

I'm usually quite optimistic but I don't see this as a positive to be honest. That said, if Leo was hampered by MOC last season and is otherwise a star coach in the making I'll be delighted, good few if's there though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well its official now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Delighted with the news. The MOC is dead, long live the MOC... :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Any chance this is a Steve Staunton style appointment? Couldn't get any big name proven coach in so give it to Leo. The fans will give him a bit more of a chance because they want him to succeed, if it all goes wrong Leo will take the blame and by that time they may have been able to get someone else lined up?

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's a crazy deal, but it's been done now so may as well get behind him.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13765.php#.VdRcMLNVhBc
    Leinster Rugby and the IRFU have this morning announced Leo Cullen as Head Coach of the province on a two-year deal.

Not really sure what to make of this
    "It was a thorough and robust interview process and we took our time to ensure that this was the case. The process included the input of all relevant stakeholders, and ultimately Leo was the best candidate that we interviewed."

Long term deals for all. Miniature Leinster flags for others.
    Kurt McQuilkin's short term arrangement has been extended to a two year contract as defence coach. As had previously been announced John Fogarty is in place as provincial scrum coach and Girvan Dempsey is in on a short term contract as backs coach until after the Rugby World Cup. Richie Murphy who is currently with the national team as they continue their RWC preparations will rejoin the Leinster Rugby set-up as skills and kicking coach post Ireland's involvement in the tournament.

• Advertisement

Basically they are saying it's the best they could do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The set up with the Irish provinces playing second fiddle to the national team during the 6 Nations is bound to make it hard to attract coaches. This season is even worse with the World Cup meaning Leinster are without the bulk of their 1st team for the first 2 months of the season, at least, then they're back for a few weeks, then off to the 6 Nations. You're talking the season after before a new coach can actually put any real stamp on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

OSI wrote: »
    Typo

Declan-Kidney-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sounds like Murphy comes back as skills/kicking coach again, so still no idea who the backs coach will be!

Happy to have it sorted. I'm a big fan of Cullen, let the new era begin.

It's absolutely disgraceful that Kidney was not approached for this job. Leinster have let their supporters down big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not remotely optimistic about this to be honest.

"It was a thorough and robust interview process and we took our time to ensure that this was the case. The process included the input of all relevant stakeholders, and ultimately Leo was the best candidate that we interviewed."

That sentence is particularly telling. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    It's absolutely disgraceful that Kidney was not approached for this job. Leinster have let their supporters down big time.
    Or Brian McLaughlin......:)

jacothelad wrote: »
    Or Brian McLaughlin......:)

He's signed on at BRA, which is probably a more attractive prospect than Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sounds like Murphy comes back as skills/kicking coach again, so still no idea who the backs coach will be!

Happy to have it sorted. I'm a big fan of Cullen, let the new era begin.

I'm a big fan of Leo too. As a player. As a coach I've yet to make up my mind because it's way too early in his career to judge.

As you said before though it's obviously a case that candidates were short on the ground. There are a number of reasons for this though. The timing and lack of lead in time for finding a new coach was always going to be prohibitive. Going into the RWC most of the main squad were not going to be available for over half the season which makes the position that bit less attractive. The sacking of MOC is also another thing that would be noted and may have made the position a bit less attractive.

Next season however Leinster will have far better access to its stars and between now and then there's a good time frame for finding someone new. I worry that we've appointed an inexperienced and unproven coach who will be there in a season when we could potentially have a better option available. Are we tying our hands behind our backs for 16/17 when we don't really need to be? I know you don't think a single year appointment was feasible, but personally I think if managed properly it was perfectly feasible.

Either way the appointment has been made now. I've my concerns about it but I'll get behind Leo and co now and hopefully they prove those concerns unfounded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Not delighted by this news really...could they not have just given 1 year so he could be a stop gap before we found someone else? Although I guess a year isn't exactly a fair shot to make your mark on the team.

Seems the delay in announcement was down to concerns from Nucifora?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/ultimately-leo-was-the-best-candidate-leinster-confirm-cullen-as-new-head-coach-31462999.html

It has to be said, Leinster's PR is really terrible sometimes.
    "Leo's status as a player is beyond question," he said.

So what? You aren't signing him to play, so why scrape the barrel trying to find justification?
    He is second only to Gordon D'Arcy in terms of senior appearances and he was an outstanding captain and leader on the pitch. Over the last 12 months or so in his capacity with the forwards and indeed over the pre-season as interim Head Coach, Leo has continued to impress everyone at Leinster with his tactical and strategic direction.

Great, he has a lot of Leinster appearances. Does Mick Dawson think D'Arcy would be a better appointment cause he has even more?

Furthermore, Leinster forwards were hardly particularly impressive last season.
    "It was a thorough and robust interview process and we took our time to ensure that this was the case. The process included the input of all relevant stakeholders, and ultimately Leo was the best candidate that we interviewed.”

Was he the only candidate you interviewed?

Did Leinster take their time, or were Leinster forced to take their time by Nucifora and the IRFU who by all accounts had concerns about this proposed appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jobs for the boyos. This is going to be bad.

Excited to see what Girve can do with the backs. He's earned his shot unlike Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Teferi wrote: »
    Jobs for the boyos. This is going to be bad.

Excited to see what Girve can do with the backs. He's earned his shot unlike Leo.

Excited to see what Girve can do........ until the end of Oct !

What we know:
    Leo has been given the job

What we don't know:

Who else applied
    How Leo performed in the selection process
    Whether Leinster really want Leo or just had no-one else
    What Nucifora/Schmidt make of the appointment
    Why it took so long to confirm

Just think it might be worthwhile to keep the above in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What we don't know:
    How Leo performed in the selection process

Presumably he performed the best according to Dawsons comment that
    ultimately Leo was the best candidate that we interviewed.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Presumably he performed the best according to Dawsons comment that

That doesn't tell us if he performed well or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Whaaaaaat !

Well by Jupiter's cock, this is one almighty screw up from Leinster. That script from Dawson is some garbage.

To paraphrase if for him :

"We made a right royal mess of managing the Leinster coaching position last year, and were caught out in not agreeing MOCs departure with him earlier and looking for a new coach. We were also caught offside when he offered to leave, realised our error and so took his offer.

But we have been too late now and unable to find a proper coach. So we have got a couple of the lads to do it, and I can waffle on about how great they are to give the impression that they are quality coaches and that they are the result of an exhaustive search for top class leaders. We gave Leo a 2 year deal to try to add a veneer of credibility to this waffle.

But look, I know how bad this is. Any season ticket holders who want their money back, please call the office for a no quibble cancelation."

Or I guess, thats what he really meant to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Whatever about the justification from LR about the appointment, Leo is either very brave or very stupid. I am pretty sure he isn't stupid, so fair play for his bravery.

This is an extremely tough assignment. It was tough without the fact he will be missing a huge core of players for a large part of the season. If he manages to make progress with the team then it will be very good for his CV, very good. But if the team does poorly again then what is next for him? He will have to go find an assistant coach/forward coach role, and that will be harder than it would be if he did it now. It could potentially really set his coaching career back.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it, from the point of view of Leo's coaching career. It really is a gamble. Fair play to him for having the balls to go for it either way. Really hope it works out, for Leinster and for him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement