Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    Did the senior team ever wear this jersey? Is nice.

1043502.jpg

That's a new one too. It has the "chevrons", i.e. the beer belly highlighters. It's a really class jersey though. I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Noopti wrote: »
    It is all relative really. Their are of course differences between the actual jobs, but if an inexperienced coach/manager taking a job which is way above their experience level is a win/win then it should have been the case for Johnson also. The "sure, what has he got to lose" argument isn't the reality. If I was looking to hire a general manager, and a person applied who basically went straight from college to being a general manager of a large organisation, and that didn't prove successful - I wouldn't hire them as my general manager! Simple as. I wouldn't be thinking "ah sure you were young and thrown in the deep end, I'll give you another chance".

Maybe there are clubs out there who would think like that - the way rugby is a business nowadays I sincerely doubt it. I wish Leo all the best, but I think the rumblings that Nucifora isn't keen on the appointment speaks volumes. It smacks of a situation where LR hadn't many options and now they are making the best of a poorly handled and managed situation

You simply cannot equate someone who has never coached before taking the English national team job to someone who was the forwards coach being promoted to the Leinster head coaching job. They're completely different roles and come from different places and not relative.

If Cullen was given the reins of the Irish side tomorrow, it might be comparable. It would be a potential complete PR disaster where no team could be associated with him in future due to how he would be widely perceived within the game. That's where Johnson now is; he's damaged goods and oversaw a farce of a campaign that resulted in massive embarrassment to his union. If Cullen is a failure with Leinster, he can step back and get a job elsewhere. I could easily see him being able to secure a post as a forward coach in France or England even if he was in the bad books within Irish provincial rugby.

As unimpressive as we were last season, Cullen's one year as forwards coach of a top tier club side adds to his CV and significantly strengthens his ability to secure future employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Buer wrote: »
    You simply cannot equate someone who has never coached before taking the English national team job to someone who was the forwards coach being promoted to the Leinster head coaching job. They're completely different roles and come from different places and not relative.

If Cullen was given the reins of the Irish side tomorrow, it might be comparable. It would be a potential complete PR disaster where no team could be associated with him in future due to how he would be widely perceived within the game. That's where Johnson now is; he's damaged goods and oversaw a farce of a campaign that resulted in massive embarrassment to his union. If Cullen is a failure with Leinster, he can step back and get a job elsewhere. I could easily see him being able to secure a post as a forward coach in France or England even if he was in the bad books within Irish provincial rugby.

As unimpressive as we were last season, Cullen's one year as forwards coach of a top tier club side adds to his CV and significantly strengthens his ability to secure future employment.

Fair points. He could step back and get a job as forwards coach or assistant coach somewhere. But even saying it is a step back basically says he made a mistake and lost something. My argument, in the above scenario is this:
    If he stayed as forwards coach at Leinster, working under an experienced head coach or he left Leinster and became forwards/assistant coach under an experienced head coach at another top club, then his future career would have better prospects than him failing as a head coach, with one years forward coaching experience to fall back on.

In the former example, in two years time he has 3 years experience as a forwards/assistant coach. Even if the clubs only do moderately well, or even if Leinster are poor - the main failing will be perceived to be with the head coach.
    In the latter example, in two years time he has 1 year experience as a forwards/assistant coach and 2 years as a failed head coach.

There is no way this is a win/win. There are obvious potential ramifications, and therefore he has something to lose. Even if it that is only 2 more years he could have had learning the trade as a forwards/assistant coach.

Having said all that I heard Jackman recently say that he could be a perfect head coach, as it is completely different to being a forwards coach. So the performance of the forwards last season isn't hugely relevant. Fingers crossed Leo does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I missed this announcement. TWO years. I cannot fathom why he deserves two years. I was unimpressed with his performance last year, and now he gets promoted to head coach for two years - it really smacks of jobs for the boys. I'm really disappointed with LR for this announcement. But he is the coach, and I'll get behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The whole two year argument has been done to death previously. The point is that there's no point in giving him anything less than 2 years. 2 years is the minimum you can genuinely appoint a head coach if you consider all of the other factors at play in the modern game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

The whole two year argument has been done to death previously. The point is that there's no point in giving him anything less than 2 years. 2 years is the minimum you can genuinely appoint a head coach if you consider all of the other factors at play in the modern game.

Yeah, you'd basically be giving your coach the sack before he even started.

Cf: Doak, Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tried on the new jersey there and I have to say I love it. I wasn't at all sure about the white bit at the top but having given it a proper look I'm sold. Wanted to have a look at the classic but they didn't have it in stock. Still I think my minds made up.

Also decided, out of sheer curiosity, to try the Test one as well. Grabbed a large without even looking at it thinking it'd be grand. The thing was feckin' tiny. And I'm not a big guy by any means. Wouldn't go near me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah large is basically the small in a test. If you were an u19 scrum half you'd be buying a large test.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah large is basically the small in a test. If you were an u19 scrum half you'd be buying a large test.

Did you get the large?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't see why you wouldn't be optimistic. Ultimately every top coach's career came about from somebody giving them a shot, we're giving Leo a shot, lets hope he takes it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have an XS in the Ulster test fit jersey. :D

Though I think it's "test fit" with sizes adjusted for the casual punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

One of the major criticisms of MOC was how he was sort of tryin to empower the players to play heads up rugby and how un-joe this was. Maybe Leo reckons he can get them to play a more structured gameplan and will attempt to use a more Schmidt esque style of coaching.

Leo will also look on the return of sexton and nacewa as a major boost in leadership who could be key in driving standards

I also just reckon that Leo, as a naturally competitive person, would back himself rather than not

My season ticket arrived today. Must have timed the Leo announcement for the day the season tickets would drop through letterboxes so it was too late for people to change their minds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads I've a bit of a stupid question
    I bought the season tickets for Leinster Sunday night and I've the confirmation mail

Do they send them out in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads I've a bit of a stupid question
    I bought the season tickets for Leinster Sunday night and I've the confirmation mail

Do they send them out in the post?

Yes they do. Some people have got theirs. I looked at my confirmation mail and noticed it doesn't mention my address anywhere...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes they do. Some people have got theirs. I looked at my confirmation mail and noticed it doesn't mention my address anywhere...

Thanks, are they paper tickets? I had to put in my address when I bought than I think

And do they get you assess to potentially buy Ireland tickets?

Sorry, first time getting a season ticket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks, are they paper tickets? I had to put in my address when I bought than I think

And do they get you assess to potentially buy Ireland tickets?

Sorry, first time getting a season ticket :)

No it's a little credit card type thing.

You might get the chance to enter a draw for Ireland tickets of which you have minimal chance of winning. I don't think you'll ever have the chance to actually go buy 6N tickets or anything.

Leinster season ticket is useless for Ireland tickets.

You'll have to collect your supporters pack at the first few games.

awec wrote: »

Maybe I'm just brilliant but I've got Ireland tickets every season through my Leinster season ticket bar one. Now I just get them through the club.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Did you get the large?

Nah I've never bought a test jersey. I only use jerseys to train in, so I usually prefer the training tshirts or training jerseys, much better value, unless it's a deadly jersey...

• Advertisement

What is this supporters pack of which you speak?
    .ak wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just brilliant but I've got Ireland tickets every season through my Leinster season ticket bar one. Now I just get them through the club.

Ah see I'm not in a club :) But you've given me hope.

I suppose in desperation I could always join Malahide, and prop up the bar :D

What is this supporters pack of which you speak?

Supporters pack revealed

Leinster scarf
    Leinster flag
    Shopper bag
    Hand warmer
    'My Stuff' bag
    Gloss laminated memorabilia box (it's a shoe box)

Supporters pack revealed

Leinster scarf
    Leinster flag
    Shopper bag
    Hand warmer
    'My Stuff' bag
    Gloss laminated memorabilia box (it's a shoe box)

You've reminded me, I need to find my dress ring.

That stuff sounds good, I'll look like a close to genuine supporter, until I get a piece of Leinster clothing :)

And OH can use it to mimic being a supporter.

How do I get this, are there areas to go to collect at matches?

You've reminded me, I need to find my dress ring.

That stuff sounds good, I'll look like a close to genuine supporter, until I get a piece of Leinster clothing :)

And OH can use it to mimic being a supporter.

How do I get this, are there areas to go to collect at matches?

Yep - we pick them up in the RDS at a home match - all will be revealed in and email!

Re Ireland tickets, I have got some in Leinster lotteries in the past, but have found them to be poor tickets - stuck in corners etc.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yep - we pick them up in the RDS at a home match - all will be revealed in and email!

Re Ireland tickets, I have got some in Leinster lotteries in the past, but have found them to be poor tickets - stuck in corners etc.

In a few years I might well be jaded about it all, but it's exciting to have season tickets after following leinster via the telly for years :)

In a few years I might well be jaded about it all, but it's exciting to have season tickets after following leinster via the telly for years :)

I think the season ticket is great value for money. I love going to matches in the RDS - great atmosphere and great craic. Enjoy the season!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This'll be my 5th season on the terrace with my brother :)

Shockingly great value them tickets.

This'll be my 5th season on the terrace with my brother :)

Shockingly great value them tickets.

OMG....just realised that this will be my 8th season in the North stand!

vienne86 wrote: »
    OMG....just realised that this will be my 8th season in the North stand!

Sincere sympathies.

Oh wait, you said stand not side. Sorry nvm.

• Advertisement

Sincere sympathies.

Oh wait, you said stand not side. Sorry nvm.

I'd still be offering my sympathies tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement