Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

jacothelad wrote: »
    In your opinion......

Yep. Also, it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

That is utter bollocks

He was excellent in the 2014 6N.

I'm glad you said that..:)

I doubt Schmidt would have picked out of a sense of loyalty..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Well seeing as his last game in the rds was that pure s***efest against the Italians at the end of last season, he probably deserves a better send off than he got.

I'd say him doing a lap at the end of that night was pretty much the only thing that stopped the team being booed off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Well seeing as his last game in the rds was that pure s***efest against the Italians at the end of last season, he probably deserves a better send off than he got.

I'd say him doing a lap at the end of that night was pretty much the only thing that stopped the team being booed off the pitch.

Undoubtedly. Unfortunately, I think the appetite for glorious send offs is lessened after the dreary long long goodbye for BOD. (Not his fault).

POC, D'arcy, Jennings are all choosing to slip away quietly rather than face that over emotional, embarrassing hype-fest.

He knows what he achieved, he knows how respected he is. He doesn't need balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

LorMal wrote: »
    Undoubtedly. Unfortunately, I think the appetite for glorious send offs is lessened after the dreary long long goodbye for BOD. (Not his fault).

POC, D'arcy, Jennings are all choosing to slip away quietly rather than face that over emotional, embarrassing hype-fest.

He knows what he achieved, he knows how respected he is. He doesn't need balloons.

You might be right. It should be whatever he wants himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

His legs aren't gone, he was unconditioned like the rest of them but it's going to take him 2 - 3 games more to get up to speed.

He's still the best centre we have from a technical point of view and has plenty to offer. If available for the entire season I could see him playing a fair bit when his sharpness picks up again.

You don't just "lose your legs", he's just slower out of the blocks for the first two matches. By October he would probably be around where he was last season but tire more towards the end of the season.

It was very telling for me more than at any time, how after the 2014 6N both BOD and Darcy looked spent, neither reached top form for the remainder of the season.

I'm not so sure, I saw an article a few months back about he was working really hard over the summer just to be ready for the WC. He really shouldn't have been that far off the pace, more than just a lack of sharpness I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

jacothelad wrote: »
    In your opinion......

You leave this thread sir, this is a D'Arcy love in and your bitterness over him keeping Paddy Wallace out of the Irish team is unwelcome..... oh and you can leave one of those young Ulster centres on your way out (Arnold would be good) :)

shuffol wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, I saw an article a few months back about he was working really hard over the summer just to be ready for the WC. He really shouldn't have been that far off the pace, more than just a lack of sharpness I think.

That's all well and good, but training isn't as aggressive or hard hitting as a match and having good fitness doesn't mean you are ready to take hit after hit after hit and then get up and go at it again. Younger players will get their second wind that little bit faster and will have better active recovery during a game in contact sports.

Darcy was similar last year, had some very good spells during the season but he can't do 15+ games a year any more, but if you played him in 10 / 12 he'd be fine and would show up well.

In any case, I stand by what I said - if Darcy played this season he'd have some good games but would struggle to last a 6N campaign as first choice if for whatever reason he found himself in that circumstance.

I would say he will stay training and playing until the world cup final because with cave in the squad I think he could be close to one injury away from getting a call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

POC, Darcy, Jennings are just great Irish players. We have had plenty as good as them in the past, do at the moment, and will in the future.

BOD was a comet that blazed across our skies the likes of which will not be seen for anther hundred years, and even then, unlikely to be in such an influential, tryscoring, matchwinning, stylish, jink-of-dreams positition.
    His send-off was short and muted in the context of his greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BOD was a comet that blazed across our skies the likes of which will not be seen for anther hundred years, and even then, unlikely to be in such an influential, tryscoring, matchwinning, stylish, jink-of-dreams positition.
    Is there nothing to be said for Jonny Sexton then?

Many would consider him the best out half in the world currently and even if some do not, it can't be denied that he's at least one of the best.

What were the chances of having two of the best players in the world in their respective positions playing on the same team and for the same small rugby playing nation?

Diminishingly small I would have thought yet we managed it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Speaking of world class players, I saw both Heaslip and Jordi Murphy listed in the top 10 numbers 8s in the world by ESPN. I know he's not won an international cap yet, but personally, I'd have CJ Stander ahead of Jordi.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

dregin wrote: »
    Speaking of world class players, I saw both Heaslip and Jordi Murphy listed in the top 10 numbers 8s in the world by ESPN. I know he's not won an international cap yet, but personally, I'd have CJ Stander ahead of Jordi.

Yeah I'd agree with that, but I suppose Stander's profile is not going to be particularly huge until he plays at international level. If he does play for us it'll be interesting to see where he fits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't have Murphy or Stander in there, not sure how Murphy got in at all

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wouldn't have Murphy or Stander in there, not sure how Murphy got in at all
    That too. It was pretty bloody weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

They probably just ranked the number 8s who started in any 6 nations or Rugby Championship games this year and Jordi sneaked into the top 10 due to his 1 solid performance.

Did Murphy write the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dregin wrote: »

Did they just run out of players that they could think of when writing the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Did they just run out of players that they could think of when writing the article?

Looks like it's just somebody having a pop at the Scots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has anyone seen the u20s this year? Hows James Ryan looking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Has anyone seen the u20s this year? Hows James Ryan looking?

He's only just back from injury I believe. Got some time off the bench in their recent match against Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

Rugby Banter have had a well-documented Catalonian bias for some years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

scott1974 wrote: »
    Yes, there's no doubting that. I just think we could give him a 20 min cameo.
    I wouldn't consider him a liability.

Anyway, maybe he's made his mind up and he's gone...

God know, I think he'd have no problem with 20 mins of the bench and truly deserves every bit as much a send of as BOD, Leinster legend, just don't think starting him would do anyone any good.

POC, Darcy, Jennings are just great Irish players. We have had plenty as good as them in the past, do at the moment, and will in the future.

Nah, he was just an excellent rugby player - one of the best ever. Sycophantic dribbling is embarrassing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't consider POC "just" a great Irish player.

He's defo up there with the greats of the game.

For every Lions test that he was fit for he was picked and he did Captain them in SA too.

Ho got his first cap for Ireland in his first season with Munster and has been pretty much first choice since.

To me POC is very much on the same level as BOD.

ROG would "just" be a great Irish player though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Possibly semantics but he's not really. He's the level below and still at a phenomenally high level but BOD is one of a kind in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

I wouldn't consider POC "just" a great Irish player.

He's defo up there with the greats of the game.

For every Lions test that he was fit for he was picked and he did Captain them in SA too.

Ho got his first cap for Ireland in his first season with Munster and has been pretty much first choice since.

ROG would "just" be a great Irish player though

Its not possible to compare POC and BOD. They simply have different qualities. BOD is simply the most outstanding centre we have ever had. POC is the best team leader in memory. So you are comparing apples with oranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nah, he was just an excellent rugby player - one of the best ever. Sycophantic dribbling is embarrassing.

Ah heyor.

BOD was the living apotheosis of all that we dream of in the game of rugby, whose eternal beauty of man in motion, and bullet time reading of play, invention of thought, and artistic perfection of execution, brought tears of joy to the eye of grown men, and brought all who saw him play, metaphorically or actually, to their knees, in thanks to whatever gods they believe in, for the eternal privilege of being alive to see him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Ah heyor.

BOD was the living apotheosis of all that we dream of in the game of rugby, whose eternal beauty of man in motion, and bullet time reading of play, invention of thought, and artistic perfection of execution, brought tears of joy to the eye of grown men, and brought all who saw him play, metaphorically or actually, to their knees, in thanks to whatever gods they believe in, for the eternal privilege of being alive to see him play.

While my grasp of the English language is decent, your grasp is better :-). Well said.

• Advertisement

Ah heyor.

you forgot to mention his glistening thighs and his firm buttocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement