Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can we all just agree that POC, BOD and ROG are the Holy Trinity?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Teferi wrote: »
    Can we all just agree that POC, BOD and ROG are the Holy Trinity?

Nope :D

ROG isn't remotely on the same page. This is like a blast from the past - it's fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nope :D

ROG isn't remotely on the same page. This is like a blast from the past - it's fun :D
    Mike Gibson, Fergus Slattery, oli Campbell, Willie duggan, Colin Patterson, the list goes on. All immense men in their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

POC, BOD and Tony Buckley are the holy trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

flouncer wrote: »
    Mike Gibson, Fergus Slattery, oli Campbell, Willie duggan, Colin Patterson, the list goes on. All immense men in their time.

Indeed. Keith Wood, Tony O'Reilly, Derek McAleese, Tony Ward, Simon Geoghegan, Sid Millar, Brendan Mullin are with your list. And Paulie too. Truly great players.

But a different league to BOD.

BOD isnt in a league. He is sui generis. He simply is. Always was. Always will be. Timeless. Spaceless.

Ah, great days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

BOD isnt in a league. He is sui generis. He simply is. Always was. Always will be. Timeless. Spaceless.

Ah, great days.

You must have been devastated when he married Amy huberman :P

Indeed. Keith Wood, Tony O'Reilly, Derek McAleese, Tony Ward, Simon Geoghegan, Sid Millar, Brendan Mullin are with your list. And Paulie too. Truly great players.

Ah, great days.
    Simon geoghegan, what a winger. Memories. Thread getting nostalgic.

Ah, great days.

Always thought Keith Wood was a bit overrated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Possibly semantics but he's not really. He's the level below and still at a phenomenally high level but BOD is one of a kind in Ireland.
    Its not possible to compare POC and BOD. They simply have different qualities. BOD is simply the most outstanding centre we have ever had. POC is the best team leader in memory. So you are comparing apples with oranges

If you look at their impact on the team they're in and their overall impact on the world stage I think they're very similar.

Of course POC can't make linebreaks or no look passes like BOD but then BOD was never such a menace to the other teams lineouts or disrupted as many rucks as POC.

Always thought Keith Wood was a bit overrated.

Always has to be one to destroy the moment :-)

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you look at their impact on the team they're in and their overall impact on the world stage I think they're very similar.

Of course POC can't make linebreaks or no look passes like BOD but then BOD was never such a menace to the other teams lineouts or disrupted as many rucks as POC.

Would that not equate to apples and oranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I watched the Ireland Wales quarter final from 2011 the other night. In all the disappointment it's easy to forget how brilliant O'Driscoll was in that first half. With things screwing up around him (kicking to the corner 3 times in the first 15 minutes and getting no points, O'Gara dropping on from 5 yards out and kicking multiple balls dead, us somehow conspiring to let them waltz over for a barely contested try down our left wing etc. etc.). O'Driscoll was everywhere, so hard to understand how he managed to be omnipresent.

On another note, Kearney was great in that half as well. Made multiple breaks deep into their 22. The first 20 minutes of that game could easilly have resulted in the opposite scoreline :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I watched the Ireland Wales quarter final from 2011 the other night. In all the disappointment it's easy to forget how brilliant O'Driscoll was in that first half. With things screwing up around him (kicking to the corner 3 times in the first 15 minutes and getting no points, O'Gara dropping on from 5 yards out and kicking multiple balls dead, us somehow conspiring to let them waltz over for a barely contested try down our left wing etc. etc.). O'Driscoll was everywhere, so hard to understand how he managed to be omnipresent.

On another note, Kearney was great in that half as well. Made multiple breaks deep into their 22. The first 20 minutes of that game could easilly have resulted in the opposite scoreline :(

Yeah I still remember what your talking about there. That was a real blown opportunity that day. Wales defended well but we really blew that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would that not equate to apples and oranges?

you're looking at the apples and oranges when all I see is Star fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Lads Ogara isn't remotely in the same conversation as POC and BOD. POC and BOD are two greats, Let's not forget that Ogara never started a lion test so not only was he not the best in the world he was never the best in Britain and Ireland. As a player I would say he's inferior to sexton and even humprheys but he's done more in an Irish shirt due in large part to the uninterrupted decade or so where there was literlally no one challenging for the 10 jersey.

As for BOD and POC, BOD is talked about as one of the greatest centres ever, even one of the best players in general ever. POC realistically isn't one of the greatest second rows of his time purely on playing ability, like Martin Johnson an absolutely exceptional leader who brings out the best in their troops. Saying that there are better players out there IMO, like Ali Williams, brad thorn, victor matfield but those guys don't have the leadership. Even when it comes to this POC hasn't reached the mythical leader standards of someone like willie John (although short of winning a WC this will probably never happen).

Any way in summary, the fact that Ogara is in this conversation at all is a joke, POC is an exceptional leader and a great player, BOD is different level, he is the embodiment of legendary. We were all privileged to see him play. He will be talked about for generations

CatFromHue wrote: »
    you're looking at the apples and oranges when all I see is Star fruit
    i simply like apples and oranges :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,608 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Keith crossan was my favorite player when i was growing up. Diminutive speedy little fecker

Holwell still my favourite Leinster player tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Didn't think I'd have to use this warning again but...

No Sexton vs OGara chat please.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Speaking in particular of Leinster greats, what has become of Rock Elsom?? Perhaps it's well known, but I have lost track of him completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Sorry .... ROCKY Elsom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

redmca2 wrote: »
    Speaking in particular of Leinster greats, what has become of Rock Elsom?? Perhaps it's well known, but I have lost track of him completely.
    He's with Narbonne in the Pro D2. Also a major shareholder with the club, so it sounds like he's settled there now.

I worked in Dundrum cinema for 3 years and the team would regularly come in. I don't know if you've all been in the cinema but there were 40inch screens with the film titles on them about 12 foot in the air above the tills.

BOD used to stand about 3 feet away, squinting for an age before finally asking someone else to decide.

What a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Probably explains his fearlessness :o

Had heard that about BOD all right, I figure it was a bit like Daredevil though - his eyesight is ****e but the rest of his senses are ridiculous and through a mix of smell and echolocation he just knew where to put the ball or what lines to run.

Maybe by night he went around the place beating up scumbags. That's probably why he lived out on the Northside for a while.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Probably explains why he was so terrible at kicking for years before finally giving up and resorting to dirty grubber kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sangre wrote: »
    Probably explains why he was so terrible at kicking for years before finally giving up and resorting to dirty grubber kicks.

He actually alluded to that in an interview after he got glasses/contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

LEINSTER:

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Garry Ringrose
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Noel Reid
    11. Fergus McFadden
    10. Cathal Marsh
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Aaron Dundon
    3. Jamie Hagan
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Royce Burke-Flynn
    19. Tadhg Beirne
    20. Daniel Leavy
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Cian Kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

mogwai81 wrote: »
    LEINSTER:

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Garry Ringrose
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Noel Reid
    11. Fergus McFadden
    10. Cathal Marsh
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Michael Bent
    2. Aaron Dundon
    3. Jamie Hagan
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Royce Burke-Flynn
    19. Tadhg Beirne
    20. Daniel Leavy
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Cian Kelleher

Would Kelleher not be a better option than Ringrose on the wing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

So few options at the moment that the team is fairly predictable, happy enough with it though.

Good to see Luke McGrath continuing.

Less good to see McLaughlin injured again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement