Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anywhere to watch the game.today

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Anywhere to watch the game.today

Sky Sports 4

Fanning scored a hattrick for Marys today...

#SIGNHIMUPJOE

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Good win today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

haiyna wrote: »
    Good win today

Very positive performance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

vienne86 wrote: »
    Very positive performance too.
    I must have been at a different game becasue I thought Cardiff were awful and we made heavy weather of scraping a win against a bad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

I thought that the referee made some AWFUL calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

wise7 wrote: »
    I must have been at a different game becasue I thought Cardiff were awful and we made heavy weather of scraping a win against a bad team.

ah come on?

New coaching team, missing 20 players including first 8 choice front rows and the team play with a totally new open [but not perfect] style compared to the last 2 years

Its a great starting base for the season ahead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

haiyna wrote: »
    I thought that the referee made some AWFUL calls.

Me too why was a Welsh ref Reffing?

Stheno wrote: »

He was quite whistle happy, particularly in the 15-20 minutes before half time, and the game became a bit dull as a result. But I though his decisions were mostly OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I taught he was OK considering his lack of experience. Nationality has nothing to do with it for pro 12

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought he was very good for such a young ref. Only had a couple of calls I thought were incorrect, one was the forward pass from Te'o and the other was the Navidi sin binning which was certainly incorrect. He was a little whistle happy at the beginning but that was preventative, the breakdown was very clean. Great to see a good young ref, the Pro 12 needs them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I posted this on match thread but did anyone else at game have problems with the secutiry and beers? I wasn't drinking but my friends where stopped on entry to terrace and told they couldnt drink the beers inside. We where in very early but they ended up drinking outside with a good few other people till the queue of people giving out made the guys ring someone and then say they could enter....

He did mention that people going up stairs in Angelsea could not bring beers? Is this correct? or just a new company running the security?

Is this the way it will be going forward? they going to stop you drinking beer while watching match at Aviva?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I posted this on match thread but did anyone else at game have problems with the secutiry and beers? I wasn't drinking but my friends where stopped on entry to terrace and told they couldnt drink the beers inside. We where in very early but they ended up drinking outside with a good few other people till the queue of people giving out made the guys ring someone and then say they could enter....

He did mention that people going up stairs in Angelsea could not bring beers? Is this correct? or just a new company running the security?

Is this the way it will be going forward? they going to stop you drinking beer while watching match at Aviva?

We were able to bring beers fine to the south stand

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If they were bought within the stadium there shouldn't be any problems.

I know in Croke Park for some of the games the stewards don't allow drink into the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    If they were bought within the stadium there shouldn't be any problems.

I know in Croke Park for some of the games the stewards don't allow drink into the stands.

All stadium bought...there was about 5-10 people standing outside with us before loads of people started arriving and giving out....then he got on mobile and let everyone in

He did say to the woman beside him, who came over giving out because he was letting people in, that people in upper Angelsea where not allowed in,....

Just was very strange, never seen it before....

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    All stadium bought...there was about 5-10 people standing outside with us before loads of people started arriving and giving out....then he got on mobile and let everyone in

He did say to the woman beside him, who came over giving out because he was letting people in, that people in upper Angelsea where not allowed in,....

Just was very strange, never seen it before....
    Well if they were bought in the stadium, I can't for the life of me see what the problem is in bringing them to your place in the stands/terrace....surely they want people to buy/drink as many pints as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well if they were bought in the stadium, I can't for the life of me see what the problem is in bringing them to your place in the stands/terrace....surely they want people to buy/drink as many pints as possible!

The price of the pint there alone would suggest not. The bars are dead now compared to a few years back before they hiked up the prices.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The price of the pint there alone would suggest not. The bars are dead now compared to a few years back before they hiked up the prices.

OK - I don't drink at matches, and the pints I see going past me look pretty grim - flat.....in plastic glasses......and by all accounts, over-priced, so the bars deserve to be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

OK - I don't drink at matches, and the pints I see going past me look pretty grim - flat.....in plastic glasses......and by all accounts, over-priced, so the bars deserve to be empty.

I used to work in the Aviva, they all have those fast pour systems where they just fly straight out of a tap, not only are the flat but most of the time they're warm and have been pre-poured and just sitting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah you are paying Dublin city centre prices for crap beer in plastic glasses. It's ridiculous. I remember a few years ago when the bars were regularly jam packed. Now there's only a handful of people at them at any one time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They still haven't managed to get the score board and the clock working together haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not an issue. Just like some Irish guys referee between provinces and between provinces and other sides in the pro12. Welsh ref likely affiliated different area to region playing....
    All other officials will be welsh anyway
    FrannoFan wrote: »
    Molony
    McGrath
    Marsh
    Reid
    Burke-Flynn
    Leavy
    R. Byrne
    Kelleher

Is that a record for one school? I'm sure there has been some big clongowes and rock contingents over the years. Thinking of Leo,madigan,Luke,bod,etc. or kearneys,Darcy,McFadden. 8 is a lot.
    who cares to a large extent... don't think that's anything great in the greater scheme of things. It is a lot and fine achievement for the school but if it was 8 from outside the fee paying dominant schools and from the clubs/"non traditional" schools area it would be something to talk about but its just a few more from the same base of the game.....

Not an issue. Just like some Irish guys referee between provinces and between provinces and other sides in the pro12. Welsh ref likely affiliated different area to region playing....
    All other officials will be welsh anyway

who cares to a large extent... don't think that's anything great in the greater scheme of things. It is a lot and fine achievement for the school but if it was 8 from outside the fee paying dominant schools and from the clubs/"non traditional" schools area it would be something to talk about but its just a few more from the same base of the game.....
    Think you are missing out on acknowledging what is a significant achievement for a school that has lived in the shadow of the far bigger but of course '' fee paying'' rugby schools in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wise7 wrote: »
    Think you are missing out on acknowledging what is a significant achievement for a school that has lived in the shadow of the far bigger but of course '' fee paying'' rugby schools in Leinster.
    Im not at all. Its a fine achievement for the school but who really cares it would be a great big deal if it was that number of players coming from all of Navan/Tullamore/Kilkenny/Ardee/Birr etc

Im not at all. Its a fine achievement for the school but who really cares it would be a great big deal if it was that number of players coming from all of Navan/Tullamore/Kilkenny/Ardee/Birr etc
    WHY would it be a bigger deal? Is this motivated by some sort of egalitarian principle ? Surely the important thing is we facilitate the development of players and just because the ''fee paying'' rugby schools do a pretty good job of this does this mean we have to put the breaks on here to balance the books by hoping the clubs can catch up? To my mind it is a helathy thing to celebrate the achievement of a single school in reacjhing what is probably a record in terms of 8 out of a match day 23 for Leinster rather than lamenting the fact that more players are coming from the clubs system.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Based on the two games so far I think I'd like to see something like the following next time out: 1 Bent, 2 Dundon, 3 Hagan, 4 Moloney, 5 McCarthy, 6 Ryan, 7 van der Flier, 8 Conan, 9 McGrath, 10 Marsh, 11 McFadden, 12 Te'o, 13 Ringrose, 14 Kelleher, 15 Nacewa; 16 Byrne, 17 Dooley, 18 Burke-Flynn, 19 Denton/Beirne, 20 Leavy/Ruddock/McLaughlin, 21 Boss, 22 Byrne, 23 McGrath/Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

Based on the games I have seen in person so far (albeit one friendly and one competitive), I'd like to give props to Mike McCarthy. He's been absolutely superb. Strong in defence, accurate in the tackle and his pace off the line has been incredibly impressive. He's looked a totally different player than the plodding passenger I've seen too often these last two years.

Fingers crossed he can maintain it throughout the season because second row is a position where we are in need of leaders and he's looking damn good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Based on the two games so far I think I'd like to see something like the following next time out: 1 Bent, 2 Dundon, 3 Hagan, 4 Moloney, 5 McCarthy, 6 Ryan, 7 van der Flier, 8 Conan, 9 McGrath, 10 Marsh, 11 McFadden, 12 Te'o, 13 Ringrose, 14 Kelleher, 15 Nacewa; 16 Byrne, 17 Dooley, 18 Burke-Flynn, 19 Denton/Beirne, 20 Leavy/Ruddock/McLaughlin, 21 Boss, 22 Byrne, 23 McGrath/Reid

I'd much prefer to see Reid stay in the team at 12. He was really good today and he's really growing in confidence and getting involved at first receiver more, which he needs to be doing if he wants to be a long term starter. Ringrose looked good on the wing as well, I'd keep him there for now.

Might be worth giving Kelleher a start at 11 though and moving Ringrose across, especially if McFadden hurt himself at all today. I'd also like to see Burke-Flynn start ahead of Hagan whose leaving the country in a couple of months anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd much prefer to see Reid stay in the team at 12. He was really good today and he's really growing in confidence and getting involved at first receiver more, which he needs to be doing if he wants to be a long term starter. Ringrose looked good on the wing as well, I'd keep him there for now.

Might be worth giving Kelleher a start at 11 though and moving Ringrose across, especially if McFadden hurt himself at all today. I'd also like to see Burke-Flynn start ahead of Hagan whose leaving the country in a couple of months anyway.
    Yes, I agree that Reid should start - he went very well with Te'o yesterday.

I was exuberant about yesterday's match, but accept that we still have a lot to work on. Last week was pretty awful, but there were glimpses of good stuff, but yesterday we saw a lot of good stuff, and what we saw was way way better than most of what we saw last season. I felt a real buzz as we left the RDS last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement