Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did kelleher even play?

Personally I think fanning or McGrath should be replacing Ferg. They're too good to be playing ail. Scored 5 tries between the two over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

.ak wrote: »
    Did kelleher even play?

Personally I think fanning or McGrath should be replacing Ferg. They're too good to be playing ail. Scored 5 tries between the two over the weekend.

last few minutes, i think he was the one who shepherded the ball over the dead ball line when patchell kicked too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Did kelleher even play?

Why would you be replacing Ferg? Neither of those guys are on his level at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Glad to see they've added that Hop House 13 to the drinks menu this year. A bit more choice at least.

5.90 a pint though. At least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

awec wrote: »
    Glad to see they've added that Hop House 13 to the drinks menu this year. A bit more choice at least.

5.90 a pint though. At least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Not even a pint. 500ml cups :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Did kelleher even play?

According to ultimate rugby Kelleher got a good 20 minutes, I just don't think the ball came his way.

That's probably true about McGrath and fanning, but it's probably true about Kelleher too, he was an absolute try scoring machine at lower levels last season, id love to see him get a run out for the senior team, and I think it would be a much more forward thinking selection than Fanning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kellegher got a good stint, he was the one who shepherded Fish into touch after Nacewa's deft little chip, winning us possession on halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Did kelleher even play?

Ah what? They're both distinctly ordinary professional rugby players. Kelleher is younger, is just as good at lower levels, and has the potential to be much better than either.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Just gonna put this out there.. Every time I see J VdF play I am more impressed by him than Leavy, from U20s the whole way up.. That's not to say I haven't also been impressed by Leavy but VdF looks like a real 7.. His pace off the mark makes his carrying a real threat despite his modest size.. A tackling machine and turnovers as well.. He was almost Hooper-esque yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

hype101 wrote: »
    Just gonna put this out there.. Every time I see J VdF play I am more impressed by him than Leavy, from U20s the whole way up.. That's not to say I haven't also been impressed by Leavy but VdF looks like a real 7.. His pace off the mark makes his carrying a real threat despite his modest size.. A tackling machine and turnovers as well.. He was almost Hooper-esque yesterday!

the way he carries the ball too. he seems to target space between two tacklers and just makes that extra yard which gets the ball back quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

hype101 wrote: »

You certainly cant fault how VdF has been playing so far, in fact hes been pretty outstanding nearly every time ive seen him for Leinster, but he hasnt been hampered by injury in the same way as Leavy, so its hard to compare them right now. Leavy played well last week and he has a bit more size which could make a difference as they go up through the levels to H Cup/international level

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

DelMcG wrote: »
    Not even a pint. 500ml cups :mad:

Since when? Last time I get something the cups had pint markings on them.

Ah what? They're both distinctly ordinary professional rugby players. Kelleher is younger, is just as good at lower levels, and has the potential to be much better than either.

Banned for Fanning Abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Im not at all. Its a fine achievement for the school but who really cares it would be a great big deal if it was that number of players coming from all of Navan/Tullamore/Kilkenny/Ardee/Birr etc

It would be great if the club game contributed more to the Leinster team but it doesn't belittle the achiemnet of one school which until Noel Reid never produced an international or hardly any Leinster players.
    It shows somewhere new can up their standards and come from nowhere. There are plenty of fee paying schools not producing to the same level.

Looking at the make up of some of the underage sides playing at the weekend the club game is turning a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why would you be replacing Ferg? Neither of those guys are on his level at all.

A poster said IF Ferg was injured they'd replace him with X

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

A poster said IF Ferg was injured they'd replace him with X

Could be....hobbled off yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wise7 wrote: »
    WHY would it be a bigger deal? Is this motivated by some sort of egalitarian principle ? Surely the important thing is we facilitate the development of players and just because the ''fee paying'' rugby schools do a pretty good job of this does this mean we have to put the breaks on here to balance the books by hoping the clubs can catch up? To my mind it is a helathy thing to celebrate the achievement of a single school in reacjhing what is probably a record in terms of 8 out of a match day 23 for Leinster rather than lamenting the fact that more players are coming from the clubs system.
    Because of resources each have at disposal etc
    Im not saying about putting a hold on anything schools are doing
    FrannoFan wrote: »
    It would be great if the club game contributed more to the Leinster team but it doesn't belittle the achiemnet of one school which until Noel Reid never produced an international or hardly any Leinster players.
    It shows somewhere new can up their standards and come from nowhere. There are plenty of fee paying schools not producing to the same level.

Looking at the make up of some of the underage sides playing at the weekend the club game is turning a corner.
    I haven't belittled anything or anyones achievement. Michaels have plenty of backing to put in to the sport which has helped. Some schools are not producing to same level yes. Club game has most certainly turned a corner and some posters should try go to club game to see how it has improved to the levels it has...

Banned for Fanning Abuse

It appears I can still post.

I just can't see why anyone would want Fanning in instead of someone like Kelleher who obviously has a much greater upside. We saw last season when Fanning was played against decent sides like Munster just how limited he was. Thankfully Cullen seems much more progressive in his selections. Read some quotes from him this morning where he seems really enthused about seeing the young guys playing and performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Stainalert

FrannoFan wrote: »

Derek McGrath was the first rugby international to come out of Michaels and there have been a lot of leinster / other provinces players coming out the school that pre-date Reid.

It appears I can still post.
    I am a sardonic poster, a cynical oul piss taker, they'd never entrust me with Modship.
    I just can't see why anyone would want Fanning in instead of someone like Kelleher who obviously has a much greater upside. We saw last season when Fanning was played against decent sides like Munster just how limited he was. Thankfully Cullen seems much more progressive in his selections. Read some quotes from him this morning where he seems really enthused about seeing the young guys playing and performing.

Yeah agree with basically all of this. There's just a bit of love on here for Darragh because he performed way above expectations last year and really did himself proud. He's not a fantastic player, he's not a fantastic prospect, but he has been a very important member of the squad and a couple of us on here blow smoke up his hole as a tribute to that.

Forgotten hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

When will construction begin for the updated RDS? I heard somewhere that it was going to be April 2016 but does anyone know if that's confirmed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't anything has been confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

haiyna wrote: »
    When will construction begin for the updated RDS? I heard somewhere that it was going to be April 2016 but does anyone know if that's confirmed?

Id say its all based on getting the naming sorted, not sure how far along the design and planning is but Id imagine they are just waiting on the sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thankfully Cullen seems much more progressive in his selections. Read some quotes from him this morning where he seems really enthused about seeing the young guys playing and performing.

I was giving out hell about Leo's appointment, but I will happily eat humble pie for the rest of the season if he continues the way he has started. I know it is very easy to get carried away about Saturday's performance - there is a lot of work to be done, but it really was heartening after the last two seasons.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I was giving out hell about Leo's appointment, but I will happily eat humble pie for the rest of the season if he continues the way he has started. I know it is very easy to get carried away about Saturday's performance - there is a lot of work to be done, but it really was heartening after the last two seasons.

Hey I was in the same boat, thought MOC had to go but was hoping for a more experienced coach than Cullen. I've few complaints so far tbh, his selections are good, he's saying the right things, the team looks much more organised to me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lads it's two games in and he has a 50% win record so far.

Think it's a bit early to be jumping on the Leo lovewagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Lads it's two games in and he has a 50% win record so far.

Think it's a bit early to be jumping on the Leo lovewagon.

Yeah, we were awful against Edinburgh. Let's wait and see over the coming weeks how we go before making any kind of judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Like the team so far this season, this thread needs more Fanj...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Zzippy wrote: »
    Like the team so far this season, this thread needs more Fanj...

Nooooooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Any STH trying to upgrade their tickets for the Toulon match in the Aviva? I can't seem to find the option in my Leinster account yet.

Separately, anyone know the limit for additional ticket purchases for this match when the presale starts on Thursday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement