Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

EPC have just facebooked that Leinster have won the toss and will get the "home team" dressing room for the semi-final.

An omen, I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

LorMal wrote: »
    Luke is a better 11...and a better 13. We have other options at 11.

Anyway, its looking bleak.

We have other options at 11, but none as good as Luke.

Personally I think 11. Fitzgerald 13. T'eo is better than 11. Kearney 13. Fitzgerald.

I think our biggest issue is at 12. I really hope Madigan clicks there. Or maybe just bring Darce back in... but then we lose Madigan's golden boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

EPC have just facebooked that Leinster have won the toss and will get the "home team" dressing room for the semi-final.

An omen, I tell you.

Leinster vs Saracens final so...but who will have the home dressing room for the final?

An omen, I tell you.

Cool, we should complain about the facilities and demand it be moved to the RDS. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

yep I have

So you're happy to just sit there and criticise completely unrealistically without suggesting any viable alternatives?

Fair enough, that's your choice. Hopefully someone can turn up and raise the standard of debate at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

.ak wrote: »
    We have other options at 11, but none as good as Luke.

Personally I think 11. Fitzgerald 13. T'eo is better than 11. Kearney 13. Fitzgerald.

I think our biggest issue is at 12. I really hope Madigan clicks there. Or maybe just bring Darce back in... but then we lose Madigan's golden boot.

Not necessarily.......

Not necessarily.......

Well if MOC played Madigan and Darce that'd be suicidal. Neither have played together recently and Madigan especially is lacking on gametime at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Well if MOC played Madigan and Darce that'd be suicidal. Neither have played together recently and Madigan especially is lacking on gametime at 10.

It looks like D'Arcy will play this weekend, and Gopperth needs a rest, so...

Some would argue (me that is) that it is suicidal to stay as is...

It's a hard place for MOC then. Gopperth has a silly amount of minutes built up, and does need a rest, but I think what Madigan needs right now is to get his game at 12 sorted, because I can't see Gopperth not starting against Toulon the week after.

• Advertisement

Some would argue (me that is) that it is suicidal to stay as is...

Well argue away then - but we changed up our outhalf the last time around and it didn't work out brilliantly either...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think he will, but it might be a lot to expect of him. Having a utility player like Isa may be very beneficial. Also remember he's a very good goal kicker, might take a bit of heat off whoever plays 10.
    If McFadden doesn't travel to RWC I imagine he will do a lot of the kicking (if needed).

Sangre wrote: »
    If McFadden doesn't travel to RWC I imagine he will do a lot of the kicking (if needed).

Would be interesting if he does. He hasn't kicked a ball over the crossbars in a match situation for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gopperth does have a lot of gametime built up, resting him makes sense for me. I still think it'll be himself and Madigan at 10-12 against Toulon, and that's a real problem area.

I'm not particularly convinced we can win with that midfield, I'd be interested to see what Madigan/D'Arcy can do.

Well argue away then - but we changed up our outhalf the last time around and it didn't work out brilliantly either...

Actually, in all fairness I agree with you. That would be a step too far.

My backs would be (injury permitting) 9 Redden, 10 Gopperth, 11 Dave K, 12 Darcy, 13 Luke F, 14 Mc Fadden, 15 Madigan!!

In fairness, it could also be said that "we played Gopperth at outhalf the last time around and it didn't work out brilliantly".

Realistically though, there just isn't anyone in the Leinster squad good enough at 10 to inspire any degree of confidence against Toulon. If we're going to beat them (and it's a big ask), it's likely going to be in spite of who we play at 10, not because of who we play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I completely agree, but that's not what the debate is about.

Are you sure? The initial post on todays conversation is below and it seems to me that the quality of the signing was very much the point, as much and all as I don't agree with it.....
    I think you are setting the bar too low if you're happy with Te'o as our 13. My opinion is that this is too important a position to be allocated to a player who is still in development in Rugby Union.
    I have been accused of xenophobia here by some gob****e but the reality is that all of our imported recently players have failed to reach the highest standards. I would include Jimmy G, Kirshner, Douglas, Te'o.
    They just don't compare to the likes of Rocky, Isa, Hines, Stan. (I do appreciate we also had a couple of duds over the years)
    Surely a NIQ is only worth employing if he is very significantly better than the alternatives available in the club?
    Is it not even a valid point to suggest that perhaps we could have recruited better that Teo, Douglas, Kirchner, Gopperth.

Only if there were better alternatives. If there weren't then they are not valid points.
    Greyian wrote: »
    Would Ross Byrne not be an option for the bench (during the RWC)?

Unless we sign someone then yes we are looking at Marsh and Byrne at 10. Neither of whom have played a single second at senior level this season and only one of whom has a cap in 2 seasons (Marsh has one cap for 15 minutes). If we are not signing someone to cover 10 then this is a fairly big issue IMO.

Ah in fairness that was an extreme case where Gopperth hadn't played at all in 6 weeks. Mads will have a fair bit of game time, and even some of it at 10 in the 6 Nations, as it stands. Plus we have a game between now and the SF. The two scenarios are pretty chalk and cheese.
    Actually, in all fairness I agree with you. That would be a step too far.

My backs would be (injury permitting) 9 Redden, 10 Gopperth, 11 Dave K, 12 Darcy, 13 Luke F, 14 Mc Fadden, 15 Madigan!!

Ehhhhhhhh, no.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are you sure? The initial post on todays conversation is below and it seems to me that the quality of the signing was very much the point, as much and all as I don't agree with it.....

I think you're getting confused. (I don't blame you)
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Probably shouldn't be starting European knock-out games at this point though.

That's the post I replied to. The point I'm debating with LorMal is that he/she thinks T'eo wasn't a good signing or shouldn't be in the squad at all. Those are two very different points.

Well, I seem to remember Madigan playing some excellent games at FB in the past? Rob Kearney has been very poor recently. We need Madigans place kicking. If he is a weak point at 12 (as has been argued) and not experienced enough to be picked at 10 (which i would not necessarily agree with), could he not play 15?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Unless we sign someone then yes we are looking at Marsh and Byrne at 10. Neither of whom have played a single second at senior level this season and only one of whom has a cap in 2 seasons (Marsh has one cap for 15 minutes). If we are not signing someone to cover 10 then this is a fairly big issue IMO.

Cathal Marsh is older than George Ford. Come the start of next season, Ross Byrne will be ~6 months younger than Ford was for his senior 6 Nations debut. At some point, we'd just going to have to bite the bullet and give them game time. If we don't do it during the RWC, I don't see when that's going to be.

• Advertisement

In fairness, it could also be said that "we played Gopperth at outhalf the last time around and it didn't work out brilliantly".

Realistically though, there just isn't anyone in the Leinster squad good enough at 10 to inspire any degree of confidence against Toulon. If we're going to beat them (and it's a big ask), it's likely going to be in spite of who we play at 10, not because of who we play there.

True. But I think at the moment we're suffering at 10/12 the most so we need to give whoever is going to play there a consistent run.

Well, I seem to remember Madigan playing some excellent games at FB in the past? Rob Kearney has been very poor recently. We need Madigans place kicking. If he is a weak point at 12 (as has been argued) and not experienced enough to be picked at 10 (which i would not necessarily agree with), could he not play 15?

Which ones?

(Blackrock games don't count)

I think you're getting confused. (I don't blame you)

That's the post I replied to. The point I'm debating with LorMal is that he/she thinks T'eo wasn't a good signing or shouldn't be in the squad at all. Those are two very different points.

Yep - I am confused myself!! To clarify 1. I dont think Teo should be starting high level matches at this stage 2. I dont think he was a good signing to replace BOD 3. I am not sure who would have been. (I rarely see French/Southern Hemisphere club games)

Which ones?

Ah Jaysus...which games?.... ... Some rugby games with Leinster in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Paddy Jackson was pulled from the JWC to train with Ulster during his 2nd year at the age grade. I see a lot of parallels with Ross Byrne tbh- Byrne is very possibly the standout player in what is a very talented backline, I reckon he could definitely do a job along with Marsh when a lot of squads will be depleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Which ones?

Funnily enough when Madigan was a 6th year his SCT went out to Kilkenny in the QFs after a replay after Madigan missed penalties in both games to win them in the last few mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are and I'm closer to your viewpoint than LorMal's. I think Teo was a very shrewd signing but frankly for next season not this one. I don't remotely think that 11 fitz 13 Teo is better than any combination with fitz at 13. Fitz was completely dominant in that defensive channel all group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Cathal Marsh is older than George Ford. Come the start of next season, Ross Byrne will be ~6 months younger than Ford was for his senior 6 Nations debut. At some point, we'd just going to have to bite the bullet and give them game time. If we don't do it during the RWC, I don't see when that's going to be.

Sorry, should have been clearer. The reason it's an issue is because they haven't had the game time yet. I feel we should have given Marsh some time this season and we're putting ourselves in a tight spot come the RWC because we haven't.

IAN MADIGAN’S RUGBY smarts have seen him grow quickly into a dependable option at full-back, coach Jono Gibbes says.
    What started as a stop-gap measure prompted by Rob Kearney’s back injury has become a more familiar sight and for a third successive game, Madigan donned the number 15 jersey in Saturday’s Heineken Cup win against Scarlets.
    In the past Isa Nacewa has traditionally deputised in Kearney’s absence, but with his squad returning to full strength, head coach Joe Schmidt decided against a reshuffle in the backs and left Nacewa on the wing for the trip to Parc y Scarlets.
    Madigan was sin-binned late on as Leinster won 20-13, further extending their unbeaten European run. By spending time at both out-half and full-back in the early part of this season, the 23-year-old has developed a strong understanding of how the back line ticks, Gibbes says.
    “To be fair to Mads, he’s stepped in there and I think he’s grown in that position in each game. He’s got a better understanding of it.
    “Obviously when Jonny’s not playing, he’s in that 10 position so he’s got a lot of understanding of how we’re trying to play. Having him on the field as well as Jonny, there’s a good bit of brains out there. He can see things from the back to feed in. He’s got a good kicking game, he’s very confident under the high ball and he’s brave on defence.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yep - I am confused myself!! To clarify 1. I dont think Teo should be starting high level matches at this stage 2. I dont think he was a good signing to replace BOD 3. I am not sure who would have been. (I rarely see French/Southern Hemisphere club games)

1. lack of alternatives coupled with above expected performances make sit so

2. WAY too early to call, plus, BOD is irreplaceable.

3. Invalidates 2 above

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement