Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

Interesting to see Crosbie at 10 ahead of Byrne. A decent team.

Not really that interesting, Byrne clearly ahead of Crosbie as one is playing for the senior team and the other is playing AIL rugby at 12.

molloyjh wrote: »
    And Adam Byrne ahead of Fanj.

Thank god.

Two sub academy players involved, both backrows: David Aspill(High School/St. Marys) & Max Deegan(St. Michaels/Lansdowne)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

unce09f wrote: »
    Not really that interesting, Byrne clearly ahead of Crosbie as one is playing for the senior team and the other is playing AIL rugby at 12.

Yes I know, that's exactly my point; why not give Byrne the game time? He's hardly being rested after his three minutes against the Dragons like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes I know, that's exactly my point; why not give Byrne the game time? He's hardly being rested after his three minutes against the Dragons like.

But if Byrne gets injured then who is our 2nd choice 10?

May just be Cullen preserving his resources during the World Cup.

• Advertisement

Crosbie isn't a realistic option long term at outhalf for the senior team. Just like Noel Reid wasn't even though Reid played a lot of 10 for the A team. But I guess right now he is the 3rd choice outhalf so some gametime there will be beneficial just incase of an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And Adam Byrne ahead of Fanj.

Good call there.

But if Byrne gets injured then who is our 2nd choice 10?

May just be Cullen preserving his resources during the World Cup.

Steve Crosbie by the looks of it... Or more likely Reid or Nacewa.

I dunno, just seems odd to be keeping a guy in cotton wool when he has so little experience and so little recent game time.

But sure look, who am I to question Shaun Berne?

Steve Crosbie by the looks of it... Or more likely Reid or Nacewa.

I dunno, just seems odd to be keeping a guy in cotton wool when he has so little experience and so little recent game time.

But sure look, who am I to question Shaun Berne?

And Cullen/Dempsey, it's all interconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Anybody ever seen Aspil or Deegan play before?Never heard of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

funtime93 wrote: »

Deegan was michaels no8 last year. Tall, athletic, looks a really good prospect.

Never heard of aspil

vienne86 wrote: »
    So who will replace Girv in the Academy? We really have a lot to thank him for over the last few years, and I just hope we can find a decent replacement.

Has he really delivered in his role? Year 3 graduates were his call. How many of them have/will come through?
    MOC might have slowed their progress to be fair as Kelleher, Byrne and a few others coming through now.

funtime93 wrote: »

Deegan is an excellent prospect, tall, athletic, very good skills. Needs to develop physically and at the breakdown but a shoe in for the academy next summer.

Aspil is more under the radar, 1st choice 7 at u19 and u20 level. Went to high school so has a smaller profile. Pure 7, have heard some comparisons to JVDF.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Has he really delivered in his role? Year 3 graduates were his call. How many of them have/will come through?
    MOC might have slowed their progress to be fair as Kelleher, Byrne and a few others coming through now.

Year 3, Year 2 and Year 1.

Who has he overlooked in that time?
    Peter Robb? Dave Shanahan? a few other forwards.

He picked the best talent available, not all of them are going to make the breakthrough.
    We have good talent coming through in the backs for the 1st time in awhile.

Year 3, Year 2 and Year 1.

Who has he overlooked in that time?
    Peter Robb? Dave Shanahan? a few other forwards.

He picked the best talent available, not all of them are going to go perfectly.
    We have good talent coming through in the backs for the 1st time in awhile.

The lads coming through probably would have made it regardless. I'm wondering how well he developed them after the initial selection. Thornbury and a few of the other second rows haven't kicked on. Brewer didn't make 20's which is odd as that is normally a given for Leinster academy. Tom Farrell and Tom Daly impressed during 20's World Cup but we haven't Sen them kick on.
    Obviously not all down to Girve as some players will kick on and some won't and can't place all responsibility on the academy manager.
    The thing is there is a high expectation in the Leinster academy. It is hard to name a player who completed the three years who hasn't gone on to a pro contract. Not necessarily with Leinster or even an Irish province but usually a club in England tier one or two picks them up. Will have to see if that continues.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    The lads coming through probably would have made it regardless. I'm wondering how well he developed them after the initial selection. Thornbury and a few of the other second rows haven't kicked on. Brewer didn't make 20's which is odd as that is normally a given for Leinster academy. Tom Farrell and Tom Daly impressed during 20's World Cup but we haven't Sen them kick on.
    Obviously not all down to Girve as some players will kick on and some won't and can't place all responsibility on the academy manager.
    The thing is there is a high expectation in the Leinster academy. It is hard to name a player who completed the three years who hasn't gone on to a pro contract. Not necessarily with Leinster or even an Irish province but usually a club in England tier one or two picks them up. Will have to see if that continues.

that's a convenient way to write off his achievements, in fact i'd say Marsh has looked much better than anyone expected and he worked with Dempsey the last 3 years.

Ross Molony looks the best lock to come through the academy in ages.
    Gavin Thornbury - still only 21 and was always a "project" not to mention struggled with injury. Has a senior contract out of the academy and needs more time to develop physically etc.
    Tadhg Beirne - Injured most of his his time in the academy.

Daly and Farrell have been excellent in the AIL and are still in the academy, hard to make breakthrough into squad, wouldn't write either off quite yet.

Brewer missed the JWC due to injuries. Still only 20, hard to write him off and a lot of physical potential there.

I think it's harsh to say he hasn't done a good job considering the young talented backs coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This may not be the best year for the backs to break through from the academy, only because Rio is on the horizon and a good few of them will surely be looking towards that repechage which will steal their focus.

EDIT: By backs I meant, Adam Byrne. Thought there were more academy lads involved!

This may not be the best year for the backs to break through from the academy, only because Rio is on the horizon and a good few of them will surely be looking towards that repechage which will steal their focus.

EDIT: By backs I meant, Adam Byrne. Thought there were more academy lads involved!

Tom Daly too.

Dardis might be involved too now that he is over 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just got around to watching the dragons game. Have to say I'm surprised T'eo didn't get more plaudits. I thought he put in a brilliant selfless performance, his reading of the game and distribution was really, really good. Considering the kerfuffle made over his previous teammate currently he's actually quietly developing into a really good centre. I hope he sticks at it. Himself, marsh, and Isa were my pick of the backs. Considering he's that good at union already I can only imagine what he'll be like with a few seasons under his belt.

.ak wrote: »
    Just got around to watching the dragons game. Have to say I'm surprised T'eo didn't get more plaudits. I thought he put in a brilliant selfless performance, his reading of the game and distribution was really, really good. Considering the kerfuffle made over his previous teammate currently he's actually quietly developing into a really good centre. I hope he sticks at it. Himself, marsh, and Isa were my pick of the backs. Considering he's that good at union already I can only imagine what he'll be like with a few seasons under his belt.

rumour is that he isn't staying around, it's fairly well known.

wants to return to Oz, nothing to do with leinster or rugby union.

• Advertisement

Yeah he was absolutely brilliant, going to be a key player for us and he seems to have a great partnership going with Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Meh, I've heard the rumours, and if I was him I'd be pushing that too so Leinster increase his wage to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I hope we break the bank to keep him, I'd like to see more of him inside Ringrose. Then again, it's unlikely we'll be allowed to keep him if Henshaw has his heart set on the move.

LostArt wrote: »
    I hope we break the bank to keep him, I'd like to see more of him inside Ringrose. Then again, it's unlikely we'll be allowed to keep him if Henshaw has his hear set on the move.

doubt they'll be able to justify paying him more than some of the irish lads in the team.

T'eo has very little natural loyalty to leinster/ireland.. based on what I've heard ill be surprised if he is here next season.

The Henshaw stuff, god only knows where that will lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah he was really very good. Drawing defenders and releasing guys into space. That sounds very familiar.... :cool:

I do hope we try to hold on to him, and also that the returning internationals will get up to speed quickly to provide the added temptation of a really strong competitive side playing some good rugby. Just think of him running lines off SOB or putting a strike runner like Kearney through a gap.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

doubt they'll be able to justify paying him more than some of the irish lads in the team.

T'eo has very little natural loyalty to leinster/ireland.. based on what I've heard ill be surprised if he is here next season.

The Henshaw stuff, god only knows where that will lead.

It's not unusual for the NIQ guys to earn more than the Irish players. If Leinster feel he's worth it they could throw him a big deal.

But I do think he'll be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Yeah he was really very good. Drawing defenders and releasing guys into space. That sounds very familiar.... :cool:

I do hope we try to hold on to him, and also that the returning internationals will get up to speed quickly to provide the added temptation of a really strong competitive side playing some good rugby. Just think of him running lines off SOB or putting a strike runner like Kearney through a gap.

Switch that around and imagine SOB taking offloads from Te'o - open space for SOB to run in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Brewer missed the JWC due to injuries. Still only 20, hard to write him off and a lot of physical potential there.

Not sure about that. He was fit the second half of the season and was playing AIL with Terenure. He just wasnt selected for the JWC.

... but also being able to take a man on and beat him, or burst through a tackle into open space and gain yardage.

#teoforirelandassoonashequalifies

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Not sure about that. He was fit the second half of the season and was playing AIL with Terenure. He just wasnt selected for the JWC.

he was injured and missed several ireland u20 camps leading upto the JWC because of that. He wasn't out long term with a significant injury though.

either way it makes very little difference, Brewer is in the academy due to his potential.
    will he reach that potential? who knows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement