Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

unce09f wrote: »
    Deegan is an excellent prospect, tall, athletic, very good skills. Needs to develop physically and at the breakdown but a shoe in for the academy next summer.

Aspil is more under the radar, 1st choice 7 at u19 and u20 level. Went to high school so has a smaller profile. Pure 7, have heard some comparisons to JVDF.

Aspil is a huge guy not sure on his skill level if I'm honest. Very large for his age though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

.ak wrote: »
    Meh, I've heard the rumours, and if I was him I'd be pushing that too so Leinster increase his wage to stay on.

Leinster should throw the kitchen sink at him to stay. He is developing into an absolutely fantastic centre. If he can continue this sort of form he'll fast be one of the best centres in European rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I am not buying this Te'o hype one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If he stays in Union I don't see how Leinster will be able to match an offer from an English club for him.

Don't forget he's English qualified and if he is in the EPS, which he certainly could be, then a Premiership club gets credit for having him on their books. Given that and their extra financial power I can't see how Leinster can realistically compete to sign him unless he agrees to become a project player and they get some IRFU assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »

What hype? The game is there for you to watch. Nobody is making this up. He fixed defenders, tied up defenders, had two assists and one was in traffic and at least 15m away. He's been brilliant, and as I said earlier, I'm surprised he didn't get more plaudits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

which bit? him being good enough to pay aswell as the top irish players or him leaving?

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he stays in Union I don't see how Leinster will be able to match an offer from an English club for him.

Don't forget he's English qualified and if he is in the EPS, which he certainly could be, then a Premiership club gets credit for having him on their books. Given that and their extra financial power I can't see how Leinster can realistically compete to sign him unless he agrees to become a project player and they get some IRFU assistance.

Ireland don't really need more centres, we are well stocked with current and young players at 12 and 13. Don't see why they'd turn him into a project player.

He's a good player but we have current IQ players who are or will be just as good.

awec wrote: »
    Ireland don't really need more centres, we are well stocked with current and young players at 12 and 13. Don't see why they'd turn him into a project player.

He's a good player but we have current IQ players who are or will be just as good.

I'm not sure about that. Payne isn't a spring chicken and despite Ulster churning out centres very few of them and proven themselves at top level.

I would say we're well stocked at 12 but we have very few 13s that could play test footy IMO.

we are well stocked in the backrow too, sadly Stander will likely play for Ireland at some stage.

Jesus project players are a depressing area of irish rugby.

Payne is only 29 and Te'o is 28! :D

Te'o hasn't proven himself at the top level yet either in fairness.

• Advertisement

we are well stocked in the backrow too, sadly Stander will likely play for Ireland at some stage.

At 6 and 7 we are but not at 8.

At 6 and 7 we are but not at 8.

we have two very good number 8's 23 and under - Jack Conan & Jack O'Donoghue.

Plus Jordi Murphy/Rhys Ruddock who could possibly cover there at 8. Murphy already having done it for Ireland.

CJ Stander shouldn't ever play for Ireland. But I digress it's very off topic for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Good work, keep it up so we can keep the price down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Declaring for Ireland would be a nice bonus but it shouldn't be the deciding factor. If Leinster have the cash, then they should do all they can to retain him. He's played 16 games of union in his life and he's one of our top players already, as he was last season - compare him to Sam Burgess for example - he looks far more at home than Slammin' Sam, just without the relentless hype.

Break the f**king bank, with or without IRFU contribution, that's my suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Declaring for Ireland would be a nice bonus but it shouldn't be the deciding factor. If Leinster have the cash, then they should do all they can to retain him. He's played 16 games of union in his life and he's one of our top players already, as he was last season - compare him to Sam Burgess for example - he looks far more at home than Slammin' Sam, just without the relentless hype.

Break the f**king bank, with or without IRFU contribution, that's my suggestion.

Exactly, he's only 16 games in and is one of the best players on the pitch for Leinster, imagine an entire season under his belt with the internationals back?

Payne is only 29 and Te'o is 28! :D

Te'o hasn't proven himself at the top level yet either in fairness.

I honestly thought Payne was older and teo was younger, my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

WarZ wrote: »
    Exactly, he's only 16 games in and is one of the best players on the pitch for Leinster, imagine an entire season under his belt with the internationals back?

Yes. Check out his try v. Ulster last season. Outstanding 13 try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

bear+amy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why not? He's played very little Union and has looked pretty comfortable with it. I was watching him defensively on Saturday as well (ok it was only the Dragons) and his positioning and decision making were fairly good. There is a question mark around how effective he would be against top opposition, but at Pro12 level the guy stands out every time I watch him.

That might be an issue all right, but again I'm hoping a top class environment can tempt him to stay. Remember English teams have won nothing outside of England but the Amlin/Challenge Cup in the last 9 seasons.

You're thinking of Ulster there awec. Leinster were stuck for an outside centre when Drico left. The only option we had on our books at that stage was Macken really. And he was never going to make the grade sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Just thinking for the Champions Cup this season, with the early exit of England this is really going to play into there clubs hands....they will be back in time for the start of the Aviva Premiership so all the English teams will have there players well settled back after giving them a rest for the start of champions cup. If Ireland go further then they will have less time to integrate back in the players.....

Will affect us with 2 English teams.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Just thinking for the Champions Cup this season, with the early exit of England this is really going to play into there clubs hands....they will be back in time for the start of the Aviva Premiership so all the English teams will have there players well settled back after giving them a rest for the start of champions cup. If Ireland go further then they will have less time to integrate back in the players.....

Pssst, I got this:

isanacewa.jpg

Redgirl82 wrote: »

How many players do Wasps have with England? Surely only Bath will be any better off compared to what we might have expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

molloyjh wrote: »
    How many players do Wasps have with England? Surely only Bath will be any better off compared to what we might have expected?

The Aviva Prem hasn't even started back yet, I think we may be in a slightly better position having played a good few games before they even start their season.
    Plus Burgess will have to readjust to the backrow again!!!

scott1974 wrote: »
    The Aviva Prem hasn't even started back yet, I think we may be in a slightly better position having played a good few games before they even start their season.
    Plus Burgess will have to readjust to the backrow again!!!

Starts back next Friday 16th, so really the players could go back to there clubs and start next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Yeah, but I think in general not having played any games yet as a club (excluding friendlies) will be a disadvantage to them (I could be wrong).
    Also there is talk of sanctions for Bath for breaching the Salary Cap, not sure what that will be exactly yet..

Forgot the AP wasn't back yet. So they'll only have 4 weeks playing together before the start of the Champions Cup. I'll take that tbh. I also can't see the English internationals being released back to play for their clubs that first week anyway. They'll need a break.

Forgot the AP wasn't back yet. So they'll only have 4 weeks playing together before the start of the Champions Cup. I'll take that tbh. I also can't see the English internationals being released back to play for their clubs that first week anyway. They'll need a break.

Not all of them will. Ford has barely played for example.

Anyone here at the A game? Wouldn't mind hearing reports from a Leinster perspective as I can't make it.

Well according to Goode he can't wait to get back to Saracens and expects to start....

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-union/news/article/504/10020693/alex-goode-looking-forward-to-saracens-return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Released back...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement