Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Fanning was a vocal presence when he came on for the As. He seemed to be the one directing traffic in defence.

Gearing up for a career post rugby perhaps. His head wouldn't look out of place in a uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm really tempted to get a few Ringrose Life of Brien t-shirts printed now.

Maybe you can recycle your old "Luke McGrath is the real deal" stock. Keep a few back for next season's "Harrison Brewer lads, I'm telling ye now" range.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

Hagz wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Reid perfectly good personally. I would be fine with Luke Fitzgerald playing 13 until Ringrose steps up.

Reid doesn't have it defensively to be a top class 12.

Another back, along with Madigan who i'd say are playing out of position.

Madigan should have played 9, Reid on the wing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

unce09f wrote: »
    Reid doesn't have it defensively to be a top class 12.

Another back, along with Madigan who i'd say are playing out of position.

Madigan should have played 9, Reid on the wing.

Had Reid played 12 for Leinster before MOC came along? He was a 10 who could cover fullback when Joe was in charge iirc. He'd definitely have the pace to play wing

Had Reid played 12 for Leinster before MOC came along? He was a 10 who could cover fullback when Joe was in charge iirc. He'd definitely have the pace to play wing

if he was in NZ, he would have been a wing IMO.

• Advertisement

No, he alternated between 10 and 12 under Joe.

I think Reid is a quality player who is improving all the time, wouldn't be shifting him anywhere else other than 12.

I think Reid is a quality player who is improving all the time, wouldn't be shifting him anywhere else other than 12.

well he isn't a european cup level winning 12.

Decent 12 for the pro 12 that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe you can recycle your old "Luke McGrath is the real deal" stock. Keep a few back for next season's "Harrison Brewer lads, I'm telling ye now" range.

Surprisingly I still have a few of the Conway/Macken/McGrath holy trinity t-shirt left so I'll see if I can get anything salvaged from them.

Surprisingly I still have a few of the Conway/Macken/McGrath holy trinity t-shirt left so I'll see if I can get anything salvaged from them.

bit harsh to put McGrath in the same category as them.

Macken/Conway are both 2 years older than Luke and had a lot more starts/appearances at the same age.

Yeah, but would a centre pairing of Reid and Ringrose down the line have enough punch? I'd be interested to see how Te'o and Ringrose worked together. Ringrose might be able to work better off a power runner 12 (maybe Fitzgerald if Te'o does go home?).

• Advertisement

Yeah, but would a centre pairing of Reid and Ringrose down the line have enough punch? I'd be interested to see how Te'o and Ringrose worked together. Ringrose might be able to work better off a power runner 12 (maybe Fitzgerald if Te'o does go home?).

Reid/Ringrose is too lightweight for top level rugby.

Look at some of the monsters in centre going around.

Henshaw/Ringrose on the otherhand...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bit harsh to put McGrath in the same category as them.

Macken/Conway are both 2 years older than Luke and had a lot more starts/appearances at the same age.

I agree but I couldn't think of anyone else suitable from the same generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ringrose has put in some serious hits from the wing so far, been pretty impressed by it. I wonder what their plan for him is, position wise.

Reid/Ringrose is too lightweight for top level rugby.

But Reid/Te'o isn't.., so let's keep what we have and look to strengthen it.

We can't dump player A because player B might come good, we need to keep player A, so that if player B comes good, then we have a strong squad with cover for every position.

The jury is very much out on Ringrose.

AdamD wrote: »
    Ringrose has put in some serious hits from the wing so far, been pretty impressed by it. I wonder what their plan for him is, position wise.

his future is in the centre, almost certainly at outside centre.

But Reid/Te'o isn't.., so let's keep what we have and look to strengthen it.

We can't dump player A because player B might come good, we need to keep player A, so that if player B comes good, then we have a strong squad with cover for every position.

The jury is very much out on Ringrose.

Teo is more than likely going back to NRL and Australia.
    Leinster have to plan for the future, it's clear Ringrose has been fast tracked into the team because of his potential at outside centre.

I'm not saying we should "dump" Reid, he is a decent player. However in my opinion he isn't a good enough 12 to win a european cup with. I'm sure i'm not the only one who holds this opinion. Unless a better option at 12 emerges(Luke Fitzgerald maybe?) or we sign one(Henshaw) he looks like he will be 1st choice 12 this year hopefully he improves and proves me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It may have only been a pro 12 game but Reid was by far and away our stand out back (well maybe ferg), personally I think the way our back line moved, was a lot more to do with how Reid played, than how Marsh played. I'd be quite happy to start a European game at this stage with Reid and T'eo, put Luke in his best position on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Apart from the Messiah of course.
    He's nailed on...................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

AdamD wrote: »

He's s centre, but a lot of centres start their careers with a few games on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

stephen_n wrote: »
    It may have only been a pro 12 game but Reid was by far and away our stand out back (well maybe ferg), personally I think the way our back line moved, was a lot more to do with how Reid played, than how Marsh played. I'd be quite happy to start a European game at this stage with Reid and T'eo, put Luke in his best position on the wing.
    Like to see Ross Byrne get a chance to see how the backline might function off him.

• Advertisement

If Conan's still out injured by the time of the Scarlets game should Leinster have a look at Leavy at no. 8, with Peadar Timmins benching? Dom Ryan and van der Flier have been very impressive at blindside and openside respectively

Dom Ryan impressive at blindside?

I think he's been average at best.

Hopefully Conan is good to go, not sure who'd cover 8, doubt it would be leavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Dominic Ryan was cut. Leinster should have kept Jordan Couglan and let Dominic Ryan go to Munster.

wise7 wrote: »
    Like to see Ross Byrne get a chance to see how the backline might function off him.

Ross Byrnes time will come, hopefully he gets some game time in the coming weeks, but it's time for Marsh to show what he can do.

Ross Byrnes time will come, hopefully he gets some game time in the coming weeks, but it's time for Marsh to show what he can do.

long term Byrne is the answer, sooner we blood him the better.

But for right now Marsh is probably the right choice. Given more depth of experience.

Long term Byrne will learn from Sexton and grow as a player, there's plenty of time, Marsh is the best short term option, while sexton and Madigan are away. I'd say Byrne will get a good lot of starts for the A's this year though.

Long term Byrne will learn from Sexton and grow as a player, there's plenty of time, Marsh is the best short term option, while sexton and Madigan are away. I'd say Byrne will get a good lot of starts for the A's this year though.

i'd hope so, we need to keep him developing and pushing on.

God knows what will happen with Madigan after this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McCarthy and Ruddock called up to Ireland and Kev McLaughlin retires.....that's really taken the experience out of the pack for the Lanelli game.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    McCarthy and Ruddock called up to Ireland and Kev McLaughlin retires.....that's really taken the experience out of the pack for the Lanelli game.

Yep. I think Conan is injured too.

Marty Moore was training yesterday after only managing 20 minutes against the Dragons so that's something.

Bent Dundon Moore
    Denton Molony
    Ryan VDF Leavy
    Boss Marsh
    Ringrose Reid Te'o McFadden
    Nacewa

It's a raw enough team alright. LBP would be a great outcome.

• Advertisement

What kind of bench would we be looking at there? :(

Good front row.
    Ok second.
    Ok back row
    decent half backs.
    Good backline.

Could be worse I think!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement