Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Madigan is a decent full-back, just like he's a decent out-half and a decent 12.

However, I would no more drop Rob Kearney to play Madigan at full-back than I would drop Jonny Sexton to play him at out-half. That would be sheer lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Madigan is a decent full-back, just like he's a decent out-half and a decent 12.

However, I would no more drop Rob Kearney to play Madigan at full-back than I would drop Jonny Sexton to play him at out-half. That would be sheer lunacy.

ah you're no craic

Seriously though, is Rob Kearney playing that well that he should be automatically selected? (I don't think so). Madigan can play the position - has a bit of threat about him with ball in hand - and we would have him on the pitch for placekicking duties. Allows us to play Darcy at 12 - midfield defense will be absolutley crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I kicked this whole thing off by suggesting that the relatively novice Te'o may have contributed to defensive errors by being a distraction to the rest of the backs.

This is not to say:

- Te'o is not developing nicely
    - Te'o will never become a decent player for us

Nor is it to say:

- Te'o is a bad signing
    - Furriners out

Rather, it is to say:

The relatively novice Te'o may have contributed to defensive errors by being a distraction to the rest of the backs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

LorMal wrote: »
    Seriously though, is Rob Kearney playing that well that he should be automatically selected? (I don't think so). Madigan can play the position - has a bit of threat about him with ball in hand - and we would have him on the pitch for placekicking duties. Allows us to play Darcy at 12 - midfield defense will be absolutley crucial

Is he playing well enough to keep his place ahead of a reasonably mediocre option at fullback who hasn't played the position in about two years? I'd say yes.

I'd sooner take my chances with gopperth kicking to be honest. If we win this it will be by not making silly mistakes and being opportunistic. All the more reason for DK and fitz really.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I kicked this whole thing off by suggesting that the relatively novice Te'o may have contributed to defensive errors by being a distraction to the rest of the backs.

This is not to say:

- Te'o is not developing nicely
    - Te'o will never become a decent player for us

Nor is it to say:

- Te'o is a bad signing
    - Furriners out

Rather, it is to say:

The relatively novice Te'o may have contributed to defensive errors by being a distraction to the rest of the backs.

Please don't state that as if this is my point of view. It is totally misrepresenting my viewpoint and is a bit of a cheap shot to be honest. I do not think our current group of foreign players are all that great - but I think we have recruited brilliantly from abroad in the past (as I have already said). Nothing to do with 'Furriners out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Please don't state that as if this is my point of view. It is totally misrepresenting my viewpoint and is a bit of a cheap shot to be honest. I do not think our current group of foreign players are all that great - but I think we have recruited brilliantly from abroad in the past (as I have already said). Nothing to do with 'Furriners out'.

Someone posted the 'dey took er jabs' meme, I was making it clear that this was not MY viewpoint.

In fairness, you didn't help your cause by stating that we should get rid of the foreigners...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lets be honest here

you posted
    To Dublin Airport with Kirshner, Teo and Gopperth..and don't spare the horses James.

And I forgot to mention MOC and Douglas for the Aircoach too

so dont try to come off all hard-done-by and mis represented by "furriners out" type posts... you brought it on yourself

I posted the 'jerbs' meme as a humorous response to pudsy33's post... hell i even quoted him in the post !!!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is he playing well enough to keep his place ahead of a reasonably mediocre option at fullback who hasn't played the position in about two years? I'd say yes.

I'd sooner take my chances with gopperth kicking to be honest. If we win this it will be by not making silly mistakes and being opportunistic. All the more reason for DK and fitz really.

I'm not convinced. I really think we need to strengthen midfield if we are to have any chance. To my mind, that means Luke to 13, Darcy to 12. Now, then we either play Jimmy or Madigan at 10.
    Madigan at 10 could seriously backfire - loose kicking from hand will kill us. Therefore Jimmy at 10 is the best of a bad lot.
    Then the only place for Madigan (if we want him) is at 15. Its not outrageuos - Rob K has been very poor recently - no huge loss there.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    lets be honest here

you posted

so dont try to come off all hard-done-by and mis represented by "furriners out" type posts... you brought it on yourself

I posted the 'jerbs' meme as a humorous response to pudsy33's post... hell i even quoted him in the post !!!

No I didn't. It is obvious that I was being tongue in cheek. The mob mentality can be a bit much here sometimes.
    I do not care where anyone is from. I was only making the point that our current contingent are poor enough in comparison to previous recruits.

In fairness, you didn't help your cause by stating that we should get rid of the foreigners...

No TF - its nothing to do with foreigners - couldn't give a flying where they are from.
    Would you suggest that there are currently a successful contingent of NIQs at Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah Jaysus...which games?.... ... Some rugby games with Leinster in them.

None. He's been poor at 15 for us.

Also, saying Rob Kearney has been "very poor" is just wrong on every level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree completely about the need to strengthen the midfield. Rob K is not playing poorly. He's not playing great but fail to see how madigan at 15 is less of a risk than him at 10. Madigan is a better 10 than fullback and Kearney is a better 15 than gopperth is a 10.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No I didn't. It is obvious that I was being tongue in cheek. The mob mentality can be a bit much here sometimes.
    I do not care where anyone is from. I was only making the point that our current contingent are poor enough in comparison to previous recruits.

poor attempt to make a very blindly obvious point

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I agree completely about the need to strengthen the midfield. Rob K is not playing poorly. He's not playing great but fail to see how madigan at 15 is less of a risk than him at 10. Madigan is a better 10 than fullback and Kearney is a better 15 than gopperth is a 10.

fair enough

So it's a coincidence that the four players you suggest deporting are non Irish?

Ah give me a ****ing break will you?

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Greyian wrote: »
    Leinster vs Saracens final so...but who will have the home dressing room for the final?

There will be no more talk of finals and Saracens please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

All that said, I really hope there is more to come in terms of signings. A scrum half is looking more crucial by the week.

This big time but not just an interim one for the RWC, this will be our biggest problem position in the medium term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I didn't mean to accuse anyone of being xenophobic for the record. I just felt rhue players, who happened to be foreigners, were being singled out for unfair criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to accuse anyone of being xenophobic for the record. I just felt rhue players, who happened to be foreigners, were being singled out for unfair criticism.

As much as I disagree with LorMals point I do think people are being a bit reactionary here. He's not happy with the NIQ/project guys we have. He didn't phrase that well to begin with but has since clarified. Any chance we can accept that and move on rather than bicker? Things are already negative enough without having to add this kind of the thing to the mix as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

molloyjh wrote: »
    As much as I disagree with LorMals point I do think people are being a bit reactionary here. He's not happy with the NIQ/project guys we have. He didn't phrase that well to begin with but has since clarified. Any chance we can accept that and move on rather than bicker? Things are already negative enough without having two add this kind of the thing to the mix as well.....

Totally agreed, I was attempting to clarify.

So anyway.....Toulon...

Isa done deal apparently, 2 years and will be playing but with some coaching responsibilities aligned with some experience he has gained recently.

Some doubt about Kirchner, think there might be issues around some of the terms and conditions and I think generally he is under a little pressure which hasn't been helping his performances (certainly has looked to be trying too hard).

A 2 year contract? Wow. That's a gamble if true.

It also means that keeping Kirchner would mean no more NIQs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A 2 year contract? Wow. That's a gamble if true.

It also means that keeping Kirchner would mean no more NIQs

Look at it this way, it gives him time to find his form more. If he was here for 3-6 months he'd only be getting back into it and he'd be gone. This way in the 16-17 season we could have Sexton, Luke, Te'o, Isa and Rob in form......

See, positive....

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

awec wrote: »
    There will be no more talk of finals and Saracens please.

Imagine last play of the game, Saracens behind by 4 points, Chris Ashton going over in the corner, it goes up to the TMO, and Heaslip has knocked the ball out of his hands in the act of grounding.

Or, better yet, he goes over completely unopposed and drops it while doing his swan dive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Greyian wrote: »
    Imagine last play of the game, Saracens behind by 4 points, Chris Ashton going over in the corner, it goes up to the TMO, and Heaslip has knocked the ball out of his hands in the act of grounding.

Or, better yet, he goes over completely unopposed and drops it while doing his swan dive.

I dream about such things regularly.

Isa done deal apparently, 2 years and will be playing but with some coaching responsibilities aligned with some experience he has gained recently.

Some doubt about Kirchner, think there might be issues around some of the terms and conditions and I think generally he is under a little pressure which hasn't been helping his performances (certainly has looked to be trying too hard).

its a bit strange....why did Isa leave in his prime..and want to return now? Bloody foreigners*!!!!!

*joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is Isa currently retired? From Wikipedia it looks like he's been retired since 2013. Tell me we're not signing a guy who will be 33 when he plays his next game, and he won't have played in two years...

As big a fan as I was of him, that's just depressing. Particularly when we need an out half and he was average, at best, in that position.

Has he coached before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement