Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't really understand your point here. The weight bands are extremely wide and wouldn't be nearly as relevant in Ireland as it is in New Zealand due to their mixture of cultures. How many under 13 year olds in Ireland fall outside a 28kg range? In my very short experience of coaching kids that age in Ireland I don't think I saw any.

Weight grading is a great myth that's been introduced to us by semi-educated journalists who've gone down to New Zealand and decided their solution to an entirely different problem (that of dealing with kids from ethnically diverse backgrounds) is what we're missing. It's not. What we're missing is a standard of coaching, particularly of teenagers. The branches need to encourage more ex-players to get involved in coaching and they need to invest more, where possible, in the development of coaches.

I don't really understand your point here. The weight bands are extremely wide and wouldn't be nearly as relevant in Ireland as it is in New Zealand due to their mixture of cultures. How many under 13 year olds in Ireland fall outside a 28kg range? In my very short experience of coaching kids that age in Ireland I don't think I saw any.

Weight grading is a great myth that's been introduced to us by semi-educated journalists who've gone down to New Zealand and decided their solution to an entirely different problem (that of dealing with kids from ethnically diverse backgrounds) is what we're missing. It's not. What we're missing is a standard of coaching, particularly of teenagers. The branches need to encourage more ex-players to get involved in coaching and they need to invest more, where possible, in the development of coaches.

I didn't make a point, I posted the grades.

Get out of defensive mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't make a point, I posted the grades.

Get out of defensive mode!

Oh, well we've seen the grades posted here a few times in recent weeks, I thought you were making a point about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd never seen the grades so thanks for that.

I'd never seen the grades so thanks for that.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

2 or 3 years down the line for Ringrose .ak?! Maybe as a full international starter but I'd like to think he would have graduated from the dirttrackers by next season and be an option for the first choice matchday 23.

I missed the last few pages but rather than counter them all I'll just say this;

You know all those "Your Irish XV in 4 years time" type threads? Well don't they always make interesting reading 4 years on? Almost everyone gets them wrong and almost everyone puts in their flavour of the month, hot out of the academy type player.

As a fan base we seem obsessed with throwing the young guys to the wolves and seeing if they sink or swim. Little thought is put into what happens if they sink? This is people's careers and literally a life time of work getting the player to this stage, and to suggest we gamble on all of that is utter madness. And when you say otherwise you're accused of conservatism.

It's not comparable to the situation in England IMO. It may be comparable to Wales but a lot of their young players who've been blooded early are struggling to play at this level IMO, apart from the specimens in North, Davies etc.

It takes time for guys like Ringrose to play to their peak, rushing it is just silly. He'd be murdered in a ECC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    It takes time for guys like Ringrose to play to their peak, rushing it is just silly. He'd be murdered in a ECC game.

In 2016/17 I'd like to think he wouldn't. You'll notice I said an option for the matchday 23, I didn't go as far as to say starter / guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

In 2016/17 I'd like to think he wouldn't. You'll notice I said an option for the matchday 23, I didn't go as far as to say starter / guaranteed starter.

You never know. But the reality is we've very good options ahead of him in every position, so unless there's injuries I can't see him making the 23 for the ECC next season.

That's why I said 2-3 seasons.

Sexton is back training and likely will play before the first Champions Cup game. That's a big, big boost to our chances.

I'm still gloomy from the world cup. This has really cheered me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

What team are we expecting/hoping to see for Sunday so? Hopefully if there is a sprinkling of internationals back the likes of VDF and Ringrose will still be involved, but with sexton and madigan back I doubt we'll see Ross Byrne again until the 6N (not a bad thing, he showed against Scarlets that he still has lots of developing to do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'll make a stab at what I think we'll see:

Bent Cronin Furlong
    Moloney McCarthy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

Reddan Byrne
    Reid Te'o
    Ringrose Nacewa McFadden

Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Denton, Murphy, McGrath, Marsh, Fitzgerald

We could see Byrne get a run out beside Reddan as it'll be his last chance for a while to get some time and he'll have enough experience around him to make it easier on him.

I'm going to be upset if Luke McGrath is out of the match day squad.

I'm going to be upset if Luke McGrath is out of the match day squad.

I don't think he will be. There'd be no reason for it unless Byrne was on the bench and they wanted some experience beside him at 9 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think he will be. There'd be no reason for it unless Byrne was on the bench and they wanted some experience beside him at 9 maybe?

You reckon we'll have Reddan and Boss? I was really hoping McGrath would get another chance.

vienne86 wrote: »
    You reckon we'll have Reddan and Boss? I was really hoping McGrath would get another chance.

Thinking about it a bit more I reckon Boss did a pretty good job against Glasgow last week off the bench. He was poor against Scarlets, but that could have been because he had to babysit Byrne and so had to take additional responsibilities. His time as a starter may well be done, but he can offer something from the bench. I reckon we'll see McGrath and Marsh as a regular partnership so we could even see those 2 starting with Redser and Byrne on the bench. I just hope we don't see Boss and Byrne starting as we were very poor against Scarlets with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Hayden Triggs
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jack Conan

16. Richardt Strauss
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Noel Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

LostArt wrote: »
    15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Hayden Triggs
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jack Conan

16. Richardt Strauss
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Noel Reid

A BP win please :pac:
    Very Strong team, few players need to get up to speed but that is good to see with the next few months coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I wasn't expecting Sexton back....that's a surprise...

All in all that's a strong team...and a strong bench..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Isa officially club captain too. Interesting choice. Maybe taken off Heaslip so he can focus on Ireland captaincy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

tbm wrote: »
    Isa officially club captain too. Interesting choice. Maybe taken off Heaslip so he can focus on Ireland captaincy?

Jamie Heaslip and Johnny Sexton were also confirmed as the Leinster Rugby vice-captains for the season ahead.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14183.php#.VjNf8LfhDcs

LostArt wrote: »
    15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Hayden Triggs
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jack Conan

16. Richardt Strauss
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Noel Reid

Wow! What a team.

SEXTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And look at the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Lukey and Teo... Can't wait to see how they go together outside sexton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Please tell me Teo is staying

I didn't see that coming......lovely!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Where's Madigan?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The fact that Heaslip is going to go missing again around 6 Nations time may have had something to do with it. Isa, barring injury, will be around all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be on TV?

Where's Madigan?

Same place as Heaslip, SOB, Rob Kearney I guess.

Grand team anyway, really hope the centre pairing click.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Where's Madigan?

He had more time playing at WC than Sexton so I guess he is having a rest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement