Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is Isa currently retired? From Wikipedia it looks like he's been retired since 2013. Tell me we're not signing a guy who will be 33 when he plays his next game, and he won't have played in two years...

As big a fan as I was of him, that's just depressing. Particularly when we need an out half and he was average, at best, in that position.

Has he coached before?

He hasn't played in 2 years, he's been coaching since he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He hasn't played in 2 years, he's been coaching since he left.

Ok, hopefully he's being signed more in a coaching role than any genuine hope that he's going to plug the 10 issue while Sexton and Madigan are on international duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

From watching back the QF last time out, there are plenty of reasons to feel confident that Leinster are in with a decent shout. That was a very tight game, one where things could have turned in our favor on another day. Our defense was much better then, pretty shocking how much it has deteriorated since.

A 2 year contract? Wow. That's a gamble if true.

It also means that keeping Kirchner would mean no more NIQs

Yeah I was thinking one year at most but as far as I know the players are of the belief that he is coming back on a 2 year deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It does seem strange for Nacewa to come back as I thought one of the reasons he left in the first place was to be with his family in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

Nacewa and someone else could be in the picture for the backline.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you're nuts re-signing Isa tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

awec wrote: »
    I think you're nuts re-signing Isa tbh.

Hard to disagree with that. But presumably Mick Dawson sees something in it, never mind O'Connor in the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Even if he comes back 60% of the player he was, he'd be worth it. A class act who can have nothing but a positive influence *

* Unless he's become fat and injury prone :pac:

Synode wrote: »
    Even if he comes back 60% of the player he was, he'd be worth it. A class act who can have nothing but a positive influence *

* Unless he's become fat and injury prone :pac:

I really don't think he would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's a ridiculous idea and one I've come to accept. As hard as it is to swallow, he wasn't even too good in his final season with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's only been 2 years. He wont be the same, but I do think he can have a good influence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous idea and one I've come to accept. As hard as it is to swallow, he wasn't even too good in his final season with us.

Ah here, in that last season he was a class act that would hugely improve the backline now if he played to that level. But he almost certainly won't

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tox56 wrote:
    Ah here, in that last season he was a class act that would hugely improve the backline now if he played to that level. But he almost certainly won't

He hit strong form in the run in, post Six Nations but prior to that he was nowhere near as influential as he was in the previous two seasons.

It's harsh because of who he is, but I honestly think he's a waste of a NIQ spot. Is a guy who has been retired for two years really the best Leinster can find?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Bringing Isa back for a two year contract would be very very very strange. I can't see him going well. In fact I think it could be a bit of a disaster. I'm afraid he'll damage his legacy. People like us will be trying to remind others how good he was before if it goes all Muliaina this time.

Like Buer said, he was noticeably poorer in his last season. Possibly to do with his arm injury, which seemed pretty chronic, though. Maybe that will have cleared up by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Buer wrote: »
    He hit strong form in the run in, post Six Nations but prior to that he was nowhere near as influential as he was in the previous two seasons.

In fairness, he was carrying an arm injury and but for the rest of the backs also being crocked, he'd have played a lot fewer games.

But still, this could be either the greatest move in the history of rugby, or it could seriously tarnish the legend of an all time great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It's harsh because of who he is, but I honestly think he's a waste of a NIQ spot. Is a guy who has been retired for two years really the best Leinster can find?

If Kirchner is let go there's still 2 NIQ spots to be filled, so I doubt Nacewa is the end of the signings or the best Leinster can find. Thing is though Leinster already have their Piutau/Saili and then some in the form of Sexton, as much as I would love to see it I can't imagine we'll be getting someone on the level of the two named above

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Imo stick a load foinn carrs in the backline and we'll still challenge for silverware with sexton.

I do worry about our future at 9 tho.

Has anyone tried to argue that Leinster has been proven to be in the top 4 teams in Europe yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leinster have already expressed that they're not in the market for a Saili or a Piutau. If they're not interested in signing a top drawer NIQ in the backs then it makes sense to fill the spot with someone of the experience of Nacewa.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nacewa on a World Cup joker playing contract and a two year coaching contract is one thing.

A two year playing contract? Bizarre.

Hagz wrote: »
    Leinster have already expressed that they're not in the market for a Saili or a Piutau. If they're not interested in signing a top drawer NIQ in the backs then it makes sense to fill the spot with someone of the experience of Nacewa.

I think that's grasping at straws to be honest.

Fair enough you're not after a Piutau or Saili, but there's a million miles in between them two and a guy who hasn't played in two years.

I think that's grasping at straws to be honest.

Fair enough you're not after a Piutau or Saili, but there's a million miles in between them two and a guy who hasn't played in two years.

If they're not in the market for a Saili or a Piutau, then they should just stay off the market. Anything under that level would be pretty much on par with what's already here.
    If Leinster aren't in the market for a top drawer back 3 player then I'd rather they just left it alone than sign another Zane Kirchneresque player.

I would imagine Nacewa has been signed for what he can bring off the field more so than on it.

But why sign him as a player then? As a player he is most likely at the stage where he is worse than what you have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Kirchner leaves and RK, DK, and Luke Fitz go to the RWC we don't have any Senior players who can play 15 do we?

But why sign him as a player then? As a player he is most likely at the stage where he is worse than what you have.

Why not?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Kirchner leaves and RK, DK, and Luke Fitz go to the RWC we don't have any Senior players who can play 15 do we?

No, but Cian Kelleher has been devastating in the AIL and in the B&I Cup. I'd be unhappy if Matt O'Connor isn't willing to put faith in him. But regardless, I think it's highly unlikely DK will go to the WC.

I'd imagine Reddan, Boss, Sexton, Madigan, and D'arcy will go.

As will Luke Fitz, RK, and I'd imagine one of DK or McFadden.

That leaves a very callow looking backline where any experienced player will be welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hagz wrote: »
    Why not?

He's going to be 33 and not have played for two years. That speaks for itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement