Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They didn't take the captaincy off Heaslip. Kevin McLoughlin was club captain before his retirement.

That was just during the RWC period. I don't think he was ever going to be permanent captain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Luke at 12, Awooga!

Leinster by the GDP of a small country

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

They didn't take the captaincy off Heaslip. Kevin McLoughlin was club captain before his retirement.

He wasn't. He was named temporary captain during the World Cup, heaslip was named as club captain iirc.

.ak wrote: »
    He wasn't. He was named temporary captain during the World Cup, heaslip was named as club captain iirc.

I've defended Heaslip a lot and heard great things about his leadership qualities. But Ireland looked rudderless against Argentina. Not suggesting it's Heaslips fault as I've no visibility on the team dynamic, but if he is no longer club captain as you say then three possibilities:

1. Taken off him as isn't up to it / better option available
    2. Heaslip doesn't want the burden of it any more.
    3. Now Ireland captain and has to focus on that.

He looked mighty shook after the loss to the Argies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When was Heaslip named club captain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

When was Heaslip named club captain?

He wasn't. Nobody was. Locky was named the captain for the RWC and there was speculation at the time as to whether that meant Heaslip would take over when he got back, but nothing permanent was ever announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »

theres a reason out halves arent usually captain.

1. they have enough responsibility already
    2. they have to ready to organise instantly, and therefore being called over for ref chats is disruptive
    3. theyre always moody ba$tards

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've defended Heaslip a lot and heard great things about his leadership qualities. But Ireland looked rudderless against Argentina. Not suggesting it's Heaslips fault as I've no visibility on the team dynamic, but if he is no longer club captain as you say then three possibilities:

He looked mighty shook after the loss to the Argies'.

agree, Jamie is a fine player , but I'm probably old fashioned , but like my captains more Woody/POC - we really lacked leadership against Argentina, and all week leading up to the game - certainly not Jamies fault , just don't think its his style

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

thebaz wrote: »
    agree, Jamie is a fine player , but I'm probably old fashioned , but like my captains more Woody/POC - we really lacked leadership against Argentina, and all week leading up to the game - certainly not Jamies fault , just don't think its his style

I wonder how POC's leadership would have stood up without the other leaders?
    By all accounts Sexton knows everyone else's role as well as he knows his own and isn't afraid to bark orders. POM also a leader on the field.
    It's a big ask for anyone to step into those shoes in such an important game, to have to do it shorn of your main support is twice as hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I wonder how POC's leadership would have stood up without the other leaders?
    By all accounts Sexton knows everyone else's role as well as he knows his own and isn't afraid to bark orders. POM also a leader on the field.
    It's a big ask for anyone to step into those shoes in such an important game, to have to do it shorn of your main support is twice as hard.

I agree we lost many leaders ,BUT a true great leader does not need other leaders - Jamie is many great things, but just doesn't strike me as a natural leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

ssaye2 wrote: »

Looks grand, has anyone decent been left out?

Think byrne twins injured so Dundon still 3rd hooker. Not too many surprises McGrath fanning pro 12 at best

Think byrne twins injured so Dundon still 3rd hooker. Not too many surprises McGrath fanning pro 12 at best

Is it me or are the Byrnes injured a lot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ucdb0ller

Bryan isn't injured

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ucdb0ller

Is it me or are the Byrnes injured a lot?

they are pretty small front rowers

ucdb0ller wrote: »
    Bryan isn't injured
    Sorry thought I read on lf was taken off at scarlets and not right since. Grand

Yeah I saw Bryan down in castle avenue training last night, he's grand.

Yeah I saw Bryan down in castle avenue last night, he's grand, out for the Clontarfs captain run.
    Excellent very useful dynamic player

• Advertisement

No Fanning or McGrath! ;)

Back to not trusting AIL players, sad times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I had a look at the Toulon squad..holy cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Results couldn't have been worse in other game really for us need a BP to keeping touch

Yes we do, but with that team, I would be hopeful.

I know we don't seem to agree on this but I'm delighted to see Kelleher and Ringrose in ahead of those two, development of younger backs was badly neglected over the previous 2 seasons so it seems Cullen is trying to do something about it.

Tbh I think Fanning was living a bit of a charmed life last season and he just wasn't able for the step up to higher level rugby so I'm fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fanning is not up to European Cup level.

vienne86 wrote: »

His strike rate of 0.5 tries per ECC appearance say otherwise :pac:

vienne86 wrote: »

Ye of short memories! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tbh I think Fanning was living a bit of a charmed life last season and he just wasn't able for the step up to higher level rugby so I'm fine with it.

e6bNqT7.png

Fanning put his hand up the last two seasons and when the standard of competition went up, so did his performances.

That said, we were in a bad spot injury wise to be in a situation where a barely pro12 standard player was starting European Rugby. Truth be told, for all those people who bang on about try scoring stats, he is a good example of why that doesn't say an awful lot much of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    savea was playing club rugby at 20
    james o connor made his super rugby debut at 17
    Akira Ioane playing consistently with the blues last year at 20, one of their best players.

Next season should be Ringrose' breakthrough season with consistent rugby, this year he should be getting bench chances frequently.
    If he's good enough he's old enough this year. If BOD appeared now we'd have the tired old claptrap - 'He needs another year.' or 'He needs 4 more kgs.'
    Scythica wrote: »
    Maybe Madigan is moving to Ulster to let him and PJ fight it out :)
    We don't need a back-up 12....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement