Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Is it me or are the Byrnes injured a lot?

Ed the LH has been injured a bit. Bryan the hooker hasn't. Both have looked good from what little I've seen of them. Really handy in the loose in particular. Would love to see both get a run when the internationals are away.

Leinster have announced their European squad.

Looseheads:|Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Michael Bent, Peter Dooley
    Hookers:|Richardt Strauss, Sean Cronin, Aaron Dundon, James Tracy
    Tightheads:|Mike Ross, Martin Moore, Tadhg Furlong
    Locks:|Devin Toner, Mike McCarthy, Ross Molony, Hayden Triggs
    Flankers:|Sean O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan, Josh Van Der Flier, Daniel Leavy
    Number 8s:|Jamie Heaslip, Jack Conan
    |
    Scrum-Halves:|Eoin Reddan, Luke McGrath, Isaac Boss
    Out-Halves:|Johnny Sexton, Ian Madigan, Cathal Marsh
    Inside Centres:|Luke Fitzgerald, Noel Reid
    Outside Centres:|Ben Te'o, Colm O'Shea
    Wingers:|Dave Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Garry Ringrose, Cian Kelleher
    Full Backs:|Rob Kearney, Isa Nacewa, Zane Kirchner

Reid is the only real 12 in there so I'm assuming given that and the selection for tomorrow Luke is being looked at for centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Luke in the centre, finally!

Also, who is Hayden Triggs? Have barely seen any of the games this season due to the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Also, who is Hayden Triggs? Have barely seen any of the games this season due to the WC

NZ journeyman, signed as cover for Mick Kearney. Don't think he's played yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's second row cover, played ITM and a bit of Super rugby in NZ and this is his first game so in guessing most of us know as much as you really! I've never seen him play anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He's second row cover, played ITM and a bit of Super rugby in NZ and this is his first game so in guessing most of us know as much as you really! I've never seen him play anyway.

And he's lining out for us tomorrow in Treviso.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leinster have announced their European squad.

Looseheads:|Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Michael Bent, Peter Dooley
    Hookers:|Richardt Strauss, Sean Cronin, Aaron Dundon, James Tracy
    Tightheads:|Mike Ross, Martin Moore, Tadhg Furlong
    Locks:|Devin Toner, Mike McCarthy, Ross Molony, Hayden Triggs
    Flankers:|Sean O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan, Josh Van Der Flier, Daniel Leavy
    Number 8s:|Jamie Heaslip, Jack Conan
    |
    Scrum-Halves:|Eoin Reddan, Luke McGrath, Isaac Boss
    Out-Halves:|Johnny Sexton, Ian Madigan, Cathal Marsh
    Inside Centres:|Luke Fitzgerald, Noel Reid
    Outside Centres:|Ben Te'o, Colm O'Shea
    Wingers:|Dave Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Garry Ringrose, Cian Kelleher
    Full Backs:|Rob Kearney, Isa Nacewa, Zane Kirchner

Reid is the only real 12 in there so I'm assuming given that and the selection for tomorrow Luke is being looked at for centre.

No other 12's than Reid I thought, isn't even COS a 13?

CatFromHue wrote: »

Madser and Fitzy are the cover, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fitzgerald and Madigan would be the others I presume.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah that's what I mean, we've no other out and out 12 in the squad (even though Reid is a converted 10!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

thebaz wrote: »
    agree, Jamie is a fine player , but I'm probably old fashioned , but like my captains more Woody/POC - we really lacked leadership against Argentina, and all week leading up to the game - certainly not Jamies fault , just don't think its his style

We were missing POC, Sexton, SOB and POM, it didn't matter who was captain, we were always going to be lacking a huge amount of leadership that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

yeah that's what I mean, we've no other out and out 12 in the squad (even though Reid is a converted 10!)

I wouldn't mind pushing McFadden back into 12. I've gone completely off McFadden lately and I don't want to see him starting much more games on the wing for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    If he's good enough he's old enough this year. If BOD appeared now we'd have the tired old claptrap - 'He needs another year.' or 'He needs 4 more kgs.'

We don't need a back-up 12....:D

If BOD appeared now he'd get nowhere near a team probably, that's the nature of the game these days. Look at Oldings injury profile, a player that could easily be compared with a young BOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No Daragh Fanning in the squad?

Been hearing rumours of a big money Toulon switch, might explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Ceadog wrote: »

fanning and savea on the wings. :eek:

Fanning out and Ringrose in. Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hagz wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind pushing McFadden back into 12. I've gone completely off McFadden lately and I don't want to see him starting much more games on the wing for Leinster.

I don't particularly want to see him at 12 based on his last few performances. His distribution is appalling recently - puts the head down and runs into contact without ever looking for the support runners. Quite strange because he's a far better player than that

Heroditas wrote: »
    I don't particularly want to see him at 12 based on his last few performances. His distribution is appalling recently - puts the head down and runs into contact without ever looking for the support runners. Quite strange because he's a far better player than that

Maybe MOC taught him to do that, and he hasn't updated his software.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Heroditas wrote:

a result of the early season Ireland camps? - thats rule 1 for wingers under Joe. Low risk, hit rucks and ensure you get the ball recycled quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ceadog wrote: »

He's moving to a French bank?...or has he got a job as an electrician..:D

Heroditas wrote: »

What is the problem with that? We are told it's a brilliant and deliberate ploy when Rob Kearney does it so it must be a good thing for McFadden too....Unless there is of course a different standard applied to both players. Could that be possible. One player runs into opponents and gets lauded to the heavens for it while another does it and gets the metaphoric boot in the 'nads for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

a result of the early season Ireland camps? - thats rule 1 for wingers under Joe. Low risk, hit rucks and ensure you get the ball recycled quickly.

Hardly an excuse for how he's been playing recently when he's been playing under Joe for years and someone like Fitzgerald is literally the complete opposite, it's been frustrating and he definitely hasn't been playing as well as he can

What is the problem with that? We are told it's a brilliant and deliberate ploy when Rob Kearney does it so it must be a good thing for McFadden too....Unless there is of course a different standard applied to both players. Could that be possible. One player runs into opponents and gets lauded to the heavens for it while another does it and gets the metaphoric boot in the 'nads for the same thing.

Rob doesn't get lauded for it. It appears a lot because people have to explain what he's doing.

It all depends on the circumstance in fairness. And I think the point is being made that Ferg, even in attack, has been putting the head down and taking contact. Which is an entirely different thing to a FB receiving a kick and doing it with almost all his team mates in front of him.

The Gilroy debate on the Ireland thread almost has a bearing here. Personally I think Gilroy is excellent at Pro12 level, good at European level and decent at international level. He has issues in his game that will get exposed more the higher the level he plays at. Defence and decision making being the stand outs for me. But you need guys like that at club level even if (and maybe especially if) they don't make the national side.

Ferg isn't showing any of that at the moment. He's been rock solid and as usual has worked his socks off, but he hasn't been offering a serious threat from the wide channels. Ringrose has been more incisive.

What an absolutely useless post. This is the Leinster thread and the discussion is about Leinster selections, your unhappiness about poor old Craig Gilroy being overlooked is irrelevant to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

In fairness McFadden has been playing with a second string set of forwards and they just don't give the support that the starting 15 do. A lot of the time he takes contact it is followed by him winning that collision and staying on his feet gaining yards and keeping possession.

I'd personally rather that than someone who beats a player once in a while but gets countless penalties given against him for being caught with no support. The first choice forwards back will allow him much more freedom and confidence to run the ball with more freedom.

What an absolutely useless post. This is the Leinster thread and the discussion is about Leinster selections, your unhappiness about poor old Craig Gilroy being overlooked is irrelevant to it.

I am not remotely unhappy about Gilroy 'being overlooked'. I have never suggested that he should be in the Ireland side. What is useless about the post?

"What is the problem with that? We are told it's a brilliant and deliberate ploy when Rob Kearney does it so it must be a good thing for McFadden too....Unless there is of course a different standard applied to both players. Could that be possible. One player runs into opponents and gets lauded to the heavens for it while another does it and gets the metaphoric boot in the 'nads for the same thing."

It is an appropriate observation on one player doing the same as another yet with different opinions on it's worth. I hesitate to describe any post as useless..except for yours above which is not only without merit but not even based on anything I've said and serves no purpose at all. The purpose of the Forum is for the discussion of different opinions. Apparently so long as they don't coincide with yours. Why bring Gilroy into a Leinster thread in a post about McFadden? I'm afraid you need to up the old Observational skills there. Keep trying though. I've no idea why it has got under your skin.

I am not remotely unhappy about Gilroy 'being overlooked'. I have never suggested that he should be in the Ireland side. What is useless about the post? It is an appropriate observation on one player doing the same as another yet with different opinions on it's worth. I hesitate to describe any post as useless..except for the one above which is not only without merit but not even based on anything I've said. Why bring Gilroy into a Leinster thread in a post about McFadden? I'm afraid you need to up the old Observational skills there. Keep trying though.

You think it's appropriate to describe Rob Kearney as being "lauded to the heavens" for running the ball into contact? Surely it should be easy for you to provide a bit of evidence there?

On the bolded - Why bring Rob Kearney into a discussion about McFadden? Why bring Luke Fitz into a discussion about Zebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Easy to tell the RWC is over and the normal provincial neurosis and nonsense has recommenced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

On the bolded - Why bring Rob Kearney into a discussion about McFadden? Why bring Luke Fitz into a discussion about Zebo?

Two players who play for the same team in a thread about said team.... why indeed!

Haven't seen Zebo mentioned in this thread. Maybe I missed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement