Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

aimee1 wrote: »
    http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/11/unsuprisingly-this-jimmy-gopperth.html

gopperth cited for this, might not be available for the ECC game

That was idiotic - he's going to be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ah come on lads-they just announced Nacewa as the club captain. Surely if he plays he is the captain regardless of who else plays?

I agree, but I don't think club captaincy means he automatically has to start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What is Gopperth at?

That looks like he's leading with the elbow on purpose!

Wow, that was some smack!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ah come on lads-they just announced Nacewa as the club captain. Surely if he plays he is the captain regardless of who else plays?

This is possible but it would seem strange to me if Heaslip was on the pitch and Nacewa was captaining ahead of him. Heaslip has been groomed for the role for years, was our captain last year, has been captaining Ireland (and would seem likely to take over that role permanently) and if nothing else its generally accepted that forwards are preferable as captains to back 3 players for ease of communication with the ref

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

errlloyd wrote: »
    I agree, but I don't think club captaincy means he automatically has to start

Captaincy doesn't mean he should automatically start but his form so far this season would make it hard to drop him.
    Tox56 wrote: »
    This is possible but it would seem strange to me if Heaslip was on the pitch and Nacewa was captaining ahead of him. Heaslip has been groomed for the role for years, was our captain last year, has been captaining Ireland (and would seem likely to take over that role permanently) and if nothing else its generally accepted that forwards are preferable as captains to back 3 players for ease of communication with the ref

Barring the 6 Nations period Heaslip will probably play most matches so why bother naming Isa as anything if Heaslip is just going to be captain?

• Advertisement

He's red hot at the moment. I'd love to know what he's learned in his two years off and if he thinks he could be a better player now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What is Gopperth at?

That looks like he's leading with the elbow on purpose!

Worse, it looks like he really swung for him. Could be in some serious trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

what makes it worse is that after leading with the elbow he tries to disguise by catching a non existant ball, thats 6 weeks right there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's bizarre as it looks really dirty but Gopperth isn't a dirty player so doesn't make sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads, can I ask you a question? Do any of you do the thing where you pay for a majority of your leinster season ticket and then they do a payment each month?

I signed up for that but they've not taken anything out of my account apart from the initial payment back in the middle of September at all?

Any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's bizarre as it looks really dirty but Gopperth isn't a dirty player so doesn't make sense.

Maybe tait tried to get under his skin... And did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

typhoony wrote: »
    what makes it worse is that after leading with the elbow he tries to disguise by catching a non existant ball, thats 6 weeks right there

Unless they're looking to make an example there isn't a hope he is getting 6 weeks. It will be 2/3 weeks reduced to 1/2 because he wore a suit to the hearing, apologised on Twitter, had his priest write a letter of recommendation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Aside from that, how's he been going at wasps?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Barring the 6 Nations period Heaslip will probably play most matches so why bother naming Isa as anything if Heaslip is just going to be captain?

Again, you're missing the fact that there is a difference between club captain and the person who gets named captain for an individual game.

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads, can I ask you a question? Do any of you do the thing where you pay for a majority of your leinster season ticket and then they do a payment each month?

I signed up for that but they've not taken anything out of my account apart from the initial payment back in the middle of September at all?

Any thoughts on this?

Strange, they've taken mine each month since I renewed. It's probably a bank thing. New DDs have to in to the bank 2 weeks or so in advance of being taken from your account, whereas existing DDs need just a week or so. If Leinster didn't get the DD file in on time for whatever reason then it could be delayed. Wait and see this month if anything comes out.

.ak wrote: »
    Aside from that, how's he been going at wasps?

Was talking to a Wasps mate about it and he's not made much of an impression really according to him. Some have even said already that they need a new 10. I haven't seen them yet this season so I don't know how fair that is.

I can see him being out for 2 weeks for that incident though so we may not get to see first hand yet.

Leinster seem reasonably confident Fitz will be out this weekend but back for Wasps.

Leinster seem reasonably confident Fitz will be out this weekend but back for Wasps.

It's a tough one to call. Fitz needs time at centre with T'eo if they are going to be first choice. But with his injury profile it makes sense to have Reid and T'eo playing together as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Any Idea when Charles Piutau joins Wasps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

scott1974 wrote: »
    Any Idea when Charles Piutau joins Wasps

He's not in their European squad yet anyway so won't be available to play us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's a tough one to call. Fitz needs time at centre with T'eo if they are going to be first choice. But with his injury profile it makes sense to have Reid and T'eo playing together as much as possible.

I thought Reid and T'eo looked good together at the weekend, but then of course the opposition would make anyone look good.

I really hope that Fitz is OK and will only miss one week - by his standards, he has had a decent injury free run lately.

Has anyone worked out what we are gonna do with Zane Kircherner yet? He just doesn't really fit in at the moment, although I respect the fact he can cover lots of positions - and he'd be relying on injuries. He doesn't make my European 23 on merit and he doesn't make my Rabo 23 because I rate it as a development opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

So far this year in the 2 games I've seen Scarlets play they've been blatantly having a player cut across in front of the opposition just after or during the tackle, slowing players getting to the breakdown and turning over ball or slowing it considerably.

Both Leinster and Munster seemed to struggle with it and I don't remember seeing them pulled up on it. Is it fair game to hit a player who is a yard offside at your side of the ruck as if he were part of the ruck?

I know all teams try this but Scarlets appear to target it big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Has anyone worked out what we are gonna do with Zane Kircherner yet? He just doesn't really fit in at the moment, although I respect the fact he can cover lots of positions - and he'd be relying on injuries. He doesn't make my European 23 on merit and he doesn't make my Rabo 23 because I rate it as a development opportunity.

We leave him on the bench or in the stands until he's needed and we play him in the Pro12 when we have to rest people.

If Leinster are serious about getting back to the top of the pile, then we need quality cover in all positions. We can't be in a position where we have to be going to the likes of Fanning, Mick McGrath or the academy for European games, we need depth and quality.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Yep, my suspicion is that we were allowed to re-sign him because MOC was intending to play Nacewa at 10. But with Nacewa now viewed as a back three option Kirchner is pretty much surplus to requirements. Kelleher has hardly got a look in even with him away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And so it begins

"And on the third day The Lord said: 'Give Luke just one more week will ye'"

hogandrew wrote: »
    So far this year in the 2 games I've seen Scarlets play they've been blatantly having a player cut across in front of the opposition just after or during the tackle, slowing players getting to the breakdown and turning over ball or slowing it considerably.

Both Leinster and Munster seemed to struggle with it and I don't remember seeing them pulled up on it. Is it fair game to hit a player who is a yard offside at your side of the ruck as if he were part of the ruck?

I know all teams try this but Scarlets appear to target it big time.

It seems to be more and more common now to take guys out of the game beyond the ruck or obstruct them joining the ruck entirely. It's a bug bear of mine at the moment but you have to play the ref so can't really knock Scarlets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

molloyjh wrote: »
    It seems to be more and more common now to take guys out of the game beyond the ruck or obstruct them joining the ruck entirely. It's a bug bear of mine at the moment but you have to play the ref so can't really knock Scarlets for it.

You can win a World Cup doing it :D

*I'm not for one second saying this is what won them the WC, they were far and away the best team, but they were the best at systematically obstructing the ruck

dub_skav wrote: »
    You can win a World Cup doing it :D

*I'm not for one second saying this is what won them the WC, they were far and away the best team, but they were the best at systematically obstructing the ruck

It has become a regular occurrence and it's bloody frustrating to watch I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Mads is back. His hair is not.

CS0bLInWUAA8T-y.jpg

Interesting to see where he fits in this season.

I dunno, I'd say he'll be going. Why would he stay? I believe he's an ECC and international standard 10, he just needs to be trusted and given time there. Sexton is back, Marsh is going well. I'd be looking at the T14 or the Premiership if I was him. I don't want him to go, but I really want him to succeed. He deserves it.

#feckinmattofeckinconnor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement