Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

rrpc wrote: »

Jeez, that a bit of a damning quote from a player about a recent coach.

I've heard one or two small things from current and ex players since MOC departed but that is the strongest worded I'm aware of and it sounds like there is plenty more under the surface.

From Dev too...

EDIT: read the article, the second part was journalist commentary and not Dev's words so above is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

EDIT: read the article, the second part was journalist commentary and not Dev's words so above is irrelevant.

Yeah, exactly.

I really wish people would stop quoting from the42.ie, it's the worst source of "news" on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, exactly.

I really wish people would stop quoting from the42.ie, it's the worst source of "news" on the internet.

Ah it's a step up from balls.ie in fairness. Not that that's saying much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Yeah, exactly.

I'd agree on that if you were talking about the journal, but the 42 is pretty good for rugby commentary and news.

That comment is pretty innocuous to be fair. It's only interesting as a contrast.

rrpc wrote: »
    I'd agree on that if you were talking about the journal, but the 42 is pretty good for rugby commentary and news.

That comment is pretty innocuous to be fair. It's only interesting as a contrast.

It's terrible journalism, it's blurring the lines between reporting and subjective comment. If the dude who wrote this wants to speculate on last season, grand, but it should be clearly separated from what Toner said about training under Leo.

I know most people don't care about this, but it's a pet hate of mine and the42 are the worst culprits for it.

• Advertisement

It's terrible journalism, it's blurring the lines between reporting and subjective comment. If the dude who wrote this wants to speculate on last season, grand, but it should be clearly separated from what Toner said about training under Leo.

I know most people don't care about this, but it's a pet hate of mine and the42 are the worst culprits for it.

He's not actually speculating though is he? The quote from the article basically says that there were times that the press conferences were delayed because training was running over time. Or at least that's how I read the quote. I suppose he was speculating as to the impact that had on the players.

That said I neither know nor care at this stage. It's in the past and I'm more than happy to just move on. I like the noises coming from Leo on guys like Ringrose and Moloney. They've impressed and that they are doing so from Monday to Friday as well is really positive news. I'd much rather focus on stuff like that personally. It'll be interesting to see how Leo does in the next few months in terms of managing the group of players. That kind of thing can be a tough juggling act and few people are naturals from the off. Good managers will have learned with experience.

15 Aled Thomas, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay [c]

Replacements: Ken Owens, Dylan Evans, Will Taylor, Tom Price, Maselino Paulino, Aled Davies, Michael Collins, Harry Robinson

Not their strongest side by any means, DTHVDM and Samson Lee are rested, they have a few key injuries - I'd be hoping for a win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14210#.VjtGB7fhDcs
    LEINSTER:

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Zane Kirchner
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Noel Reid
    11. Cian Kelleher
    10. Ian Madigan
    9. Isaac Boss
    1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Tom Denton
    6. Dominic Ryan
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Hayden Triggs
    20. Dan Leavy
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Johnny Sexton
    23. Ben Te'o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Poster above correct on ringrose

half and half team with the 5 day turnaround since treviso

Going to be tough enough, bench very strong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looks like everyone's looking at the following weekend with these selections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Some good and some bad in there. Boss, Ryan, Denton, what's the point?

James Tracy??

Am I right in saying that is an entirely new starting XV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

That's a bit of a curve ball from Leo...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

James Tracy??

Am I right in saying that is an entirely new starting XV?

Did Healy start last week. I can't remember.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Did Healy start last week. I can't remember.

No, McGrath got a try after about three minutes.

I'm delighted for Tracy to be making his first start but the fact that neither Cronin nor Strauss are in the 23 is slightly alarming.

Wow, I half expected a mix and match but not that. Imagine how giddy Tracy is right now. And Kelleher in the back 3 alongside Zane and Rob. I was talking earlier about managing the playing group but I think that's pure genius. All the internationals will get a run out prior to the Wasps game, but the young lads won't be feeling shut out at the same time. Plus look at what the finishing XV will probably look like:

Healy Byrne Moore
    Toner Triggs
    SOB Heaslip Leavy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid Te'o
    Ringrose Kearney Kirchner

I'm seriously excited about this game now. It won't be a gimme by any stretch of the imagination but I reckon Leo is managing this just right. Remember we don't have a break until the 6 Nations so we need to keep everyone fresh and up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Wow, who would have expected Leinster to put out a team like that against the League leaders. I reckon Boss is there to have some experience for the young guys out side him. A McGrath, Madigan, Reid, Ringrose, Kelleher combination would be lacking in leadership/experience quite a bit even with Kirchner and Kearney alongside. Boss will bark orders at the younger guys in the pack well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

No, McGrath got a try after about three minutes.

I'm delighted for Tracy to be making his first start but the fact that neither Cronin nor Strauss are in the 23 is slightly alarming.

Cronin's injured so I'd say Strauss isn't playing to protect him for next week

molloyjh wrote: »

Healy Byrne Moore
    Toner Triggs
    SOB Heaslip Leavy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid Te'o
    Ringrose Kearney Kirchner

I'm seriously excited about this game now. It won't be a gimme by any stretch of the imagination but I reckon Leo is managing this just right. Remember we don't have a break until the 6 Nations so we need to keep everyone fresh and up to speed.

You mean for Europe? The fact we can't predict Leo's starting team is great, but I think youre getting a bit excited. I don't see Ringrose leap frogging Irelands starting winger, leinster's captain, a British and Irish lion and Fergus mcfadden just yet.

I also reckon reddan will start, along with Strauss and McCarthy.

Leavy ahead of VDF, Ruddock, Ryan and Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ringrose at 13. Noice.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    You mean for Europe? The fact we can't predict Leo's starting team is great, but I think youre getting a bit excited. I don't see Ringrose leap frogging Irelands starting winger, leinster's captain, a British and Irish lion and Fergus mcfadden just yet.

I also reckon reddan will start, along with Strauss and McCarthy.

Leavy ahead of VDF, Ruddock, Ryan and Murphy?

No I mean the XV that will end the game tomorrow (injuries permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think that team will struggle - lots of changed units.

Ah I get you. I'd like to see R Kearney tried on the wing. He runs straight hard, actually picks decent lines but can't create for anyone else. I know Isa used to shift, but my one negative observation is he looks a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sangre wrote: »
    I think that team will struggle smash it - lots of changedtotal beast jock units.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Great mix of experience and potential in that line-up. I think it'll be far from smooth sailing, but I'm happy to see it.

I'd say that ringrose is ahead of McFadden on current form and if he keeps it up he'll be starting for ireland in about 2 years (maybe a crazy claim, but I've been very impressed).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Seriously excited to see Ringrose at 13. Thats his natural position and hope he takes his chance. He looks the real deal.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sorry lads, a half back pairing of boss and madigan doesnt fill me with much confidence.
    we're going to need our forward pack trucking along and im not sure we'd get it with that front 5. Our back row is solid and we should get some joy there, but boss will have to be at his fastest with clean ball in order for mads to get the line working.

if we see boss getting involved in rucks in the first 30 minutes thats going to be a bad indicator for the rest of the game.

if we can keep parity for the first 50, our bench is more than capable of getting us beyond the 8 point spread.
    but if we're behind by that margin at 50... id be very concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Would have loved to see T'eo start at 12 alongside Ringrose, that could be a seriously dangerous partnership. Mind you with Luke injured, I'd say they want to risk T'eo as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Seriously excited to see Ringrose at 13. Thats his natural position and hope he takes his chance. He looks the real deal.

It's great to see him getting a start at 13 alright. One slight concern I have in these situations is that people immediately expect a huge amount.

13 is now one of the hardest position on the pitch, with huge demands defensively, and major expectations in attack. A young 13's first couple of seasons are as much about finding their way into the higher level, rather than making an immediate impact. Hopefully he can make a break or two & catch peoples eye, but if he just ends up being solid I'd be happy enough with that for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    It's great to see him getting a start at 13 alright. One slight concern I have in these situations is that people immediately expect a huge amount.

13 is now one of the hardest position on the pitch, with huge demands defensively, and major expectations in attack. A young 13's first couple of seasons are as much about finding their way into the higher level, rather than making an immediate impact. Hopefully he can make a break or two & catch peoples eye, but if he just ends up being solid I'd be happy enough with that for now.

I wonder if they're looking at Ringrose to replace Te'o next season, if he doesn't re sign. Or maybe that's still a bit soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement