Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hagz wrote: »
    Why not?

because it takea an NIQ spot. As someone else says, sign him aa a coach if you really want him in the environment.

For me, it says as much about where we are at with regard to being able to compete with French clubs. And it's only going to get worse. Though it's hard to see Munster and Ulster sign big name players with us screaming out for a top drawer 9, you'd have thought outmr finances would be in relatively better shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He's going to be 33 and not have played for two years. That speaks for itself.

He was still head and shoulders above the likes of McFadden and Dave Kearney in his final season, he isn't coming over a broken man like Mils Muliaina to Connacht, and players can still do a job at 33. Tommy Bowe's new contract will see him finish his career with Ulster at 34. Shane Williams was still producing the magic with Wales at 34.

Of course he'll be a shadow of his former self, but if Nacewa is coming back to Leinster and he still wants to play, it's worth taking a shot imo. It's a far less riskier move than Connacht bringing in Mils Muliaina. Nacewa is familiar with the players and the club, he's not coming over with a recurring injury problem. If Leinster aren't in the market for a top drawer NIQ signing, then this makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Noone here knows what it speaks to. Noone has any clue what standard he's at currently, so the whole discussion could end up being proved completely pointless if he comes back and ends up being the best player in our backline during the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Thought Nacewa looked a man in swift decline in his last season, a 2 year playing contract sounds like madness, fair enough we might be fairly happy with our lot going into next season and not need the NIQ spot but who's to say what will happen the following season. Don't want to end up in a situation like Ulster where their stuck with Williams for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

You just entirely ignored my question. Where is this international level 13 player who we should have signed? Were there any available that we could afford or are you being entirely unrealistic?

Payne would be a good fit at Leinster as a 13........:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Nacewa is a desperation signing. The last few NIE signings by the Leinster Branch have been duds, so they are looking for someone who will be a popular and familiar choice. He was great for Leinster, but he was in a noticeable decline in his final season and he has retired for two years now.

Does anyone have any idea what will happen with Revenue and tax-back if Nacewa returns to rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where has this "noticeable decline in his last season" come from. Nonsense if you ask me. He was only 31 so why would he be in decline

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hrmm don't agree with it being a desperation signing, but if he's coming over as a potential coach and it works out it could be a tidy bit of business. I imagine he'll be cheap enough.

Synode wrote: »
    Where has this "noticeable decline in his last season" come from. Nonsense if you ask me. He was only 31 so why would he be in decline

He had a poor start but imo that was his arm. He definitely was slowing up. We absolutely flogged him here. He didn't have much gas left in the end.

His class and skill was absolutely there though, he was on flying form in the business end of the season... that just made it harder to see him go!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Synode wrote:

Because he didn't perform to the standards he previously did. I don't think there can be much argument on that. He was nowhere near as influential on the pitch.

Whether that was

• Advertisement

I'm a big Nacewa fan but I think it's a bit of a step back. As a playing / coaching role fair enough but what has he done as a coach? Leo hasn't appeared to have done well for us in a similar guise moving through from player to coach. As a player, I don't mind having the backup during the world cup window but if the two year aspect is accurate it's an odd one albeit perhaps to provide some continuity whilst internationals are away.

I also know that Nacewa was considered a leader within the squad and certainly had a voice amongst the players. We've sorely lacked leadership during the international windows so no doubt this is coming into it the decision.

Synode wrote:

Because he didn't perform to the standards he previously did. I don't think there can be much argument on that. He was nowhere near as influential on the pitch.

Whether that was due to injury or loss of form, I don't know but he certainly didnt hit the same levels.

Certainly, certainly was not a notable decline in his last season.

Considering that he still had a season to go, and his retirement was announced very late in the season, and was a shock, I'm not sure where the re-write is coming from?

That aside, I can't see him coming back now, 2 years later, completely 'out of playing' since then, as anything but a gamble.

edit: Here's his Leinster profile. Note he was given an extension for 2 years at the start of the season.
    From 11/12 wrote:
    Nacewa scored two magnificent tries in the PRO12 final at home to Ospreys, which the Blues narrowly lost. The New Zealander has signed a contract extension with the province until the end of the 2013/14 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Synode wrote: »

He spent the season dealing with injury issues in relation to his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Victor Matfield had a couple of years out and is back playing for SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I see Habana is back in the Toulon squad for this weekend #therecouldbetroubleahead

colster wrote: »

Loads of Locks last longer into their career - Thorn just retired at 40.

Backs retire more often early to mid 30s as you really start to lose your pace at that stage. Actually - not so much flat pace, acceleration is what goes and that's way more important. As an aside from this, your endurance with many years mileage on the clock can tend to be quite robust into your late 30s as a contrast.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

colster wrote: »

Different position altogether though. Doesn't matter if a lock is as slow as a cart horse.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I see Habana is back in the Toulon squad for this weekend #therecouldbetroubleahead

TBH Habana is the least of our troubles. He's a fantastic finisher but if we allow him space it's our own fault.

It's guys like Smith and Giteau who can create their own space I'm more worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Mick Kearney just announced...as expected

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13465.php#.VSZRGtzF_94

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Full Toulon 23 for this weekend is:

CHIOCCI, FRESIA, BURDEN, ORIOLI, CASTROGIOVANNI, CHILACHAVA, TAOFIFENUA, MIKAUTADZE, SUTA, BRUNI, S.ARMITAGE, FERNANDEZ LOBBE, GORGODZE.

TILLOUS-BORDE, ESCANDE, MICHALAK, HABANA, WULF, GITEAU, BASTAREAUD, D.ARMITAGE, HALFPENNY, TUISOVA.

So they're resting the entire front row that started against Wasps, plus Botha, Williams and Masoe. In the backs, Mitchell, Mermoz and Michalak get a rest so Giteau, Habana and Halfpenny can get some game time.

Ridiculous depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    TBH Habana is the least of our troubles. He's a fantastic finisher but if we allow him space it's our own fault.

It's guys like Smith and Giteau who can create their own space I'm more worried about.

I'm sure Giteau will be looking at what Ford did to us a couple of times and thinking he could have a field day. After Saturday that's what I'm most worried about anyway...

Boss and Reddan both renewed, as is Kirchner. No more signings then?

Renewals (* denotes full international):

Isaac Boss*
    Bryan Byrne
    Ed Byrne
    Jack Conan
    Sean Cronin*
    Tom Denton
    Darragh Fanning
    Luke Fitzgerald*
    Rob Kearney*
    Zane Kirchner*
    Dan Leavy
    Cathal Marsh
    Fergus McFadden*
    Luke McGrath
    Mick McGrath
    Kevin McLaughlin*
    Martin Moore*
    Jordi Murphy*
    Colm O'Shea
    Eoin Reddan*
    Noel Reid*
    Mike Ross*
    Dominic Ryan*
    Richardt Strauss*
    Devin Toner*
    James Tracy
    Josh Van Der Flier

New Signings:

Royce Burke-Flynn
    Ian Hirst
    Mick Kearney
    Jonathan Sexton*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

D'Arcy's retired then?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

LostArt wrote: »
    D'Arcy's retired then?

He renewed his contract last season. Was it a 1 year deal, or does he still have time to run on it?

Notable absence of D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

scott1974 wrote: »
    Mick Kearney just announced...as expected

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13465.php#.VSZRGtzF_94

Reddan, Boss and Kirchner renewed but nothing on Darce. I thought he was out of contract at the end of this season? A few lads stepping up to senior contracts as well. The Byrne brothers, VDF, Leavy and Marsh.

D'Arcy out of contract at the end of this season:
    http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/gordon-darcys-beard-makes-a-comebackand-its-here-to-stay-30276862.html - this was May 2014
    “I’ve signed one year on my contract, but I can’t play forever - as much as I’d love to,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite surprised at the Boss renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No SH coming in I presume

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement