Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Dom Ryan's poor start to the season continues, awful play.

Silly but other than that he's started very well imo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Even with a shaved head Madigan has managed to get a stupid hair cut.

I retract this statement. It was just the way the light was catching it....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Dom Ryan again...

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions but RYAN OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

seriously. brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

dominic ryan...

and people are surprised he hasnt got more ireland caps. My god he is barely good enough for leinster let alone ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Fairly disjointed, predictable half from Leinster. Hopefully they can shake things up second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

There is a shift in the strengths of pro12 teams. Get with the program and show teams respect by fielding a strong team. Otherwise struggle to qualify for champions rugby next year. Your choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bradders90 wrote: »
    dominic ryan...

and people are surprised he hasnt got more ireland caps. My god he is barely good enough for leinster let alone ireland

Really? I didn't think anyone thought he should have more Ireland caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not a great performance for the same old reasons but it could be a very important result by the time the end of the season swings around. I'm very happy with the result even if I remain unconvinced by certain players.

To get through the first 7 games with 5 wins is a great outcome. Gives us a lot to build on now as we reintegrate the internationals.

James Tracy very good. Dom Ryan needs to be dropped for Leavy or play SOB at 6 with JvDF at 7.

I'd much much prefer Marsh/McGrath to ever having to see Boss/Madigan ever again, but I'm sure it's not the end of it.

Looking ahead to next week there are some interesting calls to make, it'll be interesting to see just how much we're going to reward some strong performances in the opening exchanges of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Looking ahead to next week there are some interesting calls to make, it'll be interesting to see just how much we're going to reward some strong performances in the opening exchanges of the season.

I'd say (and hope) that from the young lads, Reid, L. McGrath, VDF & Ringrose are involved next week. Especially Reid, his partnership with Te'o has been great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I think Dominic Ryan has got to go. There's far better, younger players and he's taken up valuable space.

Reid is 26 so he's not exactly a young lad anymore by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm totally baffled by the decision not to bring Luke McGrath on. I can only assume it's because he's not going to have any part in the team next week and they're just trying to get Boss to play into some kind of form. Boss looks so laborious these days I'm not sure how much longer he can hold onto the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My pick for the wasps game (presuming rk is injured and Teo is fit);

15. Nacewa
    14. McFadden
    13. Teo
    12. Reid
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. SOB
    06. Ruddock
    05. Toner
    04. McCarthy
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. McGrath

16. Dundon
    17. Healy
    18. Moore
    19. Triggs
    20. Murphy / Conan
    21. McGrath
    22. Madigan
    23. Kirchner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

For the last 10 mins Sexton was stuck out on wing right beside touch line, he was carrying an injury, he walked straight off after match, any news on that? He did not look happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm totally baffled by the decision not to bring Luke McGrath on. I can only assume it's because he's not going to have any part in the team next week and they're just trying to get Boss to play into some kind of form. Boss looks so laborious these days I'm not sure how much longer he can hold onto the jersey.

I hope you are right but every time I think Boss is finally done he just keeps coming back into the team. He's a good squad player who has served us well but I don't want to see him in the 22 for big games anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

.ak wrote: »

15. Nacewa
    14. McFadden
    13. Teo
    12. Reid
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. SOB
    06. Ruddock
    05. Toner
    04. McCarthy
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. McGrath

16. Dundon
    17. Healy
    18. Moore
    19. Triggs
    20. Murphy / Conan
    21. McGrath
    22. Madigan
    23. Kirchner

Is it not time to go for Madser as a 12 and really get him settled and optimised there ? I wouldnt hold one incident against him that could have cost us the gqame this evening, but is Reid really a better 12 than Mads could be given a continues spell there. (There is no point holding Mads back as backup outhalf now given that his place in the Ireland squad for the 6N window is cemented/nailed-on/cast iron/carved in stone).

Cullen said after the match that Kearney has a slight tweak in his hamstring and he'll be assessed over the weekend. Didn't see anything about any other injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So what was the story with Luke McGrath not getting of the bench tonight? Very disappointing really, MOC-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is it not time to go for Madser as a 12 and really get him settled and optimised there ? I wouldnt hold one incident against him that could have cost us the gqame this evening, but is Reid really a better 12 than Mads could be given a continues spell there. (There is no point holding Mads back as backup outhalf now given that his place in the Ireland squad for the 6N window is cemented/nailed-on/cast iron/carved in stone).

I think that ship has sailed to be honest. Madigan is great at what he does, provide solid cover from the bench at 2 positions. His versatility is a blessing and a curse for him. On the other hand Reid has the potential to be a super centre, and he needs to keep playing. Him and Teo are unquestionably our best midfield pairing in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good things don't happen when Ian Madigan is on the field. Yeah I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

flouncer wrote: »
    There is a shift in the strengths of pro12 teams. Get with the program and show teams respect by fielding a strong team. Otherwise struggle to qualify for champions rugby next year. Your choice.

Sorry what was that!? A reactionary nonsense post delivered prematurely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

15. Nacewa
    14. McFadden
    13. Teo
    12. Reid
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. SOB
    06. Ruddock
    05. Toner
    04. McCarthy
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. McGrath

16. Dundon
    17. Healy
    18. Moore
    19. Triggs
    20. Murphy / Conan
    21. McGrath
    22. Madigan
    23. Kirchner

Is Dave Kearney injured ?
    Any word on T'eo. He was being treated before he went off so looks like an injury but couldn't see what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

scott1974 wrote: »
    Is Dave Kearney injured ?
    Any word on T'eo. He was being treated before he went off so looks like an injury but couldn't see what it was.

It was just cramp from what I saw so not sure why he came off. Hopefully he was just being looked after ahead of next week.

I'd say Teo came off to allow Madigan to stay on with Sexton and take the kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Not a great performance for the same old reasons but it could be a very important result by the time the end of the season swings around. I'm very happy with the result even if I remain unconvinced by certain players.

To get through the first 7 games with 5 wins is a great outcome. Gives us a lot to build on now as we reintegrate the internationals.

James Tracy very good. Dom Ryan needs to be dropped for Leavy or play SOB at 6 with JvDF at 7.

I'd much much prefer Marsh/McGrath to ever having to see Boss/Madigan ever again, but I'm sure it's not the end of it.

Tracy was impressive, lineouts much better with a few lost but he had 2-3 turnovers. Looks a really good prospect.

Madigan's inability to read a game had us going backwards in the first half when the odd kick for territory might have been wiser. Boss serving him the ball so slowly meant madigan or the guy receiving a pass from madigan also got a scarlets player at the same time.

Dom Ryan has gone completely out of form and was responsible for the try they got at the start. Was lucky not to be carded as he also collapsed the maul straight after the penalty he gave away for slapping the scarlets player. Jake Ball got carded for collapsing the 40 metre maul leinster had.

I dont think leinster will get out of the euro group but i wouldnt be too bothered about it this season. Think we have a right go at the pro 12 though and would expect a playoff at least to get better seeding next year in europe. Its going to be very competitive but 22 points after 7 games when we had so many players missing is a good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Reid's a better 12, it's that simple. Himself and Teo are a really good unit, no point in messing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Reid's a better 12, it's that simple. Himself and Teo are a really good unit, no point in messing with that.

Yep

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cullen said after the match that Kearney has a slight tweak in his hamstring and he'll be assessed over the weekend. Didn't see anything about any other injuries.

Kearney was limping as he walked off at the end of the game , be very surprising if he's ok for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Madigan really hasn't done that well at 12 whenever I've seen him whereas Reid has picked up a nice bit of momentum and is looking very handy going forward now both in his distribution and his ability to threaten the line. He's also pretty handy hitting rucks offensively even if he had a bad miss yesterday on Cubby Davies (although many have).

The only area I'd rate Madigan higher than Reid would be defense because Madigan has been quite good at that playing 12 in recent times.

Sounds like Rob will be missing. My team would be:

McGrath, Strauss, Moore, McCarthy, Toner, Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, DKearney, Reid, Te'o, McFadden, Nacewa;
    Cronin, Healy, Ross, Molony, Murphy, McGrath, Marsh, Ringrose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement