Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Slightly less dramatic, but I think Dundon is also gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Full Toulon 23 for this weekend is:

CHIOCCI, FRESIA, BURDEN, ORIOLI, CASTROGIOVANNI, CHILACHAVA, TAOFIFENUA, MIKAUTADZE, SUTA, BRUNI, S.ARMITAGE, FERNANDEZ LOBBE, GORGODZE.

TILLOUS-BORDE, ESCANDE, MICHALAK, HABANA, WULF, GITEAU, BASTAREAUD, D.ARMITAGE, HALFPENNY, TUISOVA.

So they're resting the entire front row that started against Wasps, plus Botha, Williams and Masoe. In the backs, Mitchell, Mermoz and Michalak get a rest so Giteau, Habana and Halfpenny can get some game time.

Ridiculous depth.

Guess:
    Chiocci, Orioli, Chilachava, Taofifenua, Suta, Gorgodze, Fernandez Lobbe, Armitage
    Tillous-Borde, Giteau, Habana, Wulf, Bastareaud, Armitage, Halfpenny

Bench: Burden, Fresia, Castro, Mikautadze, Bruni, Escande, Michalak, Tuisova

No SH coming in I presume

All three 9s getting renewed would suggest not...a big name at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The signing of Hirst and RBF are obvious attempts to increase depth in the front row which could be sorely tested with Healy McGrath Ross and Moore as certainties for the rwc squad, Bent as a probably and Furlong as a possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

The signing of Hirst and RBF are obvious attempts to increase depth in the front row which could be sorely tested with Healy McGrath Ross and Moore as certainties for the rwc squad, Bent as a probably and Furlong as a possible.

With six front rowers gone for the world cup-we'll need it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Slightly less dramatic, but I think Dundon is also gone.

Yeah good spot. I've always liked the guy too.

Apparently Darce has yet to decide whether he wants to stay on or not, but will likely get a 1 year contract if he wants it.

Nacewa is a desperation signing. The last few NIE signings by the Leinster Branch have been duds, so they are looking for someone who will be a popular and familiar choice. He was great for Leinster, but he was in a noticeable decline in his final season and he has retired for two years now.

Does anyone have any idea what will happen with Revenue and tax-back if Nacewa returns to rugby?

Kirchner hasn't been a dud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

No SH coming in I presume

Stringer to cover to world cup could still happen

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah good spot. I've always liked the guy too.

I only noticed because James Tracy got renewed and I thought to myself, "why?"

On a similar note, no mention of Sean McCarthy. I presume he's moving to a central contract and will be announced separately.

Nacewa is a desperation signing. The last few NIE signings by the Leinster Branch have been duds, so they are looking for someone who will be a popular and familiar choice. He was great for Leinster, but he was in a noticeable decline in his final season and he has retired for two years now.

Does anyone have any idea what will happen with Revenue and tax-back if Nacewa returns to rugby?
    It's only a desperation signing if they are paying him silly money. Every province has signed NIE duds recently, so this is nothing unique to Leinster.

I don't understand why they are retaining Kirchner when he isn't first choice and struggles to make a full strength 23.

• Advertisement

On a similar note, no mention of Sean McCarthy. I presume he's moving to a central contract and will be announced separately.

Toulon are signing him to a 5 year deal, €600k per season.

Speaking of McCarthys, where is Mike MacCarthy in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Speaking of McCarthys, where is Mike MacCarthy in that list?

contract up in 2016 I think

LostArt wrote: »
    contract up in 2016 I think

Thanks. For a minute I thought Mick Kearney might be replacing him.

So Ben Marshall is being let go? I don't see him in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I love the way everyone is scouring the list to see "who's missing, who's missing"

Where's BOD? don't tell me he's gone!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I never thought D'Arcy would be near the World Cup squad, but if he is finishing up for good in May, they need to be dealing with it more appropriately than they are.

Why announce in alphabetical order? Are they trying to wreck our heads? :mad:

Thanks. For a minute I thought Mick Kearney might be replacing him.

So Ben Marshall is being let go? I don't see him in the list.

Yeah, looks like Marshall is gone, also Brendan Macken won't be coming back once his loan at Gloucester is up...

Ben Marshall going is a bit of a headscratcher.

Why announce in alphabetical order? Are they trying to wreck our heads? :mad:

Props:
    Ed Byrne, Martin Moore, Mike Ross, Royce Burke-Flynn, Ian Hirst

Hookers:
    Bryan Byrne, Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss, James Tracy

Second row:
    Tom Denton, Mick Kearney, Devin Toner

Back row:
    Jack Conan, Dan Leavy, Jordi Murphy, Kevin McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan, Josh van der Flier

Half-backs:
    Isaac Boss, Luke McGrath, Eoin Reddan, Cathal Marsh, Jonathan Sexton

Centres:
    Colm O'Shea, Noel Reid

Outside backs:
    Darragh Fanning, Luke Fitzgerald, Rob Kearney, Zane Kirchner, Fergus McFadden, Mick McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Thats better !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Props:
    Ed Byrne, Martin Moore, Mike Ross, Royce Burke-Flynn, Ian Hirst

Hookers:
    Bryan Byrne, Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss, James Tracy

Second row:
    Tom Denton, Mick Kearney, Devin Toner

Back row:
    Jack Conan, Dan Leavy, Jordi Murphy, Kevin McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan, Josh van der Flier

Half-backs:
    Isaac Boss, Luke McGrath, Eoin Reddan, Cathal Marsh, Jonathan Sexton

Centres:
    Colm O'Shea, Noel Reid

Outside backs:
    Darragh Fanning, Luke Fitzgerald, Rob Kearney, Zane Kirchner, Fergus McFadden, Mick McGrath

Surprised to see O'Shea and to an extent Marsh there as they dont seem to be favoured at all. Might be because of the RWC

Not sure if McLaughlin staying is the right call on his part, and from Leinster's POV re-signing both of Ryan and McLaughlin seems odd when Leavy and VdF are coming from the academy, Murphy and Conan were obvious renewals, and obviously SOB, Heaslip and Ruddock are the starting 3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quite surprised at the Boss renewal.

I reckon Boss will outlast Reddan. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Reddan call it a day at the end of the RWC.

Boss has a style of play that lends itself to continuing longer. It's not as high a tempo and is more based on being a canny sod and working in and around the ruck.

Yeah, looks like Marshall is gone, also Brendan Macken won't be coming back once his loan at Gloucester is up...

Could you envisage Macken coming to Munster in the summer? I think it might make sense to give him a year in a World Cup season. Dineen is out of contract too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

SCM gone as well?

So, likely/possible departures then:

Coghlan-Murray
    D'Arcy
    Dundon
    Gopperth (confirmed)
    Jennings (confirmed)
    Macken
    Marshall
    McCarthy

From this year's "Year 3" of the Academy, there is no mention of Tadhg Beirne or Gavin Thornbury either.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCarthy

Is that Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'm not sure how to you could class any of Leinsters recent NIQ signings as duds, Sean McCarthy excepted but even if he turned out to be a good signing he'd have made a negligible impact on the side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

shuffol wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to you could class any of Leinsters recent NIQ signings as duds, Sean McCarthy excepted but even if he turned out to be a good signing he'd have made a negligible impact on the side anyway.

Sean McCarthy isn't an NIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

This could well have been posted earlier but anyways....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4Enxigc-o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Their graphics just remind me of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement