Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sJQbq90.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Madigan tries any fancy crap today and leaves space for the Wasps backline to exploit, we're toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If Madigan tries any fancy crap today and leaves space for the Wasps backline to exploit, we're toast.

To be fair, Madigan can be good at FB, but he's not our best available FB on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with niq players? Does Sykes count? He's only here on a 3 month contract isn't he? Is Kirchners contract up at the end of this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hogandrew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the situation is with niq players? Does Sykes count? He's only here on a 3 month contract isn't he? Is Kirchners contract up at the end of this season?

Sykes isnt here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Sykes isnt here?

Sorry Triggs!

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Prediction: Leinster are not going to win the Heineken Cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

awec wrote: »
    Prediction: Leinster are not going to win the Heineken Cup this year.

A good shot at the champion's cup though.. :pac:

case885 wrote: »
    A good shot at the champion's cup though.. :pac:

They probably have a decent shot at winning a few tickets to go watch the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Whoever signed off on giving Kirchner another year after two years of complete dross needs to take a long hard look at themselves, Leinsters Winston Bogarde

• Advertisement

#MOCIN

#MOCIN

I was thinking about that on the way home. If Leinster had played like that under MOC there would have been uproar.

That was probably worse than anything served up the last two seasons.

Whoever signed off on giving Kirchner another year after two years of complete dross needs to take a long hard look at themselves, Leinsters Winston Bogarde

He might have been better today if he had played FB - that's his best position, but he seldom gets to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was thinking about that on the way home. If Leinster had played like that under MOC there would have been uproar.

I was more sympathetic to him than most, and I remain so, but I don't think we would have been a huge amount better today with him involved. His biggest issue, in my opinion, was a lack of talent at half back and lack of leadership in the backline. Even though we've brought Sexton back he's only just arrived and injuries meant we still lacked that leadership. I think we probably would have seen a similar result under him today and people would have been on their usual witch-hunt. At least with Leo in situ we'll be spared a lot of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I won't say it was absolutely the worst game from Leinster in the last decade, but I'm struggling to think of one. Getting nilled by Munster in the RDS, or losing to the Dragons ... this was worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

17, with alot of tries, or 18 points is what the pool runner up teams where getting through to the knock outs with last season.

So that's

3 wins + 5 bps, ideally 3 tbps in there to get the tries up, to get 17
    or
    4 wins + 3 bps to get 18

I can't see us winning in France but Toulon usually drop a game away from home in the pools so there is a chance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

I won't say it was absolutely the worst game from Leinster in the last decade, but I'm struggling to think of one. Getting nilled by Munster in the RDS, or losing to the Dragons ... this was worse.

Treviso home in the lashing rain last year was a pretty poisonous display.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    17, with alot of tries, or 18 points is what the pool runner up teams where getting through to the knock outs with last season.

So that's

3 wins + 5 bps, ideally 3 tbps in there to get the tries up, to get 17
    or
    4 wins + 3 bps to get 18

I can't see us winning in France but Toulon usually drop a game away from home in the pools so there is a chance there.

If we can't beat Toulon we'll need to beat Bath home and away.

Bath had their game cancelled this week which makes things considerably more difficult for us as well. They're a better side than the side we played today and they'll be fresher and at home.

The dream isn't over, but I think it might be nearly time to temporarily suspend it until next season...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was a funny game as they only got in our 22 maybe 3 times and came back with 3 tries, though one of the tries was from outside the 22.

We seemed to play most of the game in their half but couldn't break them down, only a few half breaks and things like that.

What was worrying was the scrum as they were well on top in that and were where sloppy at times too with the ball.

If you looked at the stats alone you'd never guess we lost so bad, 60% poession, 67% territory and then all the other stats are pretty close bar the set piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The dream isn't over, but I think it might be nearly time to temporarily suspend it until next season...

I know its early days , may need to start looking at top coach, Leo was always a gamble , we need another Schmidt or Cheika , I think

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was a funny game as they only got in our 22 maybe 3 times and came back with 3 tries, though one of the tries was from outside the 22.

We seemed to play most of the game in their half but couldn't break them down, only a few half breaks and things like that.

What was worrying was the scrum as they were well on top in that and were where sloppy at times too with the ball.

If you looked at the stats alone you'd never guess we lost so bad, 60% poession, 67% territory and then all the other stats are pretty close bar the set piece.

Two of their tries were opportunistic. But they took their chances well. We were close to the line a number of times in the first half, but couldn't for the life of us get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

thebaz wrote: »
    I know its early days , may need to start looking at top coach, Leo was always a gamble , we need another Schmidt or Cheika , I think

Think MO'C was sacrificed already for poor performances so Leo to be hung out as well you say.
    Might be near the time when someone should question the 20 or so Irish squad members.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Check out social media. There's plenty of outrage there. It's still only 1 game though in fairness so it's too early to be throwing the toys out of the pram.

I am seriously concerned about Sexton's whole demeanour today. Is he injured, unwell, just below par or what? Has he had one too many concussions?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

I think we need another forwards coach on the ticket to help with technical stuff. Feek's contract is up with Ireland after this season. He'd be perfect to improve the scrum and breakdown work. Would he be of more use to Irish rugby in the Leinster set-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

No top coach wanted the gig. They looked at an ageing team shorn of the likes of BOD, a modest budget and a horrendous fixture list in Europe and said no thanks.

Give the guy time.

Rebuilding is not an overnight thing. Fellas like Healy and Sexton well off the pace. Ross finished and second row very weak. Needs to bring a few guys through quickly and two or three key buys. Then we can judge him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 silver rocket

vienne86 wrote: »
    I am seriously concerned about Sexton's whole demeanour today. Is he injured, unwell, just below par or what? Has he had one too many concussions?

yep he hasn't been right for a while

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JPCN1 wrote: »

No top coach wanted the gig. They looked at an ageing team shorn of the likes of BOD, a modest budget and a horrendous fixture list in Europe and said no thanks.

Give the guy time.

Rebuilding is not an overnight thing. Fellas like Healy and Sexton well off the pace. Ross finished and second row very weak. Needs to bring a few guys through quickly and two or three key buys. Then we can judge him.

Do you know who else was interviewed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Do you know who else was interviewed?

I would love to know this. I do firmly believe that there can't have been too much interest in the job if Cullen was actually the best option available to them but it would still be very interesting to know if anyone else was interviewed or even approached about it.

• Advertisement

Next week's performance in now huge. It's huge for Cullen, for Heaslip as a captain, and for all out experienced players who should have a full six days of having their backsides kicked. I know guys are trying to get used to playing together, but that does not excuse the weak tackles we saw today - Wasps were able to offload and run past us for fun. Not good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement