Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Peter Smith appointed as head of the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

phog wrote: »
    Peter Smith appointed as head of the academy.

Interesting appointment... I reckon he'll do a good job. I wonder if this means he is gone from Rock and Marys considering the normal rule. Marys wouldn't exactly have the political power to block it but rock might.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Interesting appointment... I reckon he'll do a good job. I wonder if this means he is gone from Rock and Marys considering the normal rule. Marys wouldn't exactly have the political power to block it but rock might.

Gone from both Mary's & Rock by the time he starts in January. No one will block it as he has accepted the job and likely informed both of his intentions and that he would have to resign from his other positions in advance of starting with Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Natural progression by all accounts a fantastic coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So do you go with McFadden again at 13 or Ringrose?

Personally my stance hasn't changed. I'd go with Ringrose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hagz wrote: »

Why on earth would your stance have changed.

Ringrose was on for ten minutes and immediately was the greatest threat on the pitch. At this stage I'd pretty much drop any player outside of Sexton if it meant fitting him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Absolutely it should be Ringrose. Play Fitzgerald inside him if he's fit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Ringinator has to start.

awec wrote: »
    The Ringinator has to start.

It's the only Ring and Rose Awec wants this week, and that's saying something.

Leinster saying on FB that the "week too soon" boys are all in line to start.

(Kearney, Isa, Teo, Fitz)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14260.php#.Vk36wXbhDRY

Good news in the backs, not so much up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

T'eo has the Cup haircut... he means business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Gone from both Mary's & Rock by the time he starts in January. No one will block it as he has accepted the job and likely informed both of his intentions and that he would have to resign from his other positions in advance of starting with Leinster

I'm sure he did but considering Ruddock was allowed 'multi-task' I wasn't sure if the same might happen again.

Personally I think it's a great move for all involved. Great for domestic coaches to see a pathway as well. Couldn't think of a better appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

People suggesting Ringrose starts - what to do with Big Ben, if he's also fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'd go with Ringrose, but it won't make much difference if Reid is inside either of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Neil3030 wrote: »

If Te'o is fit he starts at 13 outside Reid, McFadden and DK on the wings with Ringrose on the bench.

T'eo 12, Ringrose 13. I am kind of amazed people seem to universally see T'eo as a 13. I figured that was just us accommodating Mads and Reid.

errlloyd wrote: »
    T'eo 12, Ringrose 13. I am kind of amazed people seem to universally see T'eo as a 13. I figured that was just us accommodating Mads and Reid.

Except that he has played exclusively at 13 when partaking in the 15-man code?

Except that he has played exclusively at 13 when partaking in the 15-man code?

If barely a year ago he was able to make the switch between two completely different codes of rugby, I think a year later he might be able to handle standing 8 metres closer to the outhalf.

Probably not fair on him beginning that in the European Cup, but long term I see him as a 12.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A few weeks ago people, myself included, were talking about how important it was to keep Te'o at Leinster beyond this season. With Ringrose making all the right noises, so far, is it still as important to keep Te'o? Is it more important that he can/can't play 12, as suggested above? If Ringrose is marked as future Ireland star by all involved surely the IRFU aren't going to encourage a deal for Te'o if it means Ringrose's development is hindered. Or would the fact that Te'o could still technically play for Ireland give the IRFU a completely different attitude on this?

• Advertisement

deleted as already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

errlloyd wrote: »
    If barely a year ago he was able to make the switch between two completely different codes of rugby, I think a year later he might be able to handle standing 8 metres closer to the outhalf.

Probably not fair on him beginning that in the European Cup, but long term I see him as a 12.

This isn't the first time that this has come up. As someone who has played both positions I found them to be very different and it took me a while to adapt - of course I was a long way from a professional rugby player but you typically have slightly less time at 12 unless you're taking on the 2nd 5/8th role and sitting back a little and it take a game or two to adjust to that.

I can't think of anyone better than Mike Ford to prepare a team to take advantage of any weaknesses that T'eo might have so I'd probably leave him at 13 and think about slotting Madigan back in at 12 for this weekend - yes I know that he was far from a success here last year but he did at least defend to a reasonable standard and he and T'eo have a bit of a partnership going as a result.

Te'o is a fantastic player and crucially important for us. He has to play and he has to be retained next season if at all possible.

I'm more keen on Reid than most people here, but he's our best 12 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

molloyjh wrote: »
    Quick lads, it's spreading. Leg it!

The ignore function works best when others don't quote 😉

Sure, over time, T'eo could excel at 12, but not this weekend. So assuming it will either be Reid or Luke at 12, who would people rather see start at 13 - GR or BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

I dont see the wisdom in letting Teo leave, it'd be a huge hole that no one in the squad or academy can fill based on any sort of evidence. If we sign a replacement we are getting into the unknown quantity scenario and it begs the question of why we would sign a league player, develop him and then let him leave as he comes good(and is a step closer to being IQ and freeing up a place in the squad for another NIQ). Not resigning Teo makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Is bent injured at the moment? Or will he travel as an extra man for the bath game.

Sure, over time, T'eo could excel at 12, but not this weekend. So assuming it will either be Reid or Luke at 12, who would people rather see start at 13 - GR or BT?

Ben Teo is a more useful player than Garry Ringrose right now.

I don't really get why people don't think he's a 12. I think he's a very similar build and has a very skillset to a lot of 12s knocking around these days. (Fofanna, SBW, D'Allende, Roberts), in terms of being a gainline winning, offloading, ten protecting: twelve. As opposed to Reid who is the Giteau, mold. Either is fine.

I think he should absolutely be kept, I think having 3 class players for 2 positions should be what we aim for, and I think he should get used to playing either centre position.

case885 wrote: »
    Is bent injured at the moment? Or will he travel as an extra man for the bath game.

The latter, he was training during the week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Reid can't possibly start again after last weekend. I'd take Ringrose and Teo easily, or Fitz if he's fit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement