Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

I truly sympathize with leinster issues. it brings me back to the henshaw issue. Do you really need to integrate another international player? Having watched the bath and wasps game its getting simply unfair that leinster are being stung year on year. it isnt a natural process to reintroduce players on such a huge level.

so i suggest maybe a balance where all provinces take the hit? personally i think ringrose is shockingly good. but because you are only a youngster you are not qualified to play for leinster? it makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

hogandrew wrote: »
    I'd be at least expecting a final if out of Europe.

On a different note, looking at the compromised rules, are the provinces missing a trick not poaching gaa players? I know cheika offered Brendan Murphy a contract while in charge but surely there are 1-2 minor/u 16 footballers each year with enough interest and potential to give it a try each year. Adam Byrne didn't start until under 16 from what I know and wasn't it college before jannick jauzion started playing rugby?

Speaking of which I see Conor Nash is training with the Australian squad for the international rules game. I'd hate to see him lost to Aussie rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

aimee1 wrote: »
    aiden o'shea is a big guy, he would have done well in rugby, was thinking that myself watching it

Ye he was the one I looked at too. He looks like he could carry a lot more weight too. There are also guys like diarmuid Connelly, Joe canning, Michael Murphy, tj Reid etc who look the same and Darran o Sullivan, Jack McCaffrey etc. who have seriously electric pace. The Australians obviously see it as a big chance to get new players and I don't see it as so much of a change to players lives as moving to Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Realistically that's us out of EEC so I'd like to see Cullen throw caution to the wind with selections for the 4 remaining games and use them to really see what we have coming through. Give the likes of Furlong, Luke McGrath, Noel Reid, JVDF and Ringrose the opportunity they need to prove themselves. No point in being conservative and still not knowing how high the ceiling is for these guys next September. The Pro 12 is grand but they have to be tested against the best and that opposition comes in the EEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

If things keep going the way they are you may not have European premiership rugby next year. So don't be too complacent

• Advertisement

flouncer wrote: »
    If things keep going the way they are you may not have European premiership rugby next year. So don't be too complacent

We had to do without >17 players during the world cup and we're in the top 4 of the Pro 12.

I know you're only jesting but I would be amazed if we aren't involved in the knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hagz wrote: »
    We had to do without >17 players during the world cup and we're in the top 4 of the Pro 12.

I know you're only jesting but I would be amazed if we aren't involved in the knockouts.
    I would too, but we have had our fair share of easy enough matches so far. I think the match against Ulster next weekend will be a right bare knuckle affair - both teams hurting badly.

Hayden Triggs had a decent game I thought. When I read we signed him I wasn't optimistic but he could be a gem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah I thought he was fairly noticeable around the park and certainly when he went off you could see Bath licking their lips abit. If he'd have stayed on I'm not sure they'd have kicked to the corner in the play leading up to their try.

Hayden Triggs had a decent game I thought. When I read we signed him I wasn't optimistic but he could be a gem.

Yes, he mad a good impact last week, and was missed when he went off this week. Good signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Triggs looked good in SR towards the end of the season last year, happy enough about this.

Called it :D

Called it :D

Good call! Good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭blackdog1

He missed a lot of tackles at the start of the match I'm still not a fan. To think we let Douglas go to be replaced by triggs annoys me. Douglas was a proper dog tighthead lock and all he needed was a good pre season that he didn't get last year. Munster signed a big lump in Chisholm,Gloucester signed thrush and we sign a mobile loosehead lock in triggs.

Oh and for the people who say he's 6 foot 7 http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mobile/branch/14176.php

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Oh and for the people who say he's 6 foot 7 http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mobile/branch/14176.php

He's listed as the same height as Douglas, just considerably lighter (15kg or so).

Douglas didn't want to be at Leinster, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    He's listed as the same height as Douglas, just considerably lighter (15kg or so).

Douglas didn't want to be at Leinster, plain and simple.

Fans in the terraces got closer to most rucks than Douglas did. He had a great world cup, but showed very little of that form or intent with leinster.

As I recall people were happy enough to let him go, but more pissed off at the timing of his announcement, ie being too late to sign someone new pre world cup, and after the great prospect of Marshall had already moved on to get gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

As I recall people were happy enough to let him go, but more pissed off at the timing of his announcement, ie being too late to sign someone new pre world cup, and after the great prospect of Marshall had already moved on to get gametime.

Mick Kearney was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

case885 wrote: »
    Mick Kearney was signed.

Which turned out unfortunate as he's out until February with a toe injury without stepping foot on the pitch this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Fans in the terraces got closer to most rucks than Douglas did. He had a great world cup, but showed very little of that form or intent with leinster.

I think a lot of people realised that we hadn't seen Douglas even close to what he was capable of, but most reasonable people accepted that if a guy doesn't want to stay, then the discussion is over.

Marshall was/is not a great prospect at all I'm afraid. He was a squad member in waiting, a guy who'd do a job every now and again in the Pro12, nothing I saw from him really suggested otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Quinn Roux should have been our saviour, we seem to be a place where locks come to die and tall sixes prosper in their stead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Marshall was/is not a great prospect at all I'm afraid. He was a squad member in waiting, a guy who'd do a job every now and again in the Pro12, nothing I saw from him really suggested otherwise.

Time will tell about Marshall but his performances towards the end of last season were demanding inclusion in the big games, not just pro 12, he acquitted himself quite well against Toulon and was certainly far better for us than Douglas ever was. Maybe he will never make international standard but I would rate him higher than a pro 12 player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    Time will tell about Marshall but his performances towards the end of last season were demanding inclusion in the big games, not just pro 12, he acquitted himself quite well against Toulon and was certainly far better for us than Douglas ever was. Maybe he will never make international standard but I would rate him higher than a pro 12 player.

He played 10 minutes, during extra time when everyone else was wrecked against Toulon. I hope he makes it at connacht, but it's injury that's his problem.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    He missed a lot of tackles at the start of the match I'm still not a fan.

ESPN says he didn't miss a single tackle. Interesting.

Quinn Roux should have been our saviour, we seem to be a place where locks come to die and tall sixes prosper in their stead.

Quinn Roux was barely 21 when he arrived. That was very young for a lock, plus he got a shoulder injury early on, so I think we had overly high expectations. He is going well for Connacht now, and I feel he will line out for Ireland some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

WarZ wrote: »
    Leinster were disgraceful, we may as well throw the likes of Conan, JVDF, McGrath etc. in now and see if any of them can reach the standard that a team of european contenders needs to be at.

Right now Leinster's team of hyped players are letting the jersey down. I think the likes of JVDF would play out of their skins if given a chance. Unlike Church, Fitzy, Kearndog etc.

That is NOT a troll, the players are acting like celebrities rather than rugby players and its affecting their performances.

Said a few days before the game it's time to throw in the younger lads and was lambasted. Interesting to see people starting to agree.

You're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

WarZ wrote: »
    Said a few days before the game it's time to throw in the younger lads and was lambasted. Interesting to see people starting to agree.

Well aren't you wonderful. Such foresight we've simply never seen before. Well except for all those other posts about the young lads that should have been involved, a selection of which is below. But sure don't let that stop you from patting yourself on the back.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Would have rathered Molony on the bench to cover lock
    molloyjh wrote: »
    If Moore can do the job in the scrum it may be worth considering making him first choice this season....I'd have started VDF myself....I'd like to have seen Ringrose at 23 personally
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    No Ringrose at all?

That's a shocker really.
    Just don't understand the selection decisions around Ringrose and Boss. Wasting opportunities to develop real talent. When Te'o gets injured again we'll complain that Ringrose hasn't had elite experience. If Reddan or Boss lose form we'll complain McGrath doesn't have elite experience. We can't keep kicking the midfield/halfback depth can down the road.
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Disappointed that Boss is there at all and that Ringrose is missing.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    If?...

Ignoring development, I struggle to see how McGrath simply isn't just better than them now to be honest.
    Synode wrote: »
    No Ringrose is disappointing. He was our best player when he came on last week. I'd have him instead of Kirchner
    Ringrose should be at least on the bench (I'd be starting him on one of the wings), it's a bad call.
    Ringrose should be involved in some shape whether its in the XV or on the bench. Luke McGrath needs to be getting more 60+ games. Ross Molony is more than capable of playing at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe we actually played quite well last week afterall.............

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

We're as bad as Toulon apparently!

Rumour on reddit that Quinns are pursuing Madigan for next season...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rumour on reddit that Quinns are pursuing Madigan for next season...!

Nick Evans is 35 so he must be nearing the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement