Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hagz wrote: »
    The ESPN stats are actually reliable enough despite what some people would have you believe on here. Having played a lot of fantasy rugby, it's amazing how often the ESPN person comes out with the same stats the fantasy sites do despite not watching the game....

Are you joking? Most of the fantasy rugby leagues base their stats on the ESPN. Especially Fantasy Rugger.

(I am still bitter about an assist they missed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Meh. I'm confident enough that if ESPN's stats list Triggs as having not missed a tackle, then it's highly unlikely he missed 'a lot of tackles'. I remember when JustinDee posted on here (dark days) he would often inform of how off the mark the stats were yet whenever I had the opportunity to validate them myself they checked out. It's really not that hard to get right. Any sort of disparity is marginal. In fact, if the disparity were significant and consistent then Fantasy sites could never get away with using them as you say they do.

Meh. I'm confident enough that if ESPN's stats list Triggs as having not missed a tackle, then it's highly unlikely he missed 'a lot of tackles'. I remember when JustinDee posted on here (dark days) he would often inform of how off the mark the stats were yet whenever I had the opportunity to validate them myself they checked out. It's really not that hard to get right. Any sort of disparity is marginal. In fact, if the disparity were significant and consistent then Fantasy sites could never get away with using them as you say they do.

If we're debating Triggs' tackling than all I'll say for sure is that it was absolute crap in his first two games and the ESPN backs me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Irish Derby next with both teams struggling for any sort of form. Maybe we should give our struggling players one more game to redeem themselves? Some of these lads were pivotal to our greatest ever successes. It's only right they be given another chance. But if it were me I'd start both Mc Grath's and VdF, but keep the Fitz/Te'o centre pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I remember those days. You had to be very careful when saying anything that could be construed as being critical to the IRFU if memory serves....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Robbie Henshaw not ruling out a move to Leinster next season.

https://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.305.358/59819/blog_list/

Synode wrote: »

If he was asked about moving to Munster or Ulster I'd have imagined he would say the same thing, it's just he was specifically asked about Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If he was asked about moving to Munster or Ulster I'd have imagined he would say the same thing, it's just he was specifically asked about Leinster.

There was some brilliant leading questions by Ivan Yeates in that interview alright

Synode wrote: »

I kinda hope he doesn't. Leinster are already just a gym and a match fitness treadmill for most of the Irish team. I think we should be trying to spread the internationals a little better.

I'd take Henshaw in a heartbeat. But it's a waste of time and resources if we brought him in to play 13. Henshaw and Ringrose is a tasty partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

errlloyd wrote: »
    I kinda hope he doesn't. Leinster are already just a gym and a match fitness treadmill for most of the Irish team. I think we should be trying to spread the internationals a little better.

Good point, but would be hard not to be excited if it was announced that he was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

A henshaw Teo partnership at 12 and 13 would be as good as any in the world, serious ballast.

I could see Henshaw coming to Leinster if we lost T'eo perhaps. I'm not sure otherwise as we have a couple of options at centre currently and coming through.

That said, Leinster really needs as much support as it can get from the IRFU given we are facilitating most of our first choice squad being taken by the national team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

A henshaw Teo partnership at 12 and 13 would be as good as any in the world, serious ballast.

Don't think so. They're too similar. Who'd bring the passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Don't think so. They're too similar. Who'd bring the passing?

The ten:), two big offloading targets in the center of the park, what more could you ask for, Sexton tee's them up, the centers walk over them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The last thing Leinster need is yet another Irish international in their best XV. I like Henshaw a lot but we need first choice guys who are going to be around all season at this stage. If Henshaw replaces Te'o then Leinster will be without at least 12 of their best XV and at least 18 of their best 23 for chunks of the season. That's pure and utter madness. If I'm to be totally honest I'm getting a little fed up of the other provinces not pulling their weight in that regard. Ulster will hopefully start providing a few backs in the next season or so, but that's about it.

The ten:), two big offloading targets in the center of the park, what more could you ask for, Sexton tee's them up, the centers walk over them

Or a ball playing 15 the likes of La Roux, Beale or the way Nelson plays in ulster.

Shame we have the opposite in Kearney.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Or a ball playing 15 the likes of La Roux, Beale or the way Nelson plays in ulster.

Shame we have the opposite in Kearney.

With some outhalf experience, Nacewa would be equipped to do that. However, you'd still want at least one of your centres to be a very good passer. NZ generally play with creative players at 10, 13 and 15. I think we should look to follow suit. Picking two centres primarily for their bosh factor would be like something English teams or Warren Gatland might do

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

With some outhalf experience, Nacewa would be equipped to do that. However, you'd still want at least one of your centres to be a very good passer. NZ generally play with creative players at 10, 13 and 15. I think we should look to follow suit. Picking two centres primarily for their bosh factor would be like something English teams or Warren Gatland might do

Henshaw is a good passer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You don't need strong passing from your midfield when you have Sexton at 10. That's always been one of his big strengths, his pace to get outside and get the ball back in his hands the 2nd time to move it wider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If Te'o sticks around that is. I think his contract is up at the end of the year so there's a possibility he might return home which is a shame as I think he's really starting to improve.

You don't need strong passing from your midfield when you have Sexton at 10. That's always been one of his big strengths, his pace to get outside and get the ball back in his hands the 2nd time to move it wider.

Gimme a break. You're saying Leinster don't need good passers in midfield?! Did you ever watch O'Driscoll play?

molloyjh wrote: »
    The last thing Leinster need is yet another Irish international in their best XV. I like Henshaw a lot but we need first choice guys who are going to be around all season at this stage. If Henshaw replaces Te'o then Leinster will be without at least 12 of their best XV and at least 18 of their best 23 for chunks of the season. That's pure and utter madness. If I'm to be totally honest I'm getting a little fed up of the other provinces not pulling their weight in that regard. Ulster will hopefully start providing a few backs in the next season or so, but that's about it.

I said it recently but we could see almost no Munster players in the starting 15 come the 6N. It's a bit of a shambles down south given the conveyor belt of great forwards they used to produce.

BOD wasn't that good a passer to be fair. Great offloader and very quick hands, but he wasn't a great distributor. D'arcy wasn't a great passer either. His greatest strengths were his quick feet, step and leg drive. I'm not saying they were bad passers, but it wasn't a key facet of their games. They definitely had their moments when their passing let them down. In fact it's a testament to how talented they were that they could be so good without being top notch distributors in a position that demanded it.

Gimme a break. You're saying Leinster don't need good passers in midfield?! Did you ever watch O'Driscoll play?

That's a horrendously stupid question obviously! But I'll indulge.

O'Driscoll's short range passing and passing out of contact was excellent but he actually threw a few howlers when the distances opened up. We played very narrow at times with him in midfield outside Contepomi for example. The "Sexton loop" was when we were most dangerous going wide, the same type of play was what made the 2009 Lions midfield (Roberts/BOD) so potent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I said it recently but we could see almost no Munster players in the starting 15 come the 6N. It's a bit of a shambles down south given the conveyor belt of great forwards they used to produce.

Or, y'know, a lot of them are/have been injured.

Or, y'know, maybe St. Joe erred in a couple of selections by going with what he knew instead of rewarding form

O'Driscoll had the instincts of a great passer. Occasionally the execution was off but he had all the skills and the understanding to choose the right kind of pass at the right time.

Henshaw is a good but not remarkable passer, and Te'o doesn't have much of a passing game to speak of. A Henshaw, Te'o partnership would be one dimensional and ultimately less potent than a balanced partnership containing Ringrose at 13 and one of the aforementioned others at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Ryan, Murray, earls being the definites at the moment and stander, zebo having good chances of starting berths also. 5/15 ain't too shabby.

case885 wrote: »
    Ryan, Murray, earls being the definites at the moment and stander, zebo having good chances of starting berths also. 5/15 ain't too shabby.

I think the only definite there is Murray. Just because Ryan is up against Toner/Henderson and Earls could easilly be on the bench given the strength of our back 3.

Either way the number of Munster starters probably won't be relevant to the real point, which is how many Leinster players are in the Irish squad, which will continue to be disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Yea Ryan probably bench alright. I see no reason for earls dropping out he'll hopefully be back on the wing, probably our best winger at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement