Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Luke Fitzgerald. Delighted to have signed on for another 2 years with @leinsterrugby ,big thanks to @IKONTALENT crew for making process so easy #excitingtime

Some players posted length of their renewals

Lovely. Hopefully his injury troubles are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One year deal for Nacewa according to Thornley.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

If Nacewa is half the player he was I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

jaansu wrote: »
    If Nacewa is half the player he was I'll be happy.

His last season he played a lot iirc and was carrying injuries too. He is a very natural player so maybe the break will have done him some good, I dont think he will flop. Think he will be a good signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Is Teo eligible to qualify for Ireland as a project player? If he doesn't qualify, Leinster can't bring in any more NIE players. If he does qualify, Nacewa will likely come in as the final NIE to make it 3+1.
    Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he already qualifies for England under the granny rule or some such reason? If international rugby is his ambition, it is a shorter route than hanging around here for a few years and hoping it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    That makes more sense.
    Why keep Kirchner as well then? Leinster don't need two NIE back three players. Having both on the books and not getting in a quality scrum-half is a poor decision. With 'starter' quality players like Fitzgerald, McFadden, Kearney x2 and young players like Kelleher coming through...

Why keep Kirchner as well then? Leinster don't need two NIE back three players. Having both on the books and not getting in a quality scrum-half is a poor decision. With 'starter' quality players like Fitzgerald, McFadden, Kearney x2 and young players like Kelleher coming through...

I think we'll need all the players we can get. Isa can cover basically anywhere between 10 to 15 during the RWC and we'll likely be without Kirchner.

EDIT: Also there's a good chance we just couldn't sign a scrumhalf. I'm still hopeful tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eponymous wrote: »
    Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he already qualifies for England under the granny rule or some such reason? If international rugby is his ambition, it is a shorter route than hanging around here for a few years and hoping it works out.

England, Samoa, Australia and New Zealand he has his choice in terms of international rugby

I think we'll need all the players we can get. Isa can cover basically anywhere between 10 to 15 during the RWC and we'll likely be without Kirchner.

EDIT: Also there's a good chance we just couldn't sign a scrumhalf. I'm still hopeful tho.
    You're not going to be without Kirchner. I can't see getting into the Bok squad if he can't make the Leinster starting XV.

If Munster can sign Saili and Ulster can sign Piutau (albeit year in advance), Leinster can surely sign a 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They won't be signing a 9 now with Reddan, Boss and McGrath all signed up for next season. Even with the two boys at the RWC, I'd expect Nick McCarthy to make a match day squad or three. He seems to be quite highly rated. At most, we're looking at a short terms signing.

I heard we did approach Hart but he didn't want to leave Grenoble at this stage.

Eponymous wrote: »

He has another year with Leinster and if then he moves to England to play in the AP with a view to playing for England it's still going to take him time to break into the squad.

Honestly he is a few years away from International rugby one way or another so if he is good enough we may have a bit of a chance of retaining him if he stays with Leinster.

He also has less competition in Ireland than in England for the most part although that can change.

Entirely possible he could go back to the SH if he turns out to be a star so really all we can do is wait and see and try to anchor him to Ireland somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    They won't be signing a 9 now with Reddan, Boss and McGrath all signed up for next season. Even with the two boys at the RWC, I'd expect Nick McCarthy to make a match day squad or three. He seems to be quite highly rated. At most, we're looking at a short terms signing.

I heard we did approach Hart but he didn't want to leave Grenoble at this stage.

Hart would be a wonderful signing, but fair enough if he wants to stay put. Nacewa for a year - that's grand. I'm still surprised he want to come back, but it'll be great to have him.

You're not going to be without Kirchner. I can't see getting into the Bok squad if he can't make the Leinster starting XV.

If Munster can sign Saili and Ulster can sign Piutau (albeit year in advance), Leinster can surely sign a 9.

With the RWC just over the channel he could very well be used.

What I meant about not signing a 9 is it might be hard to find someone for next season in that position... also our budget must be shot with Sexton coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We have to back McGrath at 9, he shows great promise. Give him his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm not sure what the big deal is over scrum-half. Our perceived need to sign one was based on the assumption that either Reddan or Boss (or both) would retire, but that's no longer the case. For the four or five matches that will happen during the RWC, McGrath and McCarthy will cover us just fine. Unless someone top-drawer was available, it would be pretty pointless and it would be an awful slap in the chops for McGrath.

What Leinster desperately need is leadership and creativity in the backline; even if Nacewa has lost a few yards of pace (and I'm sure he has), his personality and brain will still be intact. If it's a one-year contract on a sort of trial basis, then I'm very much in favour of it.

I'm not sure what the big deal is over scrum-half. Our perceived need to sign one was based on the assumption that either Reddan or Boss (or both) would retire, but that's no longer the case. For the four or five matches that will happen during the RWC, McGrath and McCarthy will cover us just fine. Unless someone top-drawer was available, it would be pretty pointless and it would be an awful slap in the chops for McGrath.

What Leinster desperately need is leadership and creativity in the backline; even if Nacewa has lost a few yards of pace (and I'm sure he has), his personality and brain will still be intact. If it's a one-year contract on a sort of trial basis, then I'm very much in favour of it.
    It's not just whether they would retire or not. Will they offer enough quality to the side at 35?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so is stringer as a RWC joker a non runner at this stage?

It's not just whether they would retire or not. Will they offer enough quality to the side at 35?

I think Boss is playing really well at the moment. Reddan, not so much, but he's been picking up all sorts of niggly injuries so I'd be optimistic that if he gets over that, he can play to the level required.

I'd guess that they're both just on one-year extensions so hopefully by September 2016, one of McGrath, Cooney or McCarthy will be ready to take the reins or if not, we'll have recruited from abroad.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Boss is playing really well at the moment. Reddan, not so much, but he's been picking up all sorts of niggly injuries so I'd be optimistic that if he gets over that, he can play to the level required.

I'd guess that they're both just on one-year extensions so hopefully by September 2016, one of McGrath, Cooney or McCarthy will be ready to take the reins or if not, we'll have recruited from abroad.

Boss has had a lot more bad games than good games this season.

Reddan has been far from brilliant.

I reckon Leinster will really regret not getting a new scrumhalf.

• Advertisement

I reckon we just couldn't get one. I don't thin it'll be regret, but disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Cooney has already signed for Connacht next year. http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13147.php#.VSeeQ71wbqA

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I reckon we just couldn't get one. I don't thin it'll be regret, but disappointment.

Unless Reddan and Boss turn around their downward spiral (and despite Boss's few good games he is still on the way out) then 9 will be a position of considerable weakness for Leinster.

Leinster not signing a scrumhalf is like Ulster not signing a backrow.

awec wrote: »
    Boss has had a lot more bad games than good games this season.

Reddan has been far from brilliant.

I reckon Leinster will really regret not getting a new scrumhalf.

Boss is playing well right now and has been since Christmas, Reddan will come good.

If it turns out that we passed on Fourie du Preez or Aaron Smith, then I'll be annoyed. If our options were in the Jimmy Cowan/Brendan Leonard ballpark, then I'll be pretty happy with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Larbre34 wrote: »
    We have to back McGrath at 9, he shows great promise. Give him his head.

he has a lot to proove , got chances this year and really has not progressed , which is a shame , next year he will be backup again - his pass is not reliable , which is a serious liability for a 9.

Isa is a great guy and great player , just wonder will it be a season too many

Bazzo wrote: »
    Cooney has already signed for Connacht next year. http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13147.php#.VSeeQ71wbqA

And as per my post, by September 2016 his Connacht contract will be up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BOD and denis hickey to be on off the ball this evening discussing the up and coming semi final and whether or not leinster are in decline

If Kockott becomes available, offer him a fat contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Boss is playing well right now and has been since Christmas, Reddan will come good.

If it turns out that we passed on Fourie du Preez or Aaron Smith, then I'll be annoyed. If our options were in the Jimmy Cowan/Brendan Leonard ballpark, then I'll be pretty happy with what we have.

Reddan will be 35 next season. There will come a point where him "coming good" again just isn't realistic or likely. I dont know if we're there yet but even if he does start to play better Im not sure exactly how "good" his best level will be, hes got a lot of miles on the clock and his style relies a lot on speed

• Advertisement

I fear it will be exactly how Connacht fans regret how they didn't sign a 10 last summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement