Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you sit at either side of the ground you'll have to make sure you dress suitably though. Wax coats, cowboy hats and a great pair of brogues or you'll look out of place and uncouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is ticketb@stard the best place to get tickets for the New Years Day game with Connacht? Herself is fed up sitting in the "freezing" North Stand so she wants decent seats this time. In fairness, we all had borderline hypothermia after last year's game sitting in the open...

For the North or south stands ticket master is best. If you want a grand stand ticket or decent Anglesea stand ticket then the season ticket exchange is best. As it's during the holidays though you may not have any joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

.ak wrote: »
    For me a poor tackler won't make good hits, ever. You either can tackle or can't. Reid can tackle but is a poor defender

ROG was a good defender but poor tackler to offer a reverse example. He never shirked away from defending a channel despite he couldn't tackle.

That's a strange definition. There's a YouTube video of ROG nailing Sebastian Chabal, he's still not a good tackler. I've no doubt Reid has made some decent hits in his time but he's still serious issues in that area.

If a guy makes 9 awful tackles and then one great one he's still not a good tackler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »
    For the North or south stands ticket master is best. If you want a grand stand ticket or decent Anglesea stand ticket then the season ticket exchange is best. As it's during the holidays though you may not have any joy.

I am sure there will be some STH's not able to attend - there are bound to be a few tickets selling on the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well you have to factor in that he's only just back, learning a new set of systems and doesn't have an in form Reddan on his inside and Darce and Drico on his outside too in fairness. Plus the pack hasn't been providing the same kind of platform. He hasn't been at his best at all, but to say he's been s**t is harsh. He was poor against Wasps, a bit better against Bath and good against Ulster.
    The old saying of ''form is temporary but class is permanent'' should be applied to JS here, in my view. He is obviously working his way through a very difficult patch and last time out he kept himself very busy in defence with good tackles and did a good shift at ruck time. Almost as if he knew that was all he felt comfortable with for now. Clearly his loss of form has eaten away at his confidence to manage the game and that is what he is working on to regain his swagger. Not easy but I believe he will get there. Taking a break for a week is good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Will Leinster will be allowed a rake of signings for next season? The team is struggling at an incredible rate. There is not one player who could be deemed to be playing world class. For a team with european aspirations that isnt good enough. Shame to see the regression of Healy, Sexton, Kearney, Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stick it in a hot chocolate and she'll enjoy it. Honestly.

It's like thermite for the soul.

You've reminded me of so many ski trips. Mmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

WarZ wrote:
    Will Leinster will be allowed a rake of signings for next season? The team is struggling at an incredible rate. There is not one player who could be deemed to be playing world class. For a team with european aspirations that isnt good enough. Shame to see the regression of Healy, Sexton, Kearney, Fitzgerald

Who do you think should be signed?

WarZ wrote: »

Would you go off with that nonsense. We've had one truly bad game at home to wasps. Otherwise were fine in the league and did well away to bath.

We've one of the best academies in Europe, we don't need anything bar maybe a 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

We need a 12. I'd rather we sign a 12 than a 9.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »

:eek:

Leinster absolutely need a 9.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eh yeah, we have no one at 9 behind McGrath (or ahead of McGrath depending how he ultimately turns out this season) for next year. It's an absolute priority

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What??

We have Reid, Luke & Madigan all capeable of doing a good job there, we could look at T'eo for 12 in the long term with Ringrose coming through. At the moment we have three senior scrumhalves, two of which are going (should already be) out to pasture, how do you figure we need a 12 more than a 9?

stephen_n wrote: »
    What??

We have Reid, Luke & Madigan all capeable of doing a good job there, we could look at T'eo for 12 in the long term with Ringrose coming through. At the moment we have three senior scrumhalves, two of which are going (should already be) out to pasture, how do you figure we need a 12 more than a 9?

Well there's been nothing official about Reddan and Boss hanging up their boots at the end of this season. Recent comments from Reddan would even suggest he is keen to keep playing. Reddan is playing poorly now but the word form exists for a reason.

Reid, Luke and Madigan are capable of playing 12 but they're not great options. When you consider all the noise around Te'o leaving, the midfield looks vulnerable. A centre needs to be signed at some stage and it might as well be sooner rather than later. There's nothing coming through the academy with Brewer, Daly and Crosbie looking destined for 'A' careers.

Would I rather Luke/Madigan/Reid starting at 12 with a shiny new scrum-half? Or would I rather Reddan/McGrath starting at 9 with a shiny new centre?
    I'd rather the latter personally.

I fully expect Leinster to sign in both positions anyway so it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chrstoper

Robbie Henshaw and John Cooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

WarZ wrote: »

Seriously, I know I've been taking the piss for the last while on these posts, but just change the record already. We get it. You don't rate Irish teams or players at the moment. Everything about Irish rugby (with the exception of Ringrose) is awful. You really don't need to keep repeating it over and over. There are people here who want to have genuine and rational discussions.

I fully expect Leinster to sign in both positions anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah I'd be hopeful of that myself.

Is there anything to be said for a dog of a lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Seriously, I know I've been taking the piss for the last while on these posts, but just change the record already. We get it. You don't rate Irish teams or players at the moment. Everything about Irish rugby (with the exception of Ringrose) is awful. You really don't need to keep repeating it over and over. There are people here who want to have genuine and rational discussions.
    You should move over to the Connacht thread then where flouncer nearly has a fifth provincial team ready to go. We are what we are molloyjh. We are Irish and spend our lives pulling the piss. And we will include ringrose (under scrutiny). :-) on our up and coming 5th provincial team, currently called simply the midlanders but who knows where this will go :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well there's been nothing official about Reddan and Boss hanging up their boots at the end of this season. Recent comments from Reddan would even suggest he is keen to keep playing. Reddan is playing poorly now but the word form exists for a reason.

Ah here - you and I both know the chances are Reddan is on a permanent and irreversible slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Podge_irl wrote:
    Ah here - you and I both know the chances are Reddan is on a permanent and irreversible slide.

First cyborg rugby player maybe?

• Advertisement

Reddan would be lucky to be third choice 9 at Leinster next year. Boss is useless now.

9 is going to cost Leinster this season, never mind if nobody is signed for next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    Reddan would be lucky to be third choice 9 at Leinster next year. Boss is useless now.

9 is going to cost Leinster this season, never mind if nobody is signed for next.

I'd say Cooney will head back, he's been good for the last season and pushed Marmion hard for the starting spot at Connacht. Himself and McGrath should comfortably be ahead of Reddan and Boss next season the way their form has slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'll be happy enough with 9 if Cooney comes back, if Te'o stays 12 is fine too I think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think Boss is as bad as people say.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Yea he's worse.

CatFromHue wrote: »

He's definitely been better than Reddan. He did fairly well off the bench against Glasgow too. The game away to Scarlets he was dire, but I'm willing to give him a pass there as he was obviously babysitting and filling in for Byrne that day. He's still painfully slow more often than not though which doesn't suit how we are trying to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Are there any decent scrum halfs out there to be had at the moment? Who'd we like to see signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

TJ Perenara may fancy a move if he thinks he has fallen behind TKB now. Maybe not the most consistent/reliable but hugely talented with a fantastic support play and eye for the try-line. I dont see this happening though, I think he's very proud to be an AB and will want to push back into the 23.

There are a couple of decent young SA scrummies atm too. Hougaard fell out of favour but could be worth a punt (despite the few shockers he had end of last year). Also whats the name of the Lions SH, the guy with the mad blond hair?

Hidalgo-Clyne could be alright too.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Way too early to come to a conclusion on that for me. Players experience bad spells of form and when that happens to the elder statesmen the connection is made with age very quickly. He's only logged in 160 minutes so far this season. I'll re-evaluate when we get to the business end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

TJ Perenara may fancy a move if he thinks he has fallen behind TKB now. Maybe not the most consistent/reliable but hugely talented with a fantastic support play and eye for the try-line. I dont see this happening though, I think he's very proud to be an AB and will want to push back into the 23.

There are a couple of decent young SA scrummies atm too. Hougaard fell out of favour but could be worth a punt (despite the few shockers he had end of last year). Also whats the name of the Lions SH, the guy with the mad blond hair?

Hidalgo-Clyne could be alright too.

I'd say we've no chance of getting TJP...he's too close to the AB setup.

Yeah I was talking about Hougaard earlier in the year but he went off to Japan - it appears he snubbed some pretty generous offers from English clubs so we probably wouldn't have the bank to get him. In any case he's with SA 7s now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement