Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's just not true. Whether people want to accept it or not, as of October 2015 Joe rated these two as the second and third best scrum halves in the country. They were always going to be on the books.

Because we have a huge queue of top class scrum halves coming through to push them? They were there for experience not based on form. Reddan has played quite well for Ireland, both in the 6n and the build up to the RWC, but I can't remember his last good game for Leinster. The fact they're 2nd and 4th best scrum halves in the country, since by your metric, Madigan is the third best, doesn't say much about the state of Irish scrum halves. They were both great players for Leinster and in Reddans case for Ireland, but are both way past that now and most certainly will be next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We had Cooney and we let him go, we have McGrath, we have last season's U20s captain coming up behind. How many more scrum halves do people expect to come through?

It was obvious from a long way out that both guys would be in the RWC squad. That meant they needed contracts which meant they were going to be on the books at Leinster this season regardless of who was coming through.

That Reddan and Boss were the best options, well that's a reflection on the alternatives who I agree are shyte, but it doesn't change anything for Leinster.

Ah come on. You can't on one hand say that Reddan and Boss needed new contracts because of the lack of talent and then also talk Nick McCarthy as well. Reddan and Boss both got extensions at the end of the 2013/14 season. McCarthy had only just turned 19 so even if you could count him now you sure as hell couldn't count him then. So let's cross him out there straight away.

The 13/14 season was a season where Cooney got less than half the game time he had gotten in the previous season. Now I don't like the idea of blaming MOC for everything but his management of the SH position was very poor. There is no way that Cooney regressed that much in a season and I don't understand why he wasn't selected more, especially with ageing incumbents.

McGrath was only 21 at the end of the 13/14 season himself and was actually coming along nicely, with a dominant showing in the B&I Final that year. I spoke a lot last season about how he should have been getting more game time you'll remember. But like Cooney the season before MOC wanted the experienced guys regardless of where that left Leinster in the longer term.

That Reddan and Boss were the only alternatives for Ireland (with Boss being behind a guy who has never played SH at senior level before) is a reflection of a number of things. It's a reflection of the quality of the guys getting regular game time, but also a reflection on the lack of game time given to up and coming lads. Could Cooney have forced his way into the reckoning? It's quite possible he might have gotten ahead of Boss. But we'll never really know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Cue boards meltdown about exclusion of Ringrose..

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Zane Kirchner
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Ian Madigan
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jordi Murphy

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Garry Ringrose

I'm happy enough with that side, pretty much as predicted really considering who needs game, who needs rest ahead of Toulon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I like the look of that backrow.

Front row should be very solid too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Heavy rain and strong wind is predicted for Glasgow tomorrow so this ain't going to be a pretty one.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah come on. You can't on one hand say that Reddan and Boss needed new contracts because of the lack of talent

Sorry molloyjh, missed this one last night.

The only reason I'm saying that Boss and Reddan needed new contracts is because they were always, absolutely, 100% going to be in the mix for the World Cup; that Boss missed out on initial selection is irrelevant. That meant they needed to be contracted for this season which meant they were always going to be on the books this season, whether MOC or Leo wanted them or not. This is the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Decent enough mix and match side I guess. Halfbacks are pretty poor. No injuries would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Decent squad all things considered, hopefully Murphy can find his form again

Not really sure Kirchner deserves selection again, is McFadden injured? I thought he was rested last week.

Glasgow team, very strong. Russell only on the bench with Weir at 10, Pyrgos is injured so that's something, but can't see past a home win here.

15. Stuart Hogg
    14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
    13. Alex Dunbar
    12. Peter Horne
    11. Tommy Seymour
    10. Duncan Weir
    9. Mike Blair

1. Ryan Grant
    2. James Malcolm
    3. Sila Puafisi
    4. Leone Nakarawa
    5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
    6. Josh Strauss
    7. Simone Favaro
    8. Adam Ashe

Replacements
    16. Shalva Mamukashvili
    17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
    18. Zander Fagerson
    19. Tim Swinson
    20. Rob Harley
    21. Ali Price
    22. Finn Russell
    23. Sean Lamont

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that glasgow midfield and back three........ :( very strong

hopefully the weather will be our friend, but agreed, cant see anything but a home win.

Cue boards meltdown about exclusion of Ringrose..

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Zane Kirchner
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Dave Kearney
    10. Ian Madigan
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Tom Denton
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jordi Murphy

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Garry Ringrose

I'm happy enough with that side, pretty much as predicted really considering who needs game, who needs rest ahead of Toulon etc.

I really hope Strauss is ok to play. The guy has had a few head knocks already season. I'd also have Molony ahead of Denton. The back row picks itself because of injuries and the player welfare. I'm genuinely worried about Mads at 10. Personally I'd have preferred to see Marsh at 10 and Mads at 12. We've been alternating our centre partnership something desperate the last few weeks and I would rather we started to settle on one at this point. Got to think Ferg is injured too by that.

Also, what's the story with Ross. That's 2 weeks in a row he's been completely omitted. Has he been dropped? We've already seen Bent disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I'd be delighted with a LBP for this.

I think Kirchner did well enough against Ulster to earn another shot. I also think Luke played so well against Ulster that he should be left on the, erm, left.

No idea re: McFadden. It's frustrating that every other team can tell you who's injured but Leinster don't.

I think Kirchner did well enough against Ulster to earn another shot. I also think Luke played so well against Ulster that he should be left on the, erm, left.

No idea re: McFadden. It's frustrating that every other team can tell you who's injured but Leinster don't.

Yeah Kirchner was grand, no issue with him there. It's just that Ferg has been missing for a few weeks now.

I agree that Luke should stay on the wing. I actually think Mads did a decent job at 12 last week and am starting to think that's where he should stay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yeah Kirchner was grand, no issue with him there. It's just that Ferg has been missing for a few weeks now.

I agree that Luke should stay on the wing. I actually think Mads did a decent job at 12 last week and am starting to think that's where he should stay for now.

Yeah Ferg and Mike Ross are notable absentees. I'm concerned about Ferg and just curious about Ross.

It's not that Kirchner did much wrong, he just doesn't do much and the way he carries into contact is ridiculous, he stands up way too much, killing any chance of clean ball. It's amazing he gets away with doing that as a test player. Mind you with Ferg injured (guessing) we have very little option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

There is going to be a pitch inspection at Glasgow today, so there's a chance it might be postponed. Not sure if that suits us ahead of next week's game if it were to be called off.

scott1974 wrote: »
    There is going to be a pitch inspection at Glasgow today, so there's a chance it might be postponed. Not sure if that suits us ahead of next week's game if it were to be called off.

Is there a pitch inspection in Scotstoun? I know there's one in Celtic Park. A few people I know that were meant to be heading over this morning had their flights cancelled and the team couldn't land in Glasgow yesterday (tried a few times before diverting to Edinburgh - Ben must have been bricking it!). It is meant to be truly awful over there at the moment.

Is there a pitch inspection in Scotstoun? I know there's one in Celtic Park. A few people I know that were meant to be heading over this morning had their flights cancelled and the team couldn't land in Glasgow yesterday (tried a few times before diverting to Edinburgh - Ben must have been bricking it!). It is meant to be truly awful over there at the moment.

Yeah Glasgow tweeted this earlier. Al4

• Advertisement

Scotstoun, it's from Glasgow Warrior's twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Match won't go ahead today, via Glasgow's twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Whats rugby come to, soft af.

Yep. Its definitely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Presumably it's off cuz the team can't get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    Presumably it's off cuz the team can't get there?
    No off due to waterlogged pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Match won't go ahead today, via Glasgow's twitter.

Postponed until tomorrow or to be rescheduled for a completely new weekend or as a midweek fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    Postponed until tomorrow or to be rescheduled for a completely new weekend or as a midweek fixture?
    That wont have been decided yet. Unlikely to be this weekend I imagine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

wowy wrote: »

I'll be playing in worse this afternoon lol, I dont know is anyone here watches Brian Mujati's youtube videos, he calls out this very softness that has pervaded modern rugby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement