Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

stephen_n wrote: »
    The one that paid the most?

No money is not everything......

I think Madigan would rather to play in dry weather so he has better chance in France

Bordeaux as a city would have a little bit more appeal than Bristol....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My recollection (hazy though it may be) is that Bordeaux isn't actually that nice a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Anyone else think JVDF may have missed the chance to start against Toulon? Another good performance against a decent team in Glasgow could have been enough to get him a place. Or do we think he was never going to start anyway? Thinking about it, the postponement has hampered a lot of our build up. We have Rob Kearney going into this game cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Clegg wrote: »
    Anyone else think JVDF may have missed the chance to start against Toulon? Another good performance against a decent team in Glasgow could have been enough to get him a place. Or do we think he was never going to start anyway? Thinking about it, the postponement has hampered a lot of our build up. We have Rob Kearney going into this game cold.

He's really taken his chance and the back row does seem better balanced when he plays so I'd like to see him start if SOB is out (presume he will be out for a while). That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss out.

LostArt wrote: »
    He's really taken his chance and the back row does seem better balanced when he plays so I'd like to see him start if SOB is out (presume he will be out for a while). That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss out.

I'd like to see a Ruddock/SOB, JVDF, Heaslip has a nice balance to it, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    My recollection (hazy though it may be) is that Bordeaux isn't actually that nice a city.

Its not but the surrounding area is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I was in Bristol once, never again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Visited a few wine bars, did we? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zzippy wrote: »
    Visited a few wine bars, did we? ;)

I think I spent about 70% of my waking hours in the Connemara and 15% at the game.

Alas, I spent the other 15% wandering the streets looking for my friend who went missing with a dead phone so I got a good view of Bordeux, just not in a great state!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seanie_m

Mod edit: Please read the charter. NO buying or selling of tickets allowed. Also, DO NOT post contact details on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

aimee1 wrote: »
    Its not but the surrounding area is beautiful.

Have to disagree. Bordeaux is one of my favourite cities in France, and I have been there many times. Some beautiful buildings, plenty of style, great shops and restaurnts.

Anyway, this is all probably rumour about Madigan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When is Mick Kearney back?

It seems nice of him and Marshall to start a pact that neither will play for each others club until both are fit :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's alot going on in that article.

There is also a difference saying we'd like you to go to XYZ and saying you are going to XYZ. The former has happened past, the latter I'm not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, nothing in that article says the IRFU are telling anyone where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't really want him, aside from goal kicking I don't see him as any better than Keatley.

The only winner here is Leinster getting Henshaw.

Also, why would Madigan sign for IRFU/Munster if he's really being offered €500k by Bristol. Can/will the IRFU come near to matching that and also expect him to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

An increased contract and a starting berth at out half?

The IRFU won't need to make him go anywhere. He gets to play 10 regularly, Munster get a better out half, Joe gets his three national 10s playing regularly.

Win win win.

I'll remain skeptical though.

Yeah, nothing in that article says the IRFU are telling anyone where to go.

Reading between the lines, and taking into account the headline and byline, it's pretty clear that Madigan is being offered a contract in Munster, or he can head off and take the foreign shilling. I'd call that telling him where to go.

Reading between the lines, and taking into account the headline and byline, it's pretty clear that Madigan is being offered a contract in Munster, or he can head off and take the foreign shilling. I'd call that telling him where to go.

He himself may have said he's only going to sign somewhere he will be able to start at 10, ruling out staying at Leinster. He did say:
    I’ll weigh up the pros and cons of staying here, the pros and cons of going elsewhere, the ambitions of the other clubs. The opportunities to play in the No 10 position, or the No 12 position, and the style of play of Leinster going forward, and the style of play of other clubs; that would be of interest.

phog wrote: »
    I don't really want him, aside from goal kicking I don't see him as any better than Keatley.

The only winner here is Leinster getting Henshaw.

Also, why would Madigan sign for IRFU/Munster if he's really being offered €500k by Bristol. Can/will the IRFU come near to matching that and also expect him to move.

he's already said he's no interest in playing championship rugby so that rules out bristol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    he's already said he's no interest in playing championship rugby so that rules out bristol

I think he said it made them a risk. They really should get promoted.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think he said it made them a risk. They really should get promoted.

Ah yeah but to be fair they "should" have been promoted the last two years as well. He wouldn't be the first to make that mistake.

Maybe the Premiership will expand to 14 teams, guaranteeing their promotion.

He himself may have said he's only going to sign somewhere he will be able to start at 10, ruling out staying at Leinster. He did say:
    I’ll weigh up the pros and cons of staying here, the pros and cons of going elsewhere, the ambitions of the other clubs. The opportunities to play in the No 10 position, or the No 12 position, and the style of play of Leinster going forward, and the style of play of other clubs; that would be of interest.

Given the quote about the style of play, do you really think he would choose to go to Munster of his own accord?

Given the quote about the style of play, do you really think he would choose to go to Munster of his own accord?

If it was based entirely on style play probably not. Maybe he values starting at 10 over that?

Either way, if the IRFU want him to go to Munster but he he's not keen and doesn't end up going there, that's entirely different to the IRFU forcing him to go there, for all we know the IRFU suggestion may only be in the case where he decides to move on from Leinster and it's just an alternative being offered.

If it was based entirely on style play probably not. Maybe he values starting at 10 over that?

Either way, if the IRFU want him to go to Munster but he he's not keen and doesn't end up going there, that's entirely different to the IRFU forcing him to go there, for all we know the IRFU suggestion may only be in the case where he decides to move on from Leinster and it's just an alternative being offered.

Given the source and the conviction in the article, I'd say it's a safe bet Madigan's either going abroad or going to Munster. Of course Madigan is going to throw out quotes like that about weighing up his options - he wants the best deal possible, but I think the IRFU are forcing his hand here if he doesn't actually want to leave Ireland by offering Munster as his only contract option if he remains. No one said the IRFU were forcing him to go to Munster, but if the choice is Munster or abroad and they know he doesn't want to emigrate (or are gambling he doesn't), they are effectively telling him to play for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

An increased contract and a starting berth at out half?

The IRFU won't need to make him go anywhere. He gets to play 10 regularly, Munster get a better out half, Joe gets his three national 10s playing regularly.

Win win win.

I'll remain skeptical though.

Not really, he's a better penalty taker and that's it.

That article says Leinster have narrowed their focus to New Zealand in the search for a new scrum half. Also says the plan is to find an uncapped 9 with the view to naturalising him. Doesn't seem to good for McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

phog wrote: »
    Not really, he's a better penalty taker and that's it.

Well, Joe doesn't think so and if these rumours are true then neither does Nucifora.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Moore to Munster and Madigan to Connacht is a much better scenario, either way it seems Leinster's players are being auctioned off :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Clegg wrote: »
    That article says Leinster have narrowed their focus to New Zealand in the search for a new scrum half. Also says the plan is to find an uncapped 9 with the view to naturalising him. Doesn't seem to good for McGrath.

Boss and Reddan might not be around beyond this season so I wouldnt see it as a bad thing for McGrath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement