Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

we are paying Sexton about the same as it would cost to keep both of them, our squad will be threadbare next season, and when Sexton goes down, we'll be goosed at outhalf. Madigan Henshaw, Teo will win you a HC

Who is this "we"? I think you will find there is at least one person in back ground who is shelling out a good bit of Sextons wages and I can't see them doing the same for other players as this was high profile player

Also the advertisement money Leinster makes from Sexton is alot more than Madigan would make.

IRFU have also a say in this so if Leinster don't want him then any of the other 3 will take Sexton and I bet none of them would turn him down

I didn't see Toulon or any of the other clubs bidding for Sexton worried about injury problems

Why would the squad be threadbare?? Cathal Marsh had a great start to season and really should be looked at going forward...

You are throwing Sexton who is the best 10 in North Hemp out to retirement at 30 and Dan Carter just won a WC at 33???????

This makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

molloyjh wrote: »

This has made me very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

LostArt wrote: »
    This has made me very happy!

He didn't say he was staying at Leinster though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I seen this morning that Cheika wants him back to Australia so he can play for Wallibies and so far if Cheika wants something he gets it......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I did notice that everyone had quoted the number to Euro in regards to the offer from Bristol because it gets more Wow factor. This is the press.

It looks so high because of how terrible the euro is compared to the pound. In reality the offer from Bristol is £350k

So you then need to take into consideration cost of living. You are not paying in Euro when living in the UK so really are you making that much more money? The cost of items in UK is a lot more expensive than in France so you might end up making more money in France

If the Euro finally comes back against the pound then the gap between France and UK is a lot closer.

When you actually break it down Madigan could go to France, play in nice weather and come out with more money in long run.....

Of course Madigan could sign for Bristol and live in Dublin and then he would be sorted, the commute would be a f**ker

I wouldn't expect any drastic changes in that exchange rate tbh. I'm living in England and Euro has been piss to both sterling and USD for probably 18+ months.

Cost of living here is also quite cheap if you're outside London so the strength of the pound is definitely relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

I read somewhere recently that the IRFU had given each province an extra 2.3 million to keep\entice players. It does'nt make sense for leinster to be letting Teo go so easily if the money is available, it seems the IRFU have gone too far the the other way in restricting NIQ players joining the provinces. they need to take the shackles off if the provinces are going to compete in europe again as there is never going to be the quality of homegrown players

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ahahaha.... this folks, is why we take a huge grain of salt with the rumours that start circulating around boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

typhoony wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that the IRFU had given each province an extra 2.3 million to keep\entice players. It does'nt make sense for leinster to be letting Teo go so easily if the money is available, it seems the IRFU have gone too far the the other way in restricting NIQ players joining the provinces. they need to take the shackles off if the provinces are going to compete in europe again as there is never going to be the quality of homegrown players

What I find amusing about all of this is that one minute you have loads of people complaining about young guys not getting a chance and the like. Then the next minute a load of people are complaining that the IRFU won't allow us to sign in foreign players because we don't have enough homegrown players.

Talented guys like Jack O'Connell and JJ Hanrahan are leaving Ireland because they aren't getting the game time. If we develop a bit more of a culture of moving guys around with a view to getting them developed enough to challenge for the national side we might see more guys like that hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Could we not sell Sexton and keep Teo and Madser. Sexton isnt going to get less injury prone as he ages...

To quote John McEnroe 'You cannot be serious'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

12308233_10153646673210240_2681332927324561691_n.jpg?oh=e821cda50a71d0988af0e53ecd163742&oe=56D45D06&__gda__=1458075577_80c1c350139d5d6794d7bceed0181bab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I feel a strange attachment to T'eo I feel he's not far off becoming a cult legend. If he signs to stay I think he will reach somewhere around a 7.5 on the Isa Nacewa Adoration Scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »
    I feel a strange attachment to T'eo I feel he's not far off becoming a cult legend. If he signs to stay I think he will reach somewhere around a 7.5 on the Isa Nacewa Adoration Scale.

Isa could literally murder BOD and his approval rating would only drop to an 8 on the INAS, what a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

errlloyd wrote: »

+1. I really like T'eo. Would absolutely love him to stick around.

What I find amusing about all of this is that one minute you have loads of people complaining about young guys not getting a chance and the like. Then the next minute a load of people are complaining that the IRFU won't allow us to sign in foreign players because we don't have enough homegrown players.

I think people just like to complain. Especially online. To strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Complaining about youngsters not getting game time and complaining about the decline in quality of imports are not contradictory. It seems to be the IRFU take on things but it's specious at best.

It overlooks the fact that we have a significant number of Irish qualified players at the provinces who are not and will never be good enough for international level but clog up jerseys that might otherwise go to younger guys. It overlooks the fact that a mid level foreigner is just as much an impediment to young Irish guys as a top level one, but won't deliver as much for the province.

It's a deeply flawed and short sighted policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Tox56 wrote: »
    Isa could literally murder BOD and his approval rating would only drop to an 8 on the INAS, what a man.

I am wholly in favour of the INAS becoming a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Toulon match coming up very shortly. Been a lack of chat about it presumably because we don't want to think what they'll do to us. I've come up with a solution though. Having seen how Leinster played during the world cup and then how they played with all their regular starters back all we have to do us put out the A's and we'll win by 20. This is a fool proof plan.

Coming out of contract league convert announces that he is staying in Union.

This is basically just letting everyone else know that he is available to union clubs. Leinster will need to work hard to retain him and as much as nothing concrete has been said, I think he is more likely to move next season unfortunately.

FWIW I would rather hang onto Te'o than have Henshaw come across.

Complaining about youngsters not getting game time and complaining about the decline in quality of imports are not contradictory. It seems to be the IRFU take on things but it's specious at best.

It overlooks the fact that we have a significant number of Irish qualified players at the provinces who are not and will never be good enough for international level but clog up jerseys that might otherwise go to younger guys. It overlooks the fact that a mid level foreigner is just as much an impediment to young Irish guys as a top level one, but won't deliver as much for the province.

It's a deeply flawed and short sighted policy.

Ah well that's a different discussion in fairness. There are a lot of far more general complaints that are definitely contradictory. The "why can't we do what NZ do" type thing that is followed by "why can't we get more foreign players in".

Coming out of contract league convert announces that he is staying in Union.

This is basically just letting everyone else know that he is available to union clubs. Leinster will need to work hard to retain him and as much as nothing concrete has been said, I think he is more likely to move next season unfortunately.

FWIW I would rather hang onto Te'o than have Henshaw come across.

Oh yeah, there's nothing there to suggest he's going to stay at Leinster per se. But at the same time if he is staying with Union we have at least some chance of holding on to him. Talk at the moment of him following MOC to Queensland where he can try and get into the Aussie team. That makes sense in some ways, but in others you'd wonder. The Reds had a decent few years around the same time as Leinsters HEC successes, but other than that have been pretty much consistently propping up the SR table. Surely he could find a better club than that to go to if he was heading back to Oz?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the big question is who's going to play 12, I'm guessing Fitzgerald with DK, Nacewa on the wings and RK at the back.

I'm a bit optimistic as we've gone France last year and the before and done ok to very good. In many ways we should have won there last season and the year before it was 6 all at half time.

Player wise, bar scrum half, we could be going there with a better team on paper than we have both of those times too.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think the big question is who's going to play 12, I'm guessing Fitzgerald with DK, Nacewa on the wings and RK at the back.

I'm a bit optimistic as we've gone France last year and the before and done ok to very good. In many ways we should have won there last season and the year before it was 6 all at half time.

Player wise, bar scrum half, we could be going there with a better team on paper than we have both of those times too.

At this stage the big question is who plays 9. Is McGrath fit or do we need to rely on Reddan or Boss. Reddans form is really poor and Boss isn't exactly known for the pace he puts into the game. And I think the only way we'll win this is if we look to play with pace. Wasps have shown that Toulon are vulnerable if you do that, both this season and last.

I am worried about who will play 12 though as well. We've played 6 different combinations there already this season and so don't have a settled midfield. That will surely be an issue?

At this stage the big question is who plays 9. Is McGrath fit or do we need to rely on Reddan or Boss. Reddans form is really poor and Boss isn't exactly known for the pace he puts into the game. And I think the only way we'll win this is if we look to play with pace. Wasps have shown that Toulon are vulnerable if you do that, both this season and last.

I am worried about who will play 12 though as well. We've played 6 different combinations there already this season and so don't have a settled midfield. That will surely be an issue?

I'd be surprised if Boss doesn't start, we're going to be defending an awful awful lot against hilariously large blokes so Boss all day for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Absolutely Boss will/should start.

WWJD.jpg

Joe would absolutely start Boss for this game.

Well I'm going to say this now then, if Boss starts on Sunday we will lose. The only way we can win that game is to go for it and with Boss at 9 we just won't get the service to do that. We won't win an arm wrestle and the longer the ball stays in the rucks the more that suits Toulon. It's a big ask anyway, but I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot starting the slower 9.

Well I'm going to say this now then, if Boss starts on Sunday we will lose. The only way we can win that game is to go for it and with Boss at 9 we just won't get the service to do that. We won't win an arm wrestle and the longer the ball stays in the rucks the more that suits Toulon. It's a big ask anyway, but I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot starting the slower 9.

Our starting 9 is not going to dictate whether we win or lose. Personally I think we need to keep Toulon as scoreless or low scoring as possible and try and take our points. We're not manufacturing tries too well this year against better teams so I think we need to limit them and try and create kicking opportunities within Sexton / Madigans range.

These lads just worry me:

6Tmv23Y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

D'arcy has a new column in todays Times talking about the Toulon game. He says it'll boil down to whether Leinster can go toe to toe with Toulon up front. If they can do that and keep the score close than after 50 minutes the Toulon players will start wondering why they aren't winning, get frustrated and start making mistakes because they're not a team that's overly familiar with each other.

Clegg wrote: »
    D'arcy has a new column in todays Times talking about the Toulon game. He says it'll boil down to whether Leinster can go toe to toe with Toulon up front. If they can do that and keep the score close than after 50 minutes the Toulon players will start wondering why they aren't winning, get frustrated and start making mistakes because they're not a team that's overly familiar with each other.

Our survey said....

Our starting 9 is not going to dictate whether we win or lose. Personally I think we need to keep Toulon as scoreless or low scoring as possible and try and take our points. We're not manufacturing tries too well this year against better teams so I think we need to limit them and try and create kicking opportunities within Sexton / Madigans range.

These lads just worry me:

6Tmv23Y.jpg

Is Nonu registered? I didn't think he was.

Also trying to take these guys on up front is just playing into their hands. The slower and more physical the game the more of an advantage they have.

Our starting 9 certainly isn't going to be the only factor in the result, but how we play the game will have a massive impact. And who we start at 9 will have a big say in how we play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Is Nonu registered? I didn't think he was.

That's what I thought, but was over on LF there and it seems he was registered today.

Edit: It isn't on the EPC site yet, but that doesn't mean much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement