Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd love to see Robb back at Leinster but only if he was given game-time. Wherever he's going to get senior exposure is where he should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd love to see Robb back at Leinster but only if he was given game-time. Wherever he's going to get senior exposure is where he should be.

I presume that the whole purpose of moving players between provinces would be to get certain players as much senior team exposure as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Why? We already have Steve Crosbie, Tom Daly and Brewer waiting for a chance, Reid is still a quality player and we have no idea what Madigan is doing.

No.

I feel he is a potentially better 12 then the players mentioned. Plus a Madigan/Ringrose centre partnership would be very light by European standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

On another topic...

Ive been meaning to ask what's the general opinion on Van Der Flier? I haven't been able to catch many Leinster games this season but from what ive heard he's been very good?

Do people reckon that he'll be out of the 23 when SOB returns? Does be seem more promising than Leavy? Any chance he'll make the 6N squad?

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    On another topic...

Ive been meaning to ask what's the general opinion on Van Der Flier? I haven't been able to catch many Leinster games this season but from what ive heard he's been very good?

Do people reckon that he'll be out of the 23 when SOB returns? Does be seem more promising than Leavy? Any chance he'll make the 6N squad?

He's been very good this season. A lot of effective tackles and carries and some decent breakdown work as well.

I'd say he's in with a chance of staying in the 23 because Jordi Murphy's form has been shaky. I would personally say Leavy has more promise, but VdF looks to have a better chance of making it, purely because Leavy keeps getting injured. I'd say there's zero chance of him making the 6N squad, unless he starts in the majority of Leinster's remaining games.

Also, I think his last name is pronounced Van der Fleer, but commentators etc keep saying Flyer.

• Advertisement

He's been very good this season. A lot of effective tackles and carries and some decent breakdown work as well.

I'd say he's in with a chance of staying in the 23 because Jordi Murphy's form has been shaky. I would personally say Leavy has more promise, but VdF looks to have a better chance of making it, purely because Leavy keeps getting injured. I'd say there's zero chance of him making the 6N squad, unless he starts in the majority of Leinster's remaining games.

Also, I think his last name is pronounced Van der Fleer, but commentators etc keep saying Flyer.

Yes, I agree with this. I think he has been really impressive. He has made some great carries, and for me he's definitely playing better than Murphy at the moment.

I see Tadhg Beirne is starting for Leinster A this week. Did he get a contract extension, I thought he was signed up on a three month contract only?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

VdF is a very busy player, you see him alot on when he plays.

Having the red scrum cap helps here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I see Tadhg Beirne is starting for Leinster A this week. Did he get a contract extension, I thought he was signed up on a three month contract only?
    I don't it had stated anywhere how long is contract was when it was announced in the summer. It only said he was signing a short term contract. Him playing doesn't mean he's got an extension as we don't know the length of the contract in the first place....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yep, Flier - rhymes with Pier.

Commentators driving me mad "Oh he's got a great name for a winger har har har".

• Advertisement

I don't it had stated anywhere how long is contract was when it was announced in the summer. It only said he was signing a short term contract. Him playing doesn't mean he's got an extension as we don't know the length of the contract in the first place....

Fair enough, had it in my head it was three months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Sorry we have Robb and he gets game time.

flouncer wrote: »
    Sorry we have Robb and he gets game time.

No need to apologise. The post of mine that you quoted actually states that I want to be in an environment where he gets game-time, so I actually want him to stay at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just reselected my seats for Munster game in April. my season ticket in the terrace had gotten me a fairly crappy row g of lower deck. Got free upgrade to row a of upper deck behind posts. Really easy system to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Fair enough, had it in my head it was three months!

I think it was 3 months and I think it is up. Tony Ryan is also playing and has not had his contract extended. Happened a good few times last year that players were called up for A's and not contracted to Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Predicted team for Sunday?

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock Heaslip Murphy
    Boss Sexton
    Nacewa Fitz Te'o Kearney
    Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Denton, JVDF, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

I'm assuming Luke McGrath and SOB are still out but that R Kearney is properly fit again. Biggest call is at tight-head, Ross has been written off so many times and keeps coming back but sooner or later he's going to run out of road.

It's still a good side, if they've started to gel then it could be OK but a win is basically impossible. A losing BP and a good standard of rugby would be enough for me, at least give us hope for the return leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Healy Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock Heaslip Murphy
    Boss Sexton
    Nacewa Fitz Te'o Kearney
    Kearney

Bench: Cronin, McGrath, Furlong, Denton, JVDF, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

I can see them starting Healy because of his experience.......

Apart from that I could only potential see JVDF to come in as Murphy form has been poor and he admitted it himself recently.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Predicted team for Sunday?

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock Heaslip Murphy
    Boss Sexton
    Nacewa Fitz Te'o Kearney
    Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Denton, JVDF, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

I'm assuming Luke McGrath and SOB are still out but that R Kearney is properly fit again. Biggest call is at tight-head, Ross has been written off so many times and keeps coming back but sooner or later he's going to run out of road.

It's still a good side, if they've started to gel then it could be OK but a win is basically impossible. A losing BP and a good standard of rugby would be enough for me, at least give us hope for the return leg.

I'd say that's about right. McGrath was confirmed as being out earlier in the week. VDF may get in ahead of Jordi given the form of both. Last week should have been a chance for Jordi to prove himself and that it was called off may mean Josh gets in ahead of him, and I'd hope Molony is ahead of Denton but not sure on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

VDF starts!

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Isaac Boss
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Jordi Murphy
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Dave Kearney

01. Healy
    02. Strauss
    03. Ross
    04. Toner
    05. McCarthy
    06. Ruddock
    07. van der Flier
    08. Heaslip

09. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. Fitzgerald
    13. Te'o
    14. Nacewa
    15. R Kearney

They only have the starting XV up in that stupid video thing...

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    01. Healy
    02. Strauss
    03. Ross
    04. Toner
    05. McCarthy
    06. Ruddock
    07. van der Flier
    08. Heaslip

09. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. Fitzgerald
    13. Te'o
    14. Nacewa
    15. R Kearney

Knew Boss would start. Good team!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

That's a good bench, some real impact there.

VDF starts!

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Isaac Boss
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Jordi Murphy
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Dave Kearney

Healy ahead of McGrath, Denton ahead of Molony, McFadden ahead of D Kearney and Fitzgerald at 12 are all fairly big calls in fairness.Not sure I'd agree with them. I think Dave comes infield and links up with the midfield really well and is that bit more elusive, but Fitz is easily our best winger. His form at 12 hasn't been great, particularly defensively, and for me Mads did a better job there when he started there against Ulster. Still I suppose you don't want both your out-halves on for 60 mins against that Toulon midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

molloyjh wrote: »
    01. Healy
    02. Strauss
    03. Ross
    04. Toner
    05. McCarthy
    06. Ruddock
    07. van der Flier
    08. Heaslip

09. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. Fitzgerald
    13. Te'o
    14. Nacewa
    15. R Kearney

Nacewa is great, but asking him to play both wings is probably a bit much. Leo out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

VDF starts!

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Ben Te'o
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    11. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Isaac Boss
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Jordi Murphy
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Dave Kearney

Such a weak team. Ben Teo, Nacewa, Sexton and Heaslip are the only truly class players we have.

Kearney, McFadden, Boss, Healy, Ross, Toner, McCarthy, Ruddock are all either average players, past it or out of form.

Knew Boss would start. Good team!

Ah yeah he's definitely the form 9 of the 2 of them. He had to start.

Decent team! Delighted Van der Flier gets to start. Hoping for a big performance from Healy.

WarZ wrote: »
    Such a weak team. Ben Teo, Nacewa, Sexton and Heaslip are the only truly class players we have.

Kearney, McFadden, Boss, Healy, Ross, Toner, McCarthy, Ruddock are all either average players, past it or out of form.

And slow...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cannot wait to see how vdf gets on.

• Advertisement

WarZ wrote: »

You're right now that I look at it. I was excited to watch this match but instead I think I'll just crawl into a hole and die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement