Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There's not a whole lot I would change team wise for next week if all are fit. McGrath for Healy maybe and I've been calling for Ross to go for a while but don't see it happening.
    I'd like to see Ross Moloney on the bench too. Personally see Denton as a nothing player and his card was so unnecessary. Moloney is the future, not Denton

In fairness Denton was good aside from the incredibly stupid penalty. He stripped the ball off someone on our line a few minutes before. He's incredibly well conditioned now compared to previous seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

There's not a whole lot I would change team wise for next week if all are fit. McGrath for Healy maybe and I've been calling for Ross to go for a while but don't see it happening.
    I'd like to see Ross Moloney on the bench too. Personally see Denton as a nothing player and his card was so unnecessary. Moloney is the future, not Denton
    Healy? McGrath maybe? And reality strikes Denis Buckley?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    But it wasn't exactly away from the ball. He was in the channel on the wrong side of the ruck. Healy, if he wants to join the ruck, had to run through him. You used to see players getting walked on for that, now people frown on that so he shoved him back into the ruck to make a point to the ref. unfortunately he accidently kneed him in the head... I don't see what's different here to people getting kneed on or stepped on accidentally in a ruck. It's a contact sport and accidents happen. I actually saw toner getting a shin to the face during the game, and he got straight back up. Because as we all know when you're near a ruck there's a chance a random limb will catch your head.

I thought it was an incredibly soft yellow and I don't think nige wanted to give it.

He was a fair distance away from the ruck. Much better he rolls away to there than lies on the ball.

It was 100% intentional from Healy, he hit him away from the contact area, pure opportunism. and he dropped his knee while doing it (which is a completely unnatural movement). He deserved the yellow for sure and he can have no complaints whatsoever. It's not like Healy doesn't have a previous for these types of things either.

And then tiernan in front of rob kearney in front of Andrew conway? Astounding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

flouncer wrote: »
    Healy? McGrath maybe? And reality strikes Denis Buckley?

Flounce what does Buckley have to do with the Leinster team selection? Have you been on the sauce again? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »
    Flounce what does Buckley have to do with the Leinster team selection? Have you been on the sauce again? :P

Ah I'm not going mad.

And then tiernan in front of rob kearney in front of Andrew conway? Astounding?

Maybe give the forum a rest for the night mate, you're not making an "ounce" of sense.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Which goes to prove I make no useful point, but I hope its a bit of a laugh on the way :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Honestly I couldn't disagree more with that yellow card, but just one of those things people see it differently. I'd have done the same,

You've never been close enough to a ruck to do anything like that :pac:

It was the way he lead in with the elbow and the knee. Yes, he was blocking the channel, but he didn't need to try and go through him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Which goes to prove I make no useful point, but I hope its a bit of a laugh on the way :-)

Why do you bother posting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Next week should be all about exposing the next generation to a big game environment and gnarly opposition (i wont say great opposition because some of Toulons big names were only that today, a big name).

Its all about the Pro12 now, ensuring Cup qualification and then the playoffs, see what happens after that. We need form players to be recognised and to get their games against Munster and Connacht.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why do you bother posting?
    j
    There you go. There are all types. I enjoy adding and detracting. This is a forum. Much waffle. Our opinion does not count. We discuss and no further. What do you want? Marmion is the best scrum half, we have no out half, toh is the best fullback, Trimble is the best winger we have. This is from an Irish perspective. Who else is there. Earls and Fitzgerald as centre. Tommy bowe the other end. Now I would enjoy that

j
    There you go. There are all types. I enjoy adding and detracting. This is a forum. Much waffle. Our opinion does not count. We discuss and no further. What do you want? Marmion is the best scrum half, we have no out half, toh is the best fullback, Trimble is the best winger we have. This is from an Irish perspective. Who else is there. Earls and Fitzgerald as centre. Tommy bowe the other end

I think as advised earlier you might need a break.

Earls as centre??

I think as advised earlier you might need a break.

Earls as centre??
    I would have argued Fitzgerald first. Argument these are imaginative players. You don't agree. So henshaw/who is better? So it will be henshaw and somebody at centre. Of course it could be henshaw at 15 and earls and fitz in the centre

I would have argued Fitzgerald first. Argument these are imaginative players. You don't agree. So henshaw/who is better? So it will be henshaw and somebody at centre. Of course it could be henshaw at 15 and earls and fitz in the centrew

Do you realise this is the Leinster thread?

Henshaw doesn't currently play for Leinster?

Are you talking about the Irish squad?

Do you realise this is the Leinster thread?

Henshaw doesn't currently play for Leinster?

Are you talking about the Irish squad?
    Hmmmmm. Now you do make a fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

But Stheno, much waffle.

At the end of the day, argument these are imaginative players.

Hagz wrote: »
    But Stheno, much waffle.

At the end of the day, argument these are imaginative players.

Look, an Ireland backline of Murray, Sexton on form, Henshaw at 15 and then the likes of Teo/Aki/Ringrose at 13 with multiple options at 11 and 14 are a dream.

Just a couple of years away is all

As a Leinster fan, I'm happy to get to know the players, one of the nicest things for me the past few months is getting into the Pro 12 and CCup and getting to see players across the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think flounce has entered the twilight zone

case885 wrote: »
    I think flounce has entered the twilight zone
    excellent. sorry i'm still recovering from uncontrollable laughter and that is not to say you dont have a point. Twilight zone was my fav series :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Honestly I couldn't disagree more with that yellow card, but just one of those things people see it differently. I'd have done the same, I don't think Fresia was trying to knee anyone, but Fresia was milking the fact Strauss was in an offside position and clearly trying to stop people joining the ruck from that side. The fact Fresia's knee knee accidentally clipped Strauss' head is a silly reason to sin bin someone. I could pick out dozens of incidents in rucks where people clip people by accident. The fact it was outside a ruck a should make no difference, Strauss knew exactly what he was doing. Leinster were using that tactic all day until nige started pinging them in the 2nd half for it.

circle-the-wagons-consumers-are-worried-300x128.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    circle-the-wagons-consumers-are-worried-300x128.jpg

Welcome EOS ;)

Healy dumb. Strauss possibly needing serious time off (is that the 3rd/4th/5th time he's been out cold this year?). Fitzgerald was very good. McCarthy again very good. Sexton miles out of sorts.

Thought we did okay tbh, scoreline flattered Toulon, but they were deserving winners all the same.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Healy dumb. Strauss possibly needing serious time off (is that the 3rd/4th/5th time he's been out cold this year?). Fitzgerald was very good. McCarthy again very good. Sexton miles out of sorts.

Thought we did okay tbh, scoreline flattered Toulon, but they were deserving winners all the same.

Onwards and upwards.

The last try flattered them, but all of their scores came directly or indirectly from Leinster indiscipline.

Nigel gave them too much leeway at the breakdown; they were almost always supporting their weight on their arms before attacking the ball which Garces (for one) wouldn't have allowed. Having said that, you have to play the ref but there were times when the whistle was being blown almost as soon as the player went to ground. Rob Kearney got pinged in Leinster's 22 extremely quickly imo.

It's unusual for Leinster to get three YCs in one game. All of them were stupid, but seemed to me to be borne out of frustration. They need to be cleverer in these situations and get the ref on their side, but it just seemed as if that battle was lost early and could never be regained.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Onwards and upwards.

I think if Toner hadn't got the card and we had kept our discipliine a bit better, the score would have been close. I would have thought that Toulon would have been hoping for a TBP yesterday, but they showed no sign of getting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That short window when Sexton missed a kick and Toner was binned was costly in that we never really got back into the game from there. It was generally one way traffic until the end. 12-10 up with 15 men on the pitch instead of 16-9 down with 14 a short while later.

That short window when Sexton missed a kick and Toner was binned was costly in that we never really got back into the game from there. It was generally one way traffic until the end. 12-10 up with 15 men on the pitch instead of 16-9 down with 14 a short while later.

Yup, huge swing there. Was a bad miss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Whether it be Toulon at club level all the All Blacks, it's the small errors that just can't happen if you're to have any chance of clinging on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Any kicker will make a mess of the odd one, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. For the most part, he kicked well at goal, but not so well out of hand. And he ran the back line well yesterday.

I think Sexton is very hard on himself, especially if he thinks he is letting the team down, and I just hope he doesn't let this bad form get in on him.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Any kicker will make a mess of the odd one, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. For the most part, he kicked well at goal, but not so well out of hand. And he ran the back line well yesterday.

I think Sexton is very hard on himself, especially if he thinks he is letting the team down, and I just hope he doesn't let this bad form get in on him.

really?

I thought it was poor again from him tbh. I expect a lot out of Sexton, he's capable of far better than he is currently delivering.

It was a bad miss, he should have got it. 90seconds later Toner was binned and c'est tout!

I've no issue with him having bad days, it happens. However we've been hanging on a bit now waiting for a good day!

I'm fairly confident he'll get back to speed, but I don't know how long it's going to take. I'm also happy enough to allow him the time and space that it will require though. Sexton on top form can get a lot more out of a team than any of our other options. A lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement