Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

So I guess this means that there's no chance Kane will be on the bench next week so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was reading in the Indo this morning that D'arcy hasn't been offered a contract renewal by Leinster so this is a big game for him.

He could force his way back into the first team here with a good showing.

Well, the headline says "D'Arcy not offered contract renewal" but there is no actual explanation as to how they came to the conclusion that it wasn't his own decision to retire, or that he isn't just mulling over his options.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We're not beating anyone without some continuity and confidence, two things a good performance against Dragons could afford us.

I think this is a missed opportunity for the Real Leinster to stand up. Nothing energises like a good win and there are players left out that have little game time this season.

Then again, if we sent out a first choice and lost you'd be even more worried for the Toulon game but am sure that didnt come into the thinking......

How often do you see good performances from anyone in RP? A 0-3 win would be just fine and would almost certainly mean everyone would be fit and raring to go for the following 2 weeks. They are bigger games and at the very least just as important, if not more so.

I don't like the position we're in but I agree with this call. Just like the player welfare "issue" 2 weeks ago you need to play a slightly longer game here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Surprised more isn't being made of the Madigan omission.

Think it's mad, unless MOC plans on starting him vs Toulon, which will be even more mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »

Think it's mad, unless MOC plans on starting him vs Toulon, which will be even more mad...

Madigan at 10 vs Toulon

What could go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He will definitely start against Toulon. Resting him is mad.

molloyjh wrote: »
    How often do you see good performances from anyone in RP?

And how often do you see Ireland put 30 points on Scotland in Murrayfield?

We have an extremely talented bunch of players that had a substantial stake in winning the six nations. They should be able to put Dragons away in RP and then march on to Toulon with more cohesion and confidence.

Yet as it stands we're trying out more new combinations and leaving ourselves very vulnerable to a loss and then going to Toulon having just surpassed our worst league performance in a generation to try and beat the best team in Europe with most of the squad having no game time in blue in months.

The only conclusion I can think of is that the first choice team is training through this weekend and that's where the focus is, rather than prepping for two games.

What this means for Gopperth is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There was no chance of us opening up against Dragons even with our strongest XV. They set themselves up to prevent exactly that at home. That wasn't an option on the table.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He will definitely start against Toulon. Resting him is mad.

Think .ak meant starting at outhalf against Toulon would be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

While I don't think it'll happen, the potential for a similar situation as Gopperth last season scares me

• Advertisement

Think .ak meant starting at outhalf against Toulon would be mad.

Yes, this.

There was no chance of us opening up against Dragons even with our strongest XV. They set themselves up to prevent exactly that at home. That wasn't an option on the table.

The idea for playing the strongest XV is to get them to gel ahead of the Toulon game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

And yet Dusautoir has already played more minutes of rugby this season than Gopperth, despite missing the first few games of the season.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    And yet Dusautoir has already played more minutes of rugby this season than Gopperth, despite missing the first few games of the season.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Probably explains why he was so poor in six nations.

???

More of an aside, but it's pointless comparing Gopperth's gametime to Sexton's (re: the 'flogged in france' hypothesis) because the latter has been out so much with injury.

A more worthwhile comparison is a player who has remained fit all season (TD) and low, he has played more rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Just read this ... hope it's true and not a hoax.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/isa-nacewa-to-rejoin-leinster-on-a-one-year-contract-1.2170677
    First published:
    Fri, Apr 10, 2015, 01:00

Isa Nacewa is to come out of retirement two years after leaving Leinster by rejoining the province on a year’s contract. Leinster and the player have agreed a one-year deal, which has been approved by the IRFU, and are set to make the announcement next week.

Nacewa has been part of the management team with his former employers, the Auckland Blues, since returning to New Zealand two seasons ago.

trout wrote: »

Well the teams has been made aware and the understanding is that it's longer than a year so I guess a years playing contract and then into some kind of coaching role.

If Isa is technically signed as a coach, would he still fill an NIQ slot? I presume the IRFU have the small print to deal with such skulduggery?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Isa is technically signed as a coach, would he still fill an NIQ slot? I presume the IRFU have the small print to deal with such skulduggery?

If he is registered as a player he counts towards the NIQ count. But if Leinster only wanted him as a player during the World Cup and then wanted to move him to a full time coaching role even midway through the season I'm sure the IRFU would let them do something like that, the IRFU are pretty amenable to that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We need an outhalf this Sunday i.e. Gopperth or Madigan. He's resting the first team but one of them needs to play. The one that's the front line goal kicker is rested.

I'd still completely expect both to start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

He's still not flogged like Sexton is at Racing.

Regards,
    GT

Some stats to back this statement up please.

It was a jokey reference to Gerry Thornley (GT) always insisting that Sexton is flogged in the "Top quatorze" when he isn't really.

GT => Gerry Thornely => :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's 6 points between Leinster and Ulster at the moment. If Connacht can do us, and themselves, a favour against Ulster and we win in Newport it really is game on as the next Pro12 game is Ulster v Leinster.

Leinster are home to Treviso and away to Edinburgh after that game compared to Ulster being home to Munster and away to Glasgow!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

It was a jokey reference to Gerry Thornley (GT) always insisting that Sexton is flogged in the "Top quatorze" when he isn't really.

Okay - I get it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only just read the team sheet for Sunday - bit disappointed that all the front liners are rested, given the way we played against Bath - they could have done with more time playing together I would have thought. I'm actully nervous about this Dragons match - they are putting out a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

vienne86 wrote: »
    Only just read the team sheet for Sunday - bit disappointed that all the front liners are rested, given the way we played against Bath - they could have done with more time playing together I would have thought. I'm actully nervous about this Dragons match - they are putting out a good team.

Afraid to say I'm of the opinion our entire season will be over in 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Afraid to say I'm of the opinion our entire season will be over in 9 days.

When was the last time that happened, i.e. that our season was over in April? 2004-05?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

molloyjh wrote: »
    When was the last time that happened, i.e. that our season was over in April? 2004-05?

And that was because there was no play-offs in those days too.

Interestingly, our coach that season was a certain Mr. Kidney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement