Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Sexton was never going to be available this weekend, regardless of fitness. Pretty pointless press release.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have to say I'd prefer Marsh starting than Madigan.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sexton was never going to be available this weekend, regardless of fitness. Pretty pointless press release.

does player welfare kick in this weekend... again??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

aimee1 wrote: »
    Healy is still trying to find his best form, The back up 9 made his leinster senior debut last night, Denton is a good bit off international standard. Kirchner is a good player but nothing more then that.

The first half last night was very good from leinster. There is huge areas that require improvement which has been acknowledged but its not all doom and gloom the way you seem to think.

Leinster had 3 NIQs in the 23 last night. How would Toulon do if they could only have 5 Non French qualified players in their 23? They bring on STB to replace Escande, Leinster had Nick McCarthy on debut to replace Reddan.

Those are very selective comparisons. Leinster had to have their fourth choice 9 on the bench because the 2nd and 3rd choices are injured. How good is Toulon's fourth choice 9? Who even is Toulon's fourth choice 9?

I've seen others elsewhere cite the comparison between Murphy and Denton and the Toulon equivalents as evidence of the supposed gulf in quality between Toulon players and Leinster players. Again this is extremely selective. Leinster have great quality and strength-in-depth in the back row. Conan and O'Brien are currently injured. We wouldn't be signing any big name NIQs in this area anyway so the Murphy comparison is a complete red herring. If Cullen wanted a more powerful (he was banging on about Toulon's power after the game) backrower off the bench he could have gone for Dom Ryan.

Denton is a bit out of his depth at this level, but he was only in the 23 because Mick Kearney and Triggs (who is only here because of the Douglas saga) are injured. Leinster have one of the highest quality squads in Europe. There should be no bemoaning Toulon's greater flexibility when it comes to signing good players.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

sydthebeat wrote: »

Sexton has started the last 5? games in a row so would be due a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Again? The internationals returned over 2 games and haven't been tested since.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Have to say I'd prefer Marsh starting than Madigan.

Me too.

molloyjh wrote: »

Again? The internationals returned over 2 games and haven't been tested since.

I'm referring to last years Christmas game in thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Rumour: Te'o to Worcester apparently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Teferi wrote: »
    Te'o to Worcester apparently.

When?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    When?

He's out of contract the end of this season so next season I imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's out of contract the end of this season so next season I imagine.

Ah think I'm confusing him with Aki in Connaught?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Aki is contracted to Connacht until 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Te'o to Worcester apparently.

Extremely disappointing, I know these lads have to put food on the the table, but Worcester... what a step down, he'll be playing outside and inside dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

show-me-the-money-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rumour: Te'o to Worcester apparently.

Surely he can get a better club? Particularly as he is English qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Worcester offered Tualagi like a million or something stupid. They must have made a pretty penny off TV rights.

That's racist :D

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's racist :D

I just think of them all as Pacific Islanders :D

Surely he can get a better club? Particularly as he is English qualified.

They must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. If it's true he isn't going in order to win trophies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Looks like Nucifora is not going to be the most popular character soon.

I know Ireland are following the Welsh model..but the Welsh clubs were never winning H Cups anyway so dismantling their clubs didn't really matter... also Ireland have won the last two six nations.
    Interesting timed ahead. ..

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-guy-easterby-toulon-champions-cup-2515036-Dec2015/

scott1974 wrote: »

I know Ireland are following the Welsh model..but the Welsh clubs were never winning H Cups anyway so dismantling their clubs didn't really matter... also Ireland have won the last two six nations.

He's doing something that I think makes sense in the longer term. It may require a bit of pain now but if done right has the potential to work very well for the provinces and the national side. From listening to Joe it is going hand in hand with other initiatives across the country to improve our structures at all age grades and how we play the game. We're basically getting a full review of our set-up, it's not just this one thing in isolation. And that has the potential to create something really good. Again, if done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Teo confirmed gone at end of season. Big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

scott1974 wrote: »

Nothing really new in that 4 NIQs plus a project player is ok, we just need to make sure that both the budget and the scouting of such players improves, we have been unlucky with a few but the likes of renewing Kirchner was daft and we can't afford to be careless with our choices. If Leinster continue to supply the vast majority of the Irish squad and all that goes with that there may be a case to be fought for another NIQ or project player or allowing us a larger budget to attract better quality NIQs

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's very disappointing. He's been our best player at times. It's a pity we couldn't break the bank to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We should keep playing Te'o in our push for the league. But now is the time to be giving Ringrose a shot. He needs to be ready for next season. Start him against Bath. Unless we're bringing in another 13 which would just be a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

.ak wrote: »
    That's very disappointing. He's been our best player at times. It's a pity we couldn't break the bank to keep him.

Possibly a concession we had to make to get Henshaw??

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Possibly a concession we had to make to get Henshaw??

agreed.

softens the blow a bit, and also opens the door for a decent NIQ scrummie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

agreed.

softens the blow a bit, and also opens the door for a decent NIQ scrummie

That will depend on reddan and boss both going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Balls, really hoped we'd keep him. It'll be nice to see Henshaw in blue though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement