Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

T'eo's departure is no surprise. But I would have LOVED him to stay. Big loss.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

aimee1 wrote: »
    That will depend on reddan and boss both going?

going where?

Both reddan and boss will be 36 next year, boss will be 37 before the season ends.

Theres NO WAY we can go into a season again with one of them as our number 1 SH, regardless if both are still under contract.
    We should have planned for succession 2 years ago, but didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Gutted to see Te'o going. Massive loss.

I would be very surprised if we are allowed sign a foreign scrum-half. For all the complaints about Leinster's lack of succession planning at 9, there is pretty much nothing they could have done about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Thornley mentioned somewhere recently that Leinster were on the serious hunt for a project 9 from NZ. Gutted to see Te'o going, but hopefully that somewhat confirms that Henshaw is on his way here!

I'd be more gutted about Te'o had he gone to a competitive team. Seeing him chase dollars makes me a little less bothered about him leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

He must really want that England call up.

Ah well, good luck to him, he has the potential to be a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd be more gutted about Te'o had he gone to a competitive team. Seeing him chase dollars makes me a little less bothered about him leaving.

CPHmeEIWoAAEIEP.jpg

shuffol wrote: »
    CPHmeEIWoAAEIEP.jpg

Always laugh at how hilariously out of place Noel Reid looks in that picture. You can see a reflection of a Bus in Cipriani's glasses.

And Te'o shirt should be burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

T'eo going to Worcester says a lot... anyway hopefully we get Henshaw, himself and Ringrose could be a partnership for 10 years or longer. ..Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Worcester as a shop window to an England gig? G'luck with that lad.

Let him go now, spend the salary on making a few of our young bucks permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I'm the same tbh. It's still a shame that we couldn't hold onto him, but if we are getting Henshaw then I'm more okay with it than I would have been now.

Anyone know when Luke McGrath is due back? Would like to see him get some decent game time now this season and stake a claim for next season. Getting a half decent NIQ as back up would be fine by me, but I'd rather see McGrath being given the opportunity.

What we really need is a dog of a lock. Looking at next season we could be looking at something like:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner ???
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    D Kearney R Kearney McFadden

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, McCarthy/Kearney, VDF, ???, Marsh, Ringrose

That's an all IQ team but for the starting TH lock and replacement scrummie. We absolutely should be able to get approval for them from the IRFU. I don't know what the story will be with Isa, but I think he's lost too much pace to be starting for us in Europe if he even continues on as a player next season. Kirchner should not under any circumstances be kept on. With Douglas gone without being replaced, Te'o on the way out and Kirchner hopefully not being kept on we have at least 3 spots open. We could argue that we need a back 3 player maybe as well as we seem to be lacking in the wing department at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I had hoped he'd stick around, he could have been the next Leinster legend ala Isa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd rather go all in and throw Ringrose straight into the 13 jersey next season. Fitz is our best wing and should be left there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Surprised that it somehow makes a difference to people where he is going. Does it really matter that it's Worcester rather than one of the better teams?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same tbh. It's still a shame that we couldn't hold onto him, but if we are getting Henshaw then I'm more okay with it than I would have been now.

Anyone know when Luke McGrath is due back? Would like to see him get some decent game time now this season and stake a claim for next season. Getting a half decent NIQ as back up would be fine by me, but I'd rather see McGrath being given the opportunity.

What we really need is a dog of a lock. Looking at next season we could be looking at something like:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner ???
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    D Kearney R Kearney McFadden

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, McCarthy/Kearney, VDF, ???, Marsh, Ringrose

That's an all IQ team but for the starting TH lock and replacement scrummie. We absolutely should be able to get approval for them from the IRFU. I don't know what the story will be with Isa, but I think he's lost too much pace to be starting for us in Europe if he even continues on as a player next season. Kirchner should not under any circumstances be kept on. With Douglas gone without being replaced, Te'o on the way out and Kirchner hopefully not being kept on we have at least 3 spots open. We could argue that we need a back 3 player maybe as well as we seem to be lacking in the wing department at the moment.

I thought Kirchner got a two year deal ( maybe three) so will be definitely here next year.

Surprised that it somehow makes a difference to people where he is going. Does it really matter that it's Worcester rather than one of the better teams?

Kind of, yeah. Leaving because he doesn't think he's going to win stuff with us probably hurts that little bit more than him leaving because we can't afford him. That makes sense in my head anyway...

scott1974 wrote: »
    I thought Kirchner got a two year deal ( maybe three) so will be definitely here next year.

Really? I thought it was just a year extension. Well if that's the case I am even more disappointed with Leinster for agreeing to keep him on. He hasn't been terrible or anything, but he hasn't really offered a huge amount either. Isa, Ferg, Dave and probably Ringrose at this stage all over more in some ways or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd rather go all in and throw Ringrose straight into the 13 jersey next season. Fitz is our best wing and should be left there.

He's also our best 12 and probably 13 now too with Bens departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yes. Outta the way Te'o. Make way for Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Thornley mentioned somewhere recently that Leinster were on the serious hunt for a project 9 from NZ. Gutted to see Te'o going, but hopefully that somewhat confirms that Henshaw is on his way here!

Any mention of which NZ 9s they are going after? There's a few good ones that would be worth looking at.

This obsession with Henshaw going to Leinster has to stop. It would make more sense to go after one of McCluskey, Marshall, Cave or Payne. That would be much more beneficial for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Any mention of which NZ 9s they are going after? There's a few good ones that would be worth looking at.

This obsession with Henshaw going to Leinster has to stop. It would make more sense to go after one of McCluskey, Marshall, Cave or Payne. That would be much more beneficial for Ireland.

Olding! Olding! Olding! Olding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Olding! Olding! Olding! Olding!

Sorry. Forgot about him. Makes even more sense to leave Henshaw where he is and go after one of the Ulster boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    going where?

Both reddan and boss will be 36 next year, boss will be 37 before the season ends.

Theres NO WAY we can go into a season again with one of them as our number 1 SH, regardless if both are still under contract.
    We should have planned for succession 2 years ago, but didnt.

I agree we need a new 9 but if they are still there and with mcgrath will it be feasible? Surely one has to be gone at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

scott1974 wrote: »

Awesome stuff, imagine if we'd funneled that wage towards the keep Teo fund.... Still you can never have enough players with Darragh Fanning levels of talent in the squad, even better if they have a foreign name or a few caps....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Thank you, but it's so much easier to poach players out West than North. Just hope Connacht is trying to salvage Madigan out of this battle (from Bordeaux too). Will be useful to have two consistant outhalf for the big European competition for the boys in green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

connachta wrote: »
    Thank you, but it's so much easier to poach players out West than North. Just hope Connacht is trying to salvage Madigan out of this battle (from Bordeaux too). Will be useful to have two consistant outhalf for the big European competition for the boys in green

Is it poaching if it's the player pushing the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

LostArt wrote: »
    Is it poaching if it's the player pushing the move?

It is when for once, he's a real native Connacht guy. You don't have the same excuse you used for Cronin, McCarthy, Kearney...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It will to him if he's trying to displace 6 other lads and play for the Red Rose.

It's the name that has been mostly linked with a move to Leinster (by most media), people didn't pick it out of the air. Also what other names have been linked ...none that I can think of at the moment.
    I'm sure we'll see what Nucifora has in store in the new year. He doesn't give a hoot about the procinces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

That we can't compete with the likes of Worcester for spending power says something, but I would have thought that having seen how the Burgess experiment went so badly wrong Teo might have felt some loyalty and gratitude for being able to learn and adjust to Union here without the pressure.

Absolutely gutted.

Ringrose and Henshaw in the middle of the park for us though is a thrilling proposition if the former can get some quality time in the remainder of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement