Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    When was the last time that happened, i.e. that our season was over in April? 2004-05?

Nope. We went into the Celtic Cup semi final. The one where the incident with Holwell took place.

The season before, though, the CC was earlier in season. The season would have been over with the 4 losses in a row in February. Mathematically, we might have been able to make the top but it was all over in February for us. Mathematically, we'll still be able to make top 4 if we lose on Sunday but I'd be pretty sure it's over for us, if we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Greyian wrote: »
    Interestingly, our coach that season was a certain Mr. Kidney

And before he shafted us, he shafted... the Newport Gwent Dragons.

Buer wrote: »
    Afraid to say I'm of the opinion our entire season will be over in 9 days.

It might be, but would it be better to keep the season going for another week only to get hosed by Ulster?

It seems to me that the coach has said, right, I'm going to rest key guys for the Dragons because we've a decent chance of winning in Rodney Parade with the supporting cast but we'd have f**k all chance of winning in Ravenhill. I don't think anyone would disagree with that?

You play the first XV against Bath, then again a week later in Newport, then drag them all to Marseille, then back to Belfast five days later to go up against a very good side who've had two rest weeks during that period? That's not really feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nope. We went into the Celtic Cup semi final. The one where the incident with Holwell took place.

The season before, though, the CC was earlier in season. The season would have been over with the 4 losses in a row in February. Mathematically, we might have been able to make the top but it was all over in February for us. Mathematically, we'll still be able to make top 4 if we lose on Sunday but I'd be pretty sure it's over for us, if we do.

We'd need Connacht and/or Edinburgh to do us a favour to keep us in the running somewhat. If Ulster and Munster win but we lose then I think you're right.

And so if we do lose on Sunday we've to go back 11 years to find the last time we did so badly domestically? Ouch.

It seems to me that the coach has said, right, I'm going to rest key guys for the Dragons because we've a decent chance of winning in Rodney Parade with the supporting cast but we'd have f**k all chance of winning in Ravenhill. I don't think anyone would disagree with that?

You play the first XV against Bath, then again a week later in Newport, then drag them all to Marseille, then back to Belfast five days later to go up against a very good side who've had two rest weeks during that period? That's not really feasible.

It's the right call, no doubt about it.

It's the right call, no doubt about it.

I'm just quoting this so there's a permanent record of you agreeing with MOC...

• Advertisement

Looking ahead to next week;

Toulon have named Matt Giteau at 12 for their trip to Grenoble, Michalak continues at 10. Habana and Halfpenny are back in the side too, but it's very much a weakened side too (relatively speaking).

Edit: Clermont have gone one better and made 15 changes to their XV, yet can still name Rougerie, Stanley, Guildford...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Problem is, even with the rest this weekend it's still 5 days to turnaround to Ulster, it's going to be a massive task one way or the other, it's unlikely the same team will start both games one way or the other.

I'm just quoting this so there's a permanent record of you agreeing with MOC...

ak has been abusing his mod privileges again and has hacked my account. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. His disagreement with the selection is a clever bit of subterfuge. :D

Well played Andrew Trimble...

344737.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MOC will be on The Last Word on Today FM in a few mins.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    MOC will be on The Last Word on Today FM in a few mins.

Missed it. Anything of note said? How many times did he use the word environment? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Missed it. Anything of note said? How many times did he use the word environment? :pac:

I'd say 15-20 times.

Basically, he felt we were 1 or 2 passes away from a very good performance against Bath, it would be disappointing if we didn't either win the Champions Cup or reach the playoffs in the Pro 12, disruption caused by internationals, good relationship with Joe, BOD not missed a huge amount on the pitch (as he didn't play much for Leinster last season) but his input and drive etc was huge in the environment (:p).

Also, was asked a few times if he agreed with suggestions we needed a NIQ forward brought in, then asked if the Kirchener contract extension plus rumours of Isa's return were suggestive of coaching team feeling there were issues in the backline.

I've probably already forgotten a few things, but basically "the blokes in the environment don't let the criticism faze them, loss of internationals during international windows/camps causes lots of disruption"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

BOD and Hickie on Newstalk at the moment.

Greyian wrote: »
    I'd say 15-20 times.

Basically, he felt we were 1 or 2 passes away from a very good performance against Bath, it would be disappointing if we didn't either win the Champions Cup or reach the playoffs in the Pro 12, disruption caused by internationals, good relationship with Joe, BOD not missed a huge amount on the pitch (as he didn't play much for Leinster last season) but his input and drive etc was huge in the environment (:p).

Also, was asked a few times if he agreed with suggestions we needed a NIQ forward brought in, then asked if the Kirchener contract extension plus rumours of Isa's return were suggestive of coaching team feeling there were issues in the backline.

I've probably already forgotten a few things, but basically "the blokes in the environment don't let the criticism faze them, loss of internationals during international windows/camps causes lots of disruption"

I'd love to know how many times we've heard about how close we are to clicking......cheers.

I'd love to know how many times we've heard about how close we are to clicking......cheers.

In fairness, it's not only members of the coaching ticket who say that, I'm pretty sure I've heard a few posters here with the same sentiments.

I'm just worried by the fact than whenever we have clicked, we've gone and un-clicked pretty quickly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's been a while since we clicked

Just finished listening back to OTB rugby from Wednesday. Possibly mentioned in this thread already but GT said Stringer to Leinster is a possibility and is in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just finished listening back to OTB rugby from Wednesday. Possibly mentioned in this thread already but GT said Stringer to Leinster is a possibility and is in the pipeline.

Standing in the Anglesea Terrace watching Stringer in a blue jersey will be an experience.

Standing in the Anglesea Terrace watching Stringer in a blue jersey will be an experience.

If Stringer was at 9 and Isa was at 10 it might be enough to bring me to tears.

The re-sign David Holwell campaign starts here.

#weneverforgetweneverforgive :P

• Advertisement

Surely no one would actually be in favour of signing Stringer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought Stringer was looking for game time and that's not something he'd get when the players come back from the RWC.

If he wants to retire in Ireland it could be good for him but if he wants to keep playing it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn't he say last weekend that he has signed for another club? Who could that be, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

If we could get him for a 3 month contract yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »
    If we could get him for a 3 month contract yes.

But surely Boss is a better player than him, and would we prefer he plays or Luke McGrath during the World Cup? I don't see the need for him unless Boss is at the World Cup

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster have no need for Stringer. You need someone better than Reddan and Boss.

Sorry, I should mention, when discussing the Stringer signing, it was on the basis of it being a short term signing to cover the RWC.

In that instance, I could see the value of it especially in terms of working alongside Luke McGrath.

To be honest, I'd be very happy to have him around the camp to work on McGrath's passing but I'd want all the game time to stay with McGrath too. I entirely admire and respect Stringer but him in blue? That would take some adjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

awec wrote: »
    Leinster have no need for Stringer. You need someone better than Reddan and Boss.

I don't agree with that. It would be nice to have someone better than those two, but Leinster don't need someone better. They're both very experienced and still capable of playing to a high standard. The return of Sexton will help tremendously. He'll shoulder more responsibility and provide more clarity at half-back. Scrum-half isn't a pressing issue in my eyes. It's only a worry for the opening segment of the season as Leinster may need to rely on an inexperienced Nick McCarthy who will likely be on a delayed pre-season schedule. If Leinster don't make a short term signing then they'll probably have to look to the AIL at someone like Adam Griggs / Charlie Rock / Bobby Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You and him. Two traitors, together in blue at last.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    You and him. Two traitors, together in blue at last.

I believe Thomond is actually a spy.

He starts attending Leinster matches, then suddenly Munster beat Leinster home and away...very suspicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement