Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good move for Madigan , really going nowhere at Leinster , think he'll learn a lot in France - hopefully as centre , cause for all his talents he is not a 10 , can't consistently manage a game like a natural 10 , but could become a great centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

He's gotten worse as a ten and if he's anyones answer at 12, you're asking the wrong question, he has to move or stagnate and kill his chances of ever being a top class ten. Id second the poster who listed Mads and Teo as their favourite current player, losing two big line breaking threats is a massive blow.
    I hope he makes it, I always preferred him to Sexton and still maintain if he was given the two seasons to make mistakes and develop he would have been world class, as it is he has regressed to the point he lines up as a twelve playing ten and his breaking threat is all but nullified, disgrace how he wasn't developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

thebaz wrote: »
    Good move for Madigan , really going nowhere at Leinster , think he'll learn a lot in France - hopefully as centre , cause for all his talents he is not a 10 , can't consistently manage a game like a natural 10 , but could become a great centre

Don't think he'll be able to do much as a 12 in the Top 14, it's very physical and I think he'll struggle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Don't think he'll be able to do much as a 12 in the Top 14, it's very physical and I think he'll struggle there.

perhaps, but he's around D'Arcy size and he did ok ;)
    D'Arcy converted from full back , be great to see Madigan fulfil his potential , and nail down just one position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I should have kept my old sig :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hagz wrote: »
    I should have kept my old sig :(

You were the first person I thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watch him turn into a classic French goal kicking scrum half :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a fantastic move for him. Bordeaux are an up and coming team with some exciting backs and the biggest average attendance in France. If the 9s can take a lot of the decision making responsibility (proper French style!) then that could suit Madigan. This leaves a gap in the Leinster squad of the vital role of backup 10/utility back. If Nacewa can replicate the form he showed last night then he could be the answer for next year while Ross Byrne will hopefully mature into the 10 role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

It's a fantastic move for him. Bordeaux are an up and coming team with some exciting backs and the biggest average attendance in France. If the 9s can take a lot of the decision making responsibility (proper French style!) then that could suit Madigan. This leaves a gap in the Leinster squad of the vital role of backup 10/utility back. If Nacewa can replicate the form he showed last night then he could be the answer for next year while Ross Byrne will hopefully mature into the 10 role.

Cathal Marsh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

typhoony wrote: »
    has an academy player ever played for Ireland?

Alastair McKibben played for Ireland when he was still at school.....if that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This is why I think the top 14 could be good for Madigan, a proper little general inside him making decisions could really suit him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's the best for everyone he left and I wish him the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think it's the best for everyone he left and I wish him the best.
    interesting viewpoint. leinster went to thomond and kinda whipped them with the good man himself leading the strokes. i would send sexton on his way, (wherever he wants to go, he has most definitely lost his mojo) but that is the flouncer viewpoint. think you are shipping the wrong player

flouncer wrote: »
    interesting viewpoint. leinster went to thomond and kinda whipped them with the good man himself leading the strokes. i would send sexton on his way, (wherever he wants to go, he has most definitely lost his mojo) but that is the flouncer viewpoint. think you are shipping the wrong player

I think it's very early to say that Sexton has lost his mojo. He's also in for the long haul with a 4 year contract, he's not going and will not be sent anywhere. Munster were pretty poor if not awful and I don't think the win validates Madigan that much. I wouldn't agree with CFH that's it the best for everyone, Leinster are certainly worse off with Madigan gone. He's not the perfect 10 but he's been/would be invaluable at the very least as a utility player.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sexton is settling into a Leinster team far removed from what he previously played with, hardly a fair comparison.

Stheno wrote: »
    Sexton is settling into a Leinster team far removed from what he previously played with, hardly a fair comparison.
    all will become clear. just an opinion

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

all will become clear. just an opinion

Do you think he's past his best?

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you think he's past his best?
    if you read the reports about his performances in france and indeed the racing viewpoint of him i dont need to answer that question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Let Sexton go and hold onto Madigan?

Did we not just experience that exact scenario for the past two seasons?

Less than 12 months ago people were debating whether Sexton was the best out-half in the world. You don't just go off on holidays and come back an average player. The only thing that is going to affect Sexton in such a dramatic way is age, and he's nowhere near that stage of his life.

if you read the reports about his performances in france and indeed the racing viewpoint of him i dont need to answer that question

True but he was injured/unavailable for most of his time there. IMO there's some bitterness from the fact that he was available for nearly all the Ireland games for those two seasons but not Racing's.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a question imo as to whether he can regain the high level of form he played with prior to his departure. His Irish performances have been solid without being spectacular the last while.

I hope he does get back there, be a dark place for Irish and Leinster rugby if he can't.

There's definitely a question imo as to whether he can regain the high level of form he played with prior to his departure. His Irish performances have been solid without being spectacular the last while.

I hope he does get back there, be a dark place for Irish and Leinster rugby if he can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sad to see Madigan leave but I'm happy for him. I hope he gets a run starting at 10. At the moment he's our best 10 and he should get the start with Sexton having the opportunity to play his way back into form.

Histrionics don't help anyone. Sexton is a great player who is off form. He's not my boyfriend and I don't feel obliged to defend his recent form but selling him or saying he is finished, is stupid. He's just after changing team and his form is off.

Its not the end of the world and we have a good option at 10 in Madigan. He should be trusted in the short term while sexton settles in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

flouncer wrote:

The sensational tone of the quotes I heard from that article led me to believe it was more rhetorical flourish than cold hard analysis. Sorry you missed that

I have the day off today. Kids are in the creche and the work I intended to do from home is done in 1 hour instead of the predicted 4 (bit of a machine this morning).

So I'm going to watch a couple of Leinster matches / highlights in the build up to Fridays game which I'm once again taking the kids to. Feeling a bit more positive about Leinster, and the variables with new coaches etc in the 6N is getting me a bit more excited also.

Can people link below their favorite Leinster pro12 moments. I know there are some great Heineken rugby reels out there, but let's keep it Celtic league / Pro12 for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I have the day off today. Kids are in the creche and the work I intended to do from home is done in 1 hour instead of the predicted 4 (bit of a machine this morning).

So I'm going to watch a couple of Leinster matches / highlights in the build up to Fridays game which I'm once again taking the kids to. Feeling a bit more positive about Leinster, and the variables with new coaches etc in the 6N is getting me a bit more excited also.

Can people link below their favorite Leinster pro12 moments. I know there are some great Heineken rugby reels out there, but let's keep it Celtic league / Pro12 for today.

The 30-0 over munster abt 6 yrs ago. Cant link from phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

His first season with Racing went very well and he was well liked by the fans and club. All you need to do is look up the twitter feed or the press conferences. Second season he was out for a protracted period with concussion and as said above, was able to play for Ireland as the 6N coincided with his return to play (albeit missing the first match against Italy). He then suffered a further injury and was out again. He played a lot less matches in his last season which is why sentiment went against him.

A lot of the complaints about Sexton from France were that he played better for Ireland than he did for his club. The fact that Racing were playing turgid stuff had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

His first season with Racing went very well and he was well liked by the fans and club. All you need to do is look up the twitter feed or the press conferences. Second season he was out for a protracted period with concussion and as said above, was able to play for Ireland as the 6N coincided with his return to play (albeit missing the first match against Italy). He then suffered a further injury and was out again. He played a lot less matches in his last season which is why sentiment went against him.

A lot of the complaints about Sexton from France were that he played better for Ireland than he did for his club. The fact that Racing were playing turgid stuff had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Any chance that he was just crap? On all the evidence we have seen over the past 2 years, it would appear that he is not the player he was once deemed to be.
    I believe we will rue the loss of Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

Sexton was MOTM for Ireland in the RWC and against France in the 6N this year. He was nominated for IRB World Player of the Year in 2014. So, on the evidence "we have seen over the past 2 years" it would appear he has played some of his best ever rugby.

He has had a bad 12 months with injuries. To think that Ian Madigan is a better option for Leinster than him is ridiculous. He has had a bad month or so but looked much better in the home game against Toulon and was pretty good. Sexton at 70% is head and shoulders above Madigan at 100%.

He's not liked in France as his loyalties lay entirely with the Irish team. He barely played for Racing for large stretches of last season and announced he was leaving them very early in the season which was a poor PR move. However, his first season there (the one where he got nominated for world player of the year), he was their best player over the season and the only reason they were in the mix for the title at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aimee1 wrote: »
    The 30-0 over munster abt 6 yrs ago. Cant link from phone

Highlights:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement