Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's just a less physically demanding position that has a greater allowance for mistakes. It's a nice way to get a young player comfortable with the match day formalities, comfortable playing alongside senior personnel and opportunities to stretch their legs at a higher level. It does no harm to their development, only good. Pretty simple stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    Well Ringrose ahead of them was pretty telling. The guy is not a winger, nor had he shown any reason to be ahead of them on the wing.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing of anything, but the previous management was rewarding AIL form and the new management is obviously putting its trust in the youth and academy systems. Both are good, but I felt the idea of AIL players being rewarded would open up the AIL as a product people could get behind.
    I don't see how many pro12 supporters who don't attend AIL or have any intention to will do so because 25/26 year olds make it in pros.
    It isn't one or the other of management teams trusting Academy over AIL.
    .ak wrote: »
    Yes, I believe it does, from both sides of the fence; the players, particularly club based, and the fans. It's a woefully marketed domestic league and the casual fans have no idea it's on half the time.

For me McGrath was good enough to be involved during the WC, he's too good for AIL, I don't agree with GR being played ahead of other options on the wing, I still think Ringrose is a few years away from playing at senior level above pro12. I also hate seeing good centres on the wing.
    How do you change peoples approach to the club league? Many people want a platform/event etc that they can get at pro games. They don't get this at their local club ground. McGrath probably was good enough to have been looked at and used during the world cup but long term its better for Leinster to have Ringrose play on the wing. Ringrose is a nominated world u20 player of the year. He needs to be playing higher than the AIL. He needs pro12 games. He may be some time away from champions cup but he needs pro12 games and a lot of them. And plenty of the worlds best centres have learned on the wing. Ringrose is nearly 21. We cant over hype/talk up these guys like Ringrose but players of his talent need to be playing a lot of rugby at the highest level possible to grow and develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ringrose and Vdf aren't just two young lads doing a decent job. The stats indicate they were genuinely the best performers in the team yesterday. I don't think it's idol romanticism to be calling for them to continue their involvement. They have lots of advantages, no fatigue, they're difficult to analyse and they have hunger, but their current performances justify their selection up till now.

I also reject the idea that putting rr at wing was a waste. His skillet is quite transferable. He's kinda lanky and quick. Winger material.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ringrose and Vdf aren't just two young lads doing a decent job. The stats indicate they were genuinely the best performers in the team yesterday. I don't think it's idol romanticism to be calling for them to continue their involvement. They have lots of advantages, no fatigue, they're difficult to analyse and they have hunger, but their current performances justify their selection up till now.

I also reject the idea that putting rr at wing was a waste. His skillet is quite transferable. He's kinda lanky and quick. Winger material.

I was at a couple of games where he played on the wing, and he was lovely to watch. Probably gave him more confidence at 13 as well, he was a joy to watch yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Stheno wrote: »
    I was at a couple of games where he played on the wing, and he was lovely to watch. Probably gave him more confidence at 13 as well, he was a joy to watch yesterday.

Unlike some other potential changes, rr has not had the benefit of involvement with Joe before. Joe will not throw him in at the deep end without more time with him. There is a risk that Wales could run through him and set him back rather than fasttrack him international level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Unlike some other potential changes, rr has not had the benefit of involvement with Joe before. Joe will not throw him in at the deep end without more time with him. There is a risk that Wales could run through him and set him back rather than fasttrack him international level.

Which is why on the Ireland thread, I've suggested he be on the bench and not the starting 15? Sure he has loads of potential, but I don't think he's started even at CC level yet. Does well at the interpros but needs to get more experience.

Which is why on the Ireland thread, I've suggested he be on the bench and not the starting 15? Sure he has loads of potential, but I don't think he's started even at CC level yet. Does well at the interpros but needs to get more experience.

Squad involvement for the experiene during the 6N. Consistent run at 13 for Lei for the rest of the season. Bench in SA in the spring with a little game time. A start in a couple of the Autumn games. Then primed for 6N 2017.

Squad involvement for the experiene during the 6N. Consistent run at 13 for Lei for the rest of the season. Bench in SA in the spring with a little game time. A start in a couple of the Autumn games. Then primed for 6N 2017.

Yup that works for me, get involved with the senior players, be part of the squad, and get ready to be part of the team in 2017

Not bad for a then 21 year old!

Yup that works for me, get involved with the senior players, be part of the squad, and get ready to be part of the team in 2017

Not bad for a then 21 year old!

A similar pattern worked for one Brian Gerald O'Driscoll !

He doesn't seem to have learned as he is advocating RR be in the starting fifteen for this 6N!

• Advertisement

He doesn't seem to have learned as he is advocating RR be in the starting fifteen for this 6N!

His genius was an almost superhuman ability to do the right thing at the right decision-making nanosecond in the flow of a rugby match honed in endless hours on the pitches of Blackrock as a lad.
    It pains me to say it, but I dont think I have heard anything from him yet to suggest he is any more of a commentator than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MB678

O'Driscoll played for Ireland before he played for Leinster.

His genius was an almost superhuman ability to do the right thing at the right decision-making nanosecond in the flow of a rugby match.
    It pains me to say it, but I dont think I have heard anything from him yet to suggest he is any more of a commentator than the rest of us.

It's probably an awful thing to say but I find him a tad dull as a commentator. I think I kinda expect some sort of inside track from him which I know I shouldn't, but he comes out with black then Leo comes out with white.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's not really advocating that though. He tweeted that Ireland could do worse than starting him, which is something completely different. Haven't seen him say any more than that?

It's probably an awful thing to say but I find him a tad dull as a commentator. I think I kinda expect some sort of inside track from him which I know I shouldn't, but he comes out with black then Leo comes out with white.

My point was there is no reason really, that he should be in interesting commentator (no reason he shouldnt either, but that would be just coincidence of being both great commentator and great player). He probably cannot really explain his specialness himself. It certainly wasnt from any great rugby insight that he can now use from the commentary box instead of down on the pitch.

MB678 wrote: »
    O'Driscoll played for Ireland before he played for Leinster.

Indeed. So RR can be ahead of BOD with an even better ramped, yet steep, introduction to international rugger.

Indeed. So RR can be ahead of BOD with an even better ramped, yet steep, introduction to international rugger.

Did BOD really play for Ireland before Leinster?

Yes he did. First cap was against Australia.

Yes. At the time, we spent a year waiting to get the dream team centre partnership Horgan-O'Driscoll together in a Leinster shirt. It seemed a match made in heaven. Who'd a thunk it would have turned out like it did, with 'too slow for a winger' Horgan ending up outside the Drickster rather than inside.

Amazing how much the game has changed isn't it?
    I know a guy who, at the time, would rather play for his AIL club than play for his province.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was no Celtic League back then just the HEC and 6 Inter pro games. Pro provincial rugby back then was very much in it's infancy with the AIL being the big dog.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There was no Celtic League back then just the HEC and 6 Inter pro games. Pro provincial rugby back then was very much in it's infancy with the AIL being the big dog.

Correct but this situation was particularly funny when comparing as he probably played more times for the BaaBaas than his own province.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hagz wrote: »
    College plays a role certainly for the young lads. I can't see VdF or Leavy leaving while they are still in UCD. SOB, Ruddock and Heaslip aren't going anywhere while they occupy the starting positions.

Robbie Henshaw is studying in NUIG. Just sayin'.... ;)

Zzippy wrote: »

Ah sure he can transfer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Zzippy wrote: »

Indeed.
    Henshaw is studying for an arts degree at NUIG, and that was a factor in his decision to remain in Galway.

"I still have three years left in my degree – that's a vital part of my life as well. I'm studying geography and economics, maybe looking to teaching when I'm finished," he added.

Hagz wrote: »
    Indeed.

I'll not risk a ban by saying what UCD Commerce students used call such an arts degree.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'll not risk a ban by saying what UCD Commerce students used call such an arts degree.

I remember the toilet roll holders in the restaurant toilets used to have "Pull Here For Arts Degree" written on them :)

I remember the toilet roll holders in the restaurant toilets used to have "Pull Here For Arts Degree" written on them :)

Ah now, what I was going to say wasn't that bad.

We used call it a BA in bull****

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ah now, what I was going to say wasn't that bad.

We used call it a BA in bull****

If Henshaw, and other Arts students, did 5 full days in college instead of 4 hours a week, he'd have gotten his degree 2 years ago and be at Leinster already :D

• Advertisement

If Henshaw, and other Arts students, did 5 full days in college instead of 4 hours a week, he'd have gotten his degree 2 years ago and be at Leinster already :D

In my day, Arts students did about twelve hours a week!
    Has it gotten harder?

Anyway back ot, I really like the system that enables players to get an education for the future while developing their game.

Has anyone seen the film out recently about the affect of concussion on AFL players?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement