Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

any update on lukes injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

gamma001 wrote: »

Another week? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

vaguely remember something about a further update at the team announcement on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I reckon Moore is gone myself. Just a feeling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Times are going with Ian Nagle signing for us during the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Munster prop cronin now on the way to England. !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Times are going with Ian Nagle signing for us during the Summer.

What a waste of time. Would have hoped we'd try make a decent signing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

What a waste of time. Would have hoped we'd try make a decent signing there.

I think these are the standard of signings we should expect I the future. We can't compete with the premiership or Top 14 money.

scott1974 wrote: »
    I think these are the standard of signings we should expect I the future. We can't compete with the premiership or Top 14 money.

The standard is a 27 year old who hasn't played for two years and has achieved precisely nothing in the game? I know we can't compete with English and French money but no I don't agree with you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ian Nagle?! Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

The standard is a 27 year old who hasn't played for two years and has achieved precisely nothing in the game? I know we can't compete with English and French money but no I don't agree with you really.

You have to hand it to his agent, he drummed up a fair bit of interest Before the Cambridge game

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nagle!? Even when he was playing regularly he wasn't exactly lighting it up (that one game aside). What's he going to be like after a couple of years out of the game after a period of constant injury when he was contracted? Talk about underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nagle!? Even when he was playing regularly he wasn't exactly lighting it up (that one game aside). What's he going to be like after a couple of years out of the game after a period of constant injury when he was contracted? Talk about underwhelming.

I think it's just Leinster taking a punt on him, I doubt they've designs on him playing much of a role next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nagle?? Id rather leave a gap in the roster than Nagle.

Dear Mick Dawson, please spend our money on developing locks from our own stable than on rubbish buys like this. Id hate to threaten Ed O'Donoghue's place in history.

This really had better be a miscommunication or an agent flying a kite.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster starting to catch the Ulster bug of signing poor players to fill a squad?

awec wrote: »
    Leinster starting to catch the Ulster bug of signing poor players to fill a squad?

Nah we've been at that for years. Think the likes of Newland, Denton etc.

EDIT: Sean McCarthy!

I can only hope he's seriously cheap.

Yeah, mostly Ulster players as it happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I would of thought Gavin Thornbury or Tadhg Beirne getting game time would be a better option then Ian Nagle!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Was it Nagle who went to the states for some super dooper business thing?

• Advertisement

So, Nagle's most recent CV consists of a loan deal from Munster to Newcastle two years ago, during which he played two games and apparently has not played professional rugby since then. 20 months ago. His honours amount to a B&I cup.

He is playing for Cambridge University, at age 27.

I'd really love someone in Leinster to explain this one, if true. Especially as we have Toner and Kearney and a couple of promising academy / young pro locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would have thought Nagle to Ulster made more sense - they seem in most need for locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

At the very least, I hope it's only on a 3-month trial deal or something.
    Giving a full contract to a guy with zero track record at pro level, a dodgy injury history and no meaningful rugby in years would be a serious gamble and a slap in the face to the younger guys in the set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

This game looks like it's going to come a week too soon for Luke unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am reasonably happy with Ian Nagle as a signing to be honest. I'd rather Nagle than Sykes for instance. He had a lot of potential but a crap injury profile. I don't know why people here are mad we've signed him, he's not taking up an NIQ spot and he probably doesn't cost very much money.

It's not like previous signings who have actively wasted space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Selliott190

Another in a series of awful singing by leinster at lock.. should be giving Molony, Kearney and Thornbury as much gametime as possible.

And if we are going to make a IT signing we'd be better off with players who have shown an ability to stay healthy and who have played pro rugby in recent years either Darren O'Shea or Mark Flanagan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Another in a series of awful singing by leinster at lock.. should be giving Molony, Kearney and Thornbury as much gametime as possible.

And if we are going to make a IT signing we'd be better off with players who have shown an ability to stay healthy and who have played pro rugby in recent years either Darren O'Shea or Mark Flanagan.

Yeah was just about to say they should've listened to the mole and gone after O'Shea

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if hes coming for buttons and has to compete for a senior squad position with the academy lads, then hell why not, it would be a win / win. We dont know the ins and outs of the deal. At least he should be somewhat fit after a season with cambridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Who knows maybe Leo wants to try work with him, perhaps they were in an Ireland camp together back in 2010/11 and he impressed him.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am reasonably happy with Ian Nagle as a signing to be honest. I'd rather Nagle than Sykes for instance. He had a lot of potential but a crap injury profile. I don't know why people here are mad we've signed him, he's not taking up an NIQ spot and he probably doesn't cost very much money.

It's not like previous signings who have actively wasted space.

We currently have Toner, Maccer, Kearney, Denton, Beirne and Thornbury in the squad (Triggs will be gone at the end of the season). Ross Molony is coming through the Academy (and is already ahead of Beirne and Thornbury). At lock what we need over and above anything else is a dog. Someone like Leo or Maccer or Browne who will provide enough power behind the TH and enough grunt around the park. That's what is lacking from the list above. Nagle was never really that guy when he was playing IIRC. And he's barely played at all in 3 years. So where does he fit in?

Players like Sykes and Roux (and Douglas) were exactly the type of players we needed. It was unfortunate that none worked out but the idea was the right one. Nagle is just going to be another Denton, only one that hasn't been playing in years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement