Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

molloyjh wrote: »
    Players like Sykes and Roux (and Douglas) were exactly the type of players we needed. It was unfortunate that none worked out but the idea was the right one. Nagle is just going to be another Denton, only one that hasn't been playing in years.

In fairness, you can't really put Roux in the same boat as Sykes and Douglas considering he stayed playing in Ireland with a team that gave him matches to play. He was injured for a lot of his 2 seasons with Leinster prior to being loaned out on the 3rd season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Would have thought Nagle to Ulster made more sense - they seem in most need for locks

You're alright thanks. Wouldn't want to deprive Leinster of this addition to their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In fairness, you can't really put Roux in the same boat as Sykes and Douglas considering he stayed playing in Ireland with a team that gave him matches to play. He was injured for a lot of his 2 seasons with Leinster prior to being loaned out on the 3rd season.

I'm just putting him into the bracket of tough TH locks who didn't work out at Leinster, nothing more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm just putting him into the bracket of tough TH locks who didn't work out at Leinster, nothing more.

I don't get why you are suggesting he didn't work out at Leinster. He was loaned to Connacht initially for half a season to get game time. They extended it and then signed him on. My expectation there is that if Leinster had the opportunity to give him that game time, he'd still be here. Are you pointing at 2 the long injuries he had? The first one which came off being dropped in a line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Selliott190

I don't get why you are suggesting he didn't work out at Leinster. He was loaned to Connacht initially for half a season to get game time. They extended it and then signed him on. My expectation there is that if Leinster had the opportunity to give him that game time, he'd still be here. Are you pointing at 2 the long injuries he had? The first one which came off being dropped in a line out.

He quite clearly didn't work out for leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I would say he is saying it because he most definitely did not work out in Leinster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nagle?? Id rather leave a gap in the roster than Nagle.

Dear Mick Dawson, please spend our money on developing locks from our own stable than on rubbish buys like this. Id hate to threaten Ed O'Donoghue's place in history.

This really had better be a miscommunication or an agent flying a kite.
    In fairness, we do have a record of signing a duff lock nearly every year, it'd be shame to break the streak.

Maybe you think I'm passing some form of judgement on him or on Leinster. I'm not. I'm just saying it didn't work out. He left so that kind of proves the point. The reasons for it are irrelevant in terms of the point I'm making. We should be going for that kind of lock and Nagle isn't that kind of lock.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Do people really think Triggs will only last one season? I've really liked what I've seen of him to date and think he'd be worth at least a couple of seasons more, if he's willing to stay.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »
    Do people really think Triggs will only last one season? I've really liked what I've seen of him to date and think he'd be worth at least a couple of seasons more, if he's willing to stay.

not sure theres room for him with a contract extension, unless M Kearney turns into a lame duck.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »

Better off investing in Irish

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Better off investing in Irish

triggs or nagle? .... hummmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If McCarthy has another season in him, and we have Toner, Kearney, Denton and Molony, then maybe we can live without Triggs but might be no harm to keep him anyway.

Nagle being anything more than a B&I filler would be a bonus.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    triggs or nagle? .... hummmmmmm

Triggs getting gametime or Molony or Kearney?

Not to mention Thornbury who will need gametime if he is going to develop.. players aren't going to improve on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Are you seriously trying to argue that Roux did work out out at Leinster?

I wouldn't rule out him successfully returned to Leisnter at some point, but I don't see how you can suggest his first stint here worked out for Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nah we've been at that for years. Think the likes of Newland, Denton etc.

EDIT: Sean McCarthy!

Leinster wrote the book on poor signings, and to a level that is still the benchmark: Edit : Eddie Hekanui.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ian Nagle??? Do Leinster have a "transfer committee"?..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I don't know enough about Nagle to have a stong opinion, but from what I have read here, I am not enthused.

As regards Roux, I think a lot of us were disappointed in how he got on at Leinster - my own expectations were probably too high; after all, he was pretty young when he arrived. And he was dogged by injuries. But I'm delighted that he has done well at Connacht - he's big lump of a lad who could be really really useful.

I would hope that McCarthy has AT LEAST another season in him - he has certainly put his hand up this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Ah here, think Nagle is getting a lot of flak.. Give'em a chance.. He's a very talented and big SR who copped injury after injury at munster and got demoralised.. There's a fine player there who will really benefit under Leo.. I agree he's not a TH lock but he'll take some of the load of Dev during the season.. F**k it, he's better player than Tom Denton and, while harsh, I'd be amazed if Beirne/Molony are ever really powerful enough to feature in the row at European/International level.

As far as TH locks, Luke Romano is out of contract at the end of 2016 and he would fit perfectly alongside Toner.. Pony up the cash and get it done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I wouldn't see Nagle signing as someone to compete with Toner but as someone to compete with Denton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Triggs getting gametime or Molony or Kearney?

Not to mention Thornbury who will need gametime if he is going to develop.. players aren't going to improve on the bench.

Ian Madigan made an international career because of his abilities on the bench, and got himself a well paid gig in Bordeaux as a result ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah, mostly Ulster players as it happens ;)

Yeah, Boss has been pure rubbish for Leinster.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't see Nagle signing as someone to compete with Toner but as someone to compete with Denton.

Denton is a TH lock though, is Nagle? I don't think he is from recollection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Nagle should be no where near the right side of the scrum; hes too light for a tight head lump; This is exactly the reason Munster's scrum is so weak at the moment. They are playing two light rangey locks behind the front row in Ryan and Foley; no heft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

And to be honest for all his weight Denton isn't great when behind the tight head anyway; The scrum usually capitulates whenever McCarthy leaves the field.

The thing is at scrum time Denton is better in that position than Molony, which at least partly explains his selection. It seems to me that Nagle will be competing directly with Molony, or at least providing back-up to Molony.

The thing is at scrum time Denton is better in that position than Molony, which at least partly explains his selection. It seems to me that Nagle will be competing directly with Molony, or at least providing back-up to Molony.

It makes no sense what so ever... Nagle is bang average and injury prone. Signing a player that could potentially take gametime from Molony.. just awful planning and player development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

hype101 wrote: »
    As far as TH locks, Luke Romano is out of contract at the end of 2016 and he would fit perfectly alongside Toner.. Pony up the cash and get it done!

Now that's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

leftleg wrote: »
    Nagle should be no where near the right side of the scrum; hes too light for a tight head lump; This is exactly the reason Munster's scrum is so weak at the moment. They are playing two light rangey locks behind the front row in Ryan and Foley; no heft

This thing about TH locks seems to be a bigger deal to Leinster folk than anywhere else in the world. Ok there's usually a jumper/grafter split but I don't think its the end of the world to go out there with two rangy locks.Is it something to do with Brad Thorne for ye?
    Munster scrum has been mostly very solid this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

This thing about TH locks seems to be a bigger deal to Leinster folk than anywhere else in the world. Ok there's usually a jumper/grafter split but I don't think its the end of the world to go out there with two rangy locks.Is it something to do with Brad Thorne for ye?
    Munster scrum has been mostly very solid this season.

Yeah, just had a quick flick through stats looking at locks at all the provinces. I looked at maybe 11 or 12 and apart from three they all weighed in at 113-117kg. I think all except for Dev were listed 6'4" or 6'5".

The exceptions were Toner at 124kg and Alan O'Connor and Dave Foley at 107kg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement