Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There are lots of teams with awful tens not making the mistakes we're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    There are lots of teams with awful tens not making the mistakes we're making.

Well certainly our 9 or 10 didn't force our back row to go missing for 10 minutes against the Dragons, certainly.

But specifically looking at those things in the control of a 9/10, which team with "awful" half backs aren't making the mistakes we're making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

molloyjh wrote: »
    In theory yes absolutely. Unfortunately that was my position in the summer too. This season has seriously dented my confidence in that happening sadly.

We'll have better personnel and the RWC won't make too much odds overall. Cullen will have learned from this season. The only constant really will be MOC....

Yes, I'm optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I watched the 2nd half against the Dragons again today, at no point at all were static ball carriers a problem for us. It just wasn't an issue.

The problem was our exit strategy compounded by very soft penalties conceded by our forwards (Marshall/Ryan/Murphy in succession right around the same point as Te'os sin binning. The same guys all missed crucial tackles).

We conceded 17 points in a short space of time and actually when we came out the other side of that we were quite aggressive and made good ground. Our attack wasn't an issue against the Dragons, and it certainly wasn't due to static carriers. (Sorry to focus on that one point)

I haven't watched it back but on two separate occasions in the second half, Ryan took the ball standing still, looked at the Dragons defense advancing for a coulple of seconds like a star struck child, then got tackled behind the gain line. I don't know how that can't be considered a problem. If we lose 20 or 30 yards field position while in possession of the ball, I'd consider it an issue. I would agree, attacking certainly wasn't our problem against Dragons, lack of control was. My point was more in general terms about the season, even with our big ball carriers in the bath game, we ended up seeing this issue with static carriers, for me wouldn't happen if the team was playing off more set patterns. Particularly when there is a lack of confidence through out the team a more structured approach is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

But you can't play that way for 80 minutes, there isn't a team in Europe who can play that way for 80 minutes and remain competitive over a season of rugby. That's just absolutely not an option and there is no team that plays like that, or has done so successfully in recent history.

The reason we can't make a change at 10 is because the replacement is even more incompetent in the problem areas, he even shows the same issues under Schmidt despite Murray being there. However I would be happy to consider starting Madigan at this stage if we have nothing left to play for (I like Gopperth but giving him game time gains us nothing long term), I'd actually be happier to do that, unless they want Madigan to play 12 to offer an option outside Sexton.

You HAVE to be able to play without the ball to win in the modern game, and that involves having a strong method of disposal. It's not an option to just ignore that part of the game. Abandoning it is not an option, the requirement is to fix it. The answer next season, as far as I'm concerned is the return of Sexton for all of our key games (injury permitting). The long term answer (which requires us to be able to do this with a 2nd string) is a new 9 (plus hopefully the emergence of McGrath) and development of a reliable alternative at 10 (hopefully Ross Byre). I see no reason why we can't get most of the way there next year.

I'm not ignoring any aspect of the game though, nor am I advocating playing the same way for 80 minutes. All I'm saying is that we should not be actively seeking to play a game that we simply cannot implement. There's surely more than one way to play without the ball and ensure territory at the same time?

As I said I'm not sure what game plan to implement instead. Perhaps we should look to be less ambitious with our kicks from hand and put the ball into the stands more? Slow it down and either try to compete at the line-out or shut them down off first phase (which against someone like Dragons should be do-able). Again though our defence of late, as well as our discipline, has been fairly poor so it's hard to implement that to great effect. But then the problems there are easier to fix than our inability to play the longer territory game....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

https://twitter.com/MocMocout

Well at least someone is trying to do something about the issue and expressing their opinion. And judging by the support it isn't just a few lone voices - the lone voices seem to be more those hanging on to the Jonny-will-save-us dream.
    Leinster supporters need to take action and ensure we get back on track.

Look, he was worth a punt. These things are always a gamble. He might even be good for someone else. But it hasn't worked out with Leinster. Call it quits and move on. Best for all concerned.

Well at least someone is trying to do something about the issue and expressing their opinion. And judging by the support it isn't just a few lone voices - the lone voices seem to be more those hanging on to the Jonny-will-save-us dream.

It has a pitiful following by Twitter standards, and it's more than enough for the pitiful excuse for fans behind the charade.

Yes, I fully endorse the proposal that these supporters vote with their feet and never return to the RDS ever again. Ever. That'll show 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

It's euro semi final week support leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

But you can't play that way for 80 minutes, there isn't a team in Europe who can play that way for 80 minutes and remain competitive over a season of rugby. That's just absolutely not an option and there is no team that plays like that, or has done so successfully in recent history.

The reason we can't make a change at 10 is because the replacement is even more incompetent in the problem areas, he even shows the same issues under Schmidt despite Murray being there. However I would be happy to consider starting Madigan at this stage if we have nothing left to play for (I like Gopperth but giving him game time gains us nothing long term), I'd actually be happier to do that, unless they want Madigan to play 12 to offer an option outside Sexton.

You HAVE to be able to play without the ball to win in the modern game, and that involves having a strong method of disposal. It's not an option to just ignore that part of the game. Abandoning it is not an option, the requirement is to fix it. The answer next season, as far as I'm concerned is the return of Sexton for all of our key games (injury permitting). The long term answer (which requires us to be able to do this with a 2nd string) is a new 9 (plus hopefully the emergence of McGrath) and development of a reliable alternative at 10 (hopefully Ross Byre). I see no reason why we can't get most of the way there next year.

This. Dragons game was a great example. Before we even scored the first try I could tell the way we're playing that it was only sustainable by about 60 min. We absolutely ran everything.

The final 20 was made for kicking the ball and playing territory. We just struggle in that regard because our kickers are so loose right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Douglas is out for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

@RuaidhriOC Kane Douglas is out for the season, back injury requires surgery. Shane Jennings unlikely to be fit for Toulon

TBH once he was ruled out of the Toulon match it makes very little odds if he is or is not available for the league run in.

He hasn't been the physical force we needed him to be so hopefully a decent break and a proper preseason will stand to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

On a different note... has anyone else's Twitter and Instragram a/c's been bombarded by Leinster Rugby trying to sell season tickets.
    I haven't noticed this sort of push to sell tickets before...

Look, he was worth a punt. These things are always a gamble. He might even be good for someone else. But it hasn't worked out with Leinster. Call it quits and move on. Best for all concerned.

Where's the Leo out account? Shure it's all MOC's fault isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

scott1974 wrote: »
    On a different note... has anyone else's Twitter and Instragram a/c's been bombarded by Leinster Rugby trying to sell season tickets.
    I haven't noticed this sort of push to sell tickets before...

No but the video is hilariously cringe worthy imo

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bahahahaha that's truly awful. "I knew, I'd made it across the line, I'd made it to the holy land". :pac: :pac:

Need to ask Ulster how to make promo vids lads.

OurDS

Blood... COURSING through my veins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

awec wrote: »
    Bahahahaha that's truly awful. "I knew, I'd made it across the line, I'd made it to the holy land"

Its just so bad....so so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Oh God, that'd nearly want to make me give back my season ticket. Someone please delete that. And wipe it from my memory while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hahah haven't watched it yet. Altho I do love the line 'Play our Part' and then using Madigan as the lead... Play your part Ian.... Play your part... (read: 2nd fiddle)

It's nearly as bad as the stuff this lot come out with...

It's nearly as bad as the stuff this lot come out with...

Please spoiler tag this. Awec doesn't deserve to see that again.

That's enough S**acens videos on this thread. Don't want to be throwing up my lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

WTF were the marketing team thinking?! I do wonder about the marketing and PR team at Leinster...really awful at times

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

its_phil wrote: »
    WTF were the marketing team thinking?! I do wonder about the marketing and PR team at Leinster...really awful at times

Yeah. They've done a shocking job.

I heard MOC scripted, designed sets, filmed, produced and directed that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Yeah, you're not wrong... Pi$$ed a lot of ST holders off with their "justifications" for price rises on tickets for next season and backing it up with "if you can't afford it, there are cheaper options".

Feeling amongst some of the ST holders I was talking to recently is that they're now starting the process of pricing some of the better seats prohibitively in order to leave plenty of space for corporates when the new stand is developed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

its_phil wrote: »

In fairness some of their videos in recent times have been absolutely brilliant.

And then there's the Across the Laighin videos which I think are a welcome addition.

But yeh, that video is truly awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement