Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hagz wrote: »
    Jordi Murphy has raised himself to another level this season. Considering he doesn't make a fully fit back-row he's some player to have.
    He does now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He does now.

You'd have him ahead of Rhys Ruddock would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

On that basis of today? Yes.

He's ahead of Ruddock as of the last 4 months. He's probably close to being ahead of O'Mahony, maybe even already there for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Gosh I'm not sure. It is certainly open for debate but Ruddock was in storming form before his injury troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Murphys work rate was phenomenal today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Memories are very short. If Ruddock had been fully fit, he'd have been starting today. Murphy was very good but Ruddock would have been the right call for today. He has a level of power that few can match.

The gap has narrowed hugely at this point though and given Ruddock's injuries, Murphy might well remain in the side as he develops now as he experiences a higher level with both Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ruddock brings a level of power that I haven't seen since Ferris, incredible ability to drive forward with the ball. Not as explosive as SOB, but stronger I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He's probably close to being ahead of O'Mahony, maybe even already there for Ireland.

He was brilliant today for Leinster and probably one of the best, if not the best, players on the pitch. But he's nowhere near to POM right now, just look at how many media outlets, domestic and abroad, had POM as the best 6 in the 6N.

This isn't knee jerk reaction from today (but obviously today puts it in the spotlight) as I've already commented on here about this but do people see Madigan as the long term 12 for Leinster? Will Noel Reid potentially put a lot of pressure on him next season?

If Sexton is front line goal kicker, is there a place for Madigan in the team and, if not, who are the other options? Reid is the obvious one but are there other challengers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    This isn't knee jerk reaction from today (but obviously today puts it in the spotlight) as I've already commented on here about this but do people see Madigan as the long term 12 for Leinster? Will Noel Reid potentially put a lot of pressure on him next season?

If Sexton is front line goal kicker, is there a place for Madigan in the team and, if not, who are the other options? Reid is the obvious one but are there other challengers?

Madigan had a howler today, and it is hard not to think of that - I'm sure he's gutted. Maybe he'll be better at 12 with Sexton at 10, but I must say, I rate Reid as a 12. It'll be interesting to see how Madigan fairs next season.

its_phil wrote: »
    He was brilliant today for Leinster and probably one of the best, if not the best, players on the pitch. But he's nowhere near to POM right now, just look at how many media outlets, domestic and abroad, had POM as the best 6 in the 6N.

POM had a bit of an average six nations and despite 2 good games last year against a poor Scotland and Wales he went missing / injured for the rest of the tournament. In his starts for Ireland during this year's tournament Murphy outplayed O'Mahony and no amount of handbags and intense anthem singing will change that fact.

Great to have both players but I think Murphy is starting to edge the contest there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know about Reid as you barely see him play. This season he'd 4 games in Oct, 1 in Nov, 1 in Dec, and 1 in Jan.

He'll be 25 next month too so who knows.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Madigan had a howler today, and it is hard not to think of that - I'm sure he's gutted. Maybe he'll be better at 12 with Sexton at 10, but I must say, I rate Reid as a 12. It'll be interesting to see how Madigan fairs next season.

What is interesting is I expect Reid and Te'o to get multiple games together during the RWC. If they strike up a good partnership (and I think their games could click really well), Madigan will have a job to break them up.

corny wrote: »
    Murphys work rate was phenomenal today

He was one of our best players today IMO. Doubt Ruddock would have done better.

It's odd, I thought our back row all played really well but when I think about it, Armitage and Masoe were the best Toulon players. Masoe was sheer class today.

Really good battle between two great back rows.

It's odd, I thought our back row all played really well but when I think about it, Armitage and Masoe were the best Toulon players. Masoe was sheer class today.

Really good battle between two great back rows.

Armitage was exceptional when he came on. Caused us all kinds of problems and he just has such a nose for the breakdown and his timing is unreal the way he sometimes delays his dip for the ball or intentionally lets the first player get cleared out before going in for a certain steal.

He is as natural a breakdown expert as you will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know about Reid as you barely see him play. This season he'd 4 games in Oct, 1 in Nov, 1 in Dec, and 1 in Jan.

He'll be 25 next month too so who knows.

Yes, but take Madigan's goalkicking out of the equation and suddenly you're comparing them based purely on ability at 12. Not sure how far ahead he is on that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think he can count himself as poorly treated. Was in great form, had a bit of an injury and hasn't been heard much of since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Armitage was exceptional when he came on. Caused us all kinds of problems and he just has such a nose for the breakdown and his timing is unreal the way he sometimes delays his dip for the ball or intentionally lets the first player get cleared out before going in for a certain steal.

He is as natural a breakdown expert as you will see.

I thought he was good too but his first turnover looked illegal to me. He was the tackler and never released the player to make the turnover. He's such an "expert" in that area that ref's don't penalise him.. or afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've said it before but I am not sure what future Madigan has at Leinster.

He is definitely not going to be your 10. He is not a particularly great 12. His best position is 22. Does that fit in with his ambitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I've said it before but I am not sure what future Madigan has at Leinster.

He is definitely not going to be your 10. He is not a particularly great 12. His best position is 22. Does that fit in with his ambitions?

I think the answer could well be at 12, but he needs to focus on that and improve a great deal. I'm not sure if he will.

I think the best option for him in the long term is to leave Leinster and become a starting 10 elsewhere, he'd probably need to take a step down first and find a team with the time to develop him and a patient coach who has experience with 10s like himself.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A word for big dev today, though he was immense and the best lock out there. Pretty much owned bakkies in the Line out. Linked up well in the Line and id say his tackle rate was huge too.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    A word for big dev today, though he was immense and the best lock out there. Pretty much owned bakkies in the Line out. Linked up well in the Line and id say his tackle rate was huge too.

Absolutely. There were some seriously high class locks on the field today and Toner was the best of them all. He was extremely composed throughout and did trojan work in the mauls as well as carrying very solidly. He put some ghosts to bed from last season where he was all at sea in this game. I thought McCarthy was very effective but was dead on his feet after 80 minutes.

I haven't seen him mentioned yet but I thought Heaslip was superb too. Was very clever in his footwork, gaining yards and saved our bacon at one or two scrums although even he was beaten by a couple where the ball came shooting back between himself and his flanker. Set up the mauls really well with his work in the line out. Did a good job leading the side, communicating well and taking Healy away once instantly when he was starting to mouth.

sydthebeat wrote: »

And could I put in a word for his partner in the second row, Mike McCarthy? I thought he had a good day too and put in a monumental effort, as was required from both our locks today, given we only had Marshall on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Disappointing Leinster lost today. Next season I hope and expect better performances from them along with Ulster & Munster. Connaught also needs to come into their own. It seems the French will have their All French finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Absolutely. There were some seriously high class locks on the field today and Toner was the best of them all. He was extremely composed throughout and did trojan work in the mauls as well as carrying very solidly. He put some ghosts to bed from last season where he was all at sea in this game. I thought McCarthy was very effective but was dead on his feet after 80 minutes.

I haven't seen him mentioned yet but I thought Heaslip was superb too. Was very clever in his footwork, gaining yards and saved our bacon at one or two scrums although even he was beaten by a couple where the ball came shooting back between himself and his flanker. Set up the mauls really well with his work in the line out. Did a good job leading the side, communicating well and taking Healy away once instantly when he was starting to mouth.

All in all, it really was a fine effort from the pack. McCarthy fine game also I thought.

It was a monumental effort today in Marseille. It'll take some courage to be ready for Ravenhill on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

T'eo at 12 and luke at 13 is something Id like to see tried for a few games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

vienne86 wrote: »
    It was a monumental effort today in Marseille. It'll take some courage to be ready for Ravenhill on Friday night.

Was going to go, but will wait to see the team and whether its a serious game or not. Still feels a bit of a pointless boot up the M1. They players are professionals but surely must feels its a lost cause as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement