Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A loss in Ulster and that's the season.

A win though and we still live in the comp for another week.

I think there's still another twist in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

CatFromHue wrote: »

We'd need to win and deny them a bonus, that's a big big ask in Ravenhill of the back of 100 mins today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

A win in Ravenhill would mean we'd probably be at least interested on the final day of the season.

I just think the guys who played today will be absolutely spent and the guys who didn't play today don't have the ability. Probably Bent, Furlong and Dave Kearney are the only ones I'd like to see in the 23 who weren't involved today. Reid too maybe, is he fit these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Great performance by the players today, they gave it absolutely everything and it really all hinged on bad pass I'm afraid. With Sexton in team next year, there isn't the same requirement to play Madigan per say. Like others have said, Madigan finds himself at a cross roads. He is a quality goal kicker, but is he an international 12? If Jackson has a strong end to season, he is probably back in pole position as sexton's back up. I can't see any way how Madigan can be a regular starter at 12 for Ireland given our strength in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Brewster wrote: »
    Great performance by the players today, they gave it absolutely everything and it really all hinged on bad pass I'm afraid. With Sexton in team next year, there isn't the same requirement to play Madigan per say. Like others have said, Madigan finds himself at a cross roads. He is a quality goal kicker, but is he an international 12? If Jackson has a strong end to season, he is probably back in pole position as sexton's back up. I can't see any way how Madigan can be a regular starter at 12 for Ireland given our strength in this position.

Great performance is stretching it. Full marks for effort (what else should we expect?) But a serious shortage of skill and technique in numerous areas was the cause of the loss and we really can't complain.
    Sorry to say but Leinster were by a wide margin the least impressive of the four semi finalists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

stephen_n wrote: »
    We'd need to win and deny them a bonus, that's a big big ask in Ravenhill of the back of 100 mins today.

It's not just Ulster who could fall at the last hurdle.

The Ospreys are away to Cardiff, home to Glasgow, and then away to Connacht.

Our fate is out of our hands but it's not that mental to think Glasgow could beat them and one of the other teams might beat them. The Cardiff game is a derby match and Conn will be playing to get into the RCC so will be extra motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

First Up wrote: »
    Great performance is stretching it. Full marks for effort (what else should we expect?) But a serious shortage of skill and technique in numerous areas was the cause of the loss and we really can't complain.
    Sorry to say but Leinster were by a wide margin the least impressive of the four semi finalists.

Not buying that. Clermont were probably the best and the other three were all poor. The passage of play leading to Leinsters try was more impressive then anything Toulon offered.

It's not just Ulster who could fall at the last hurdle.

The Ospreys are away to Cardiff, home to Glasgow, and then away to Connacht.

Our fate is out of our hands but it's not that mental to think Glasgow could beat them and one of the other teams might beat them. The Cardiff game is a derby match and Conn will be playing to get into the RCC so will be extra motivated.
    Ulster are the more obvious target though, as us taking points in that game means they lose potential points. It's cup rugby all the way though, lose any game and we are gone. I just think mentally and physically it's going to be so hard to get right for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

A wide margin. In a game that was level after 80 mins...thats a ridiculous statement. Granted both teams weren't brilliant but generally if there was a wide margin it is normally reflected on the scoreboard

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Not buying that. Clermont were probably the best and the other three were all poor. The passage of play leading to Leinsters try was more impressive then anything Toulon offered.

30 seconds; offset by a litany of errors in the other 99.5 minutes - including a man advantage they contrived to waste.

Cleremont comfortably the best and I hope they win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ulster are the more obvious target though, as us taking points in that game means they lose potential points. It's cup rugby all the way though, lose any game and we are gone. I just think mentally and physically it's going to be so hard to get right for Friday.

Ulster owe Leinster one, Leinster are clearly Ulster's bogey team. Ulster will be fresh, well up for it knowing a loss ends their chance of a home semi. Will be a great occasion. Is ref confirmed?

scott1974 wrote: »
    A wide margin. In a game that was level after 80 mins...thats a ridiculous statement. Granted both teams weren't brilliant but generally if there was a wide margin it is normally reflected on the scoreboard

Both Cleremont and Sarries would have put 20 on either team today and Leinster did not deserve to win. We can argue about what constitutes "wide" but it wasn't close in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Both Cleremont and Sarries would have put 20 on either team today and Leinster did not feserve to win. We can argue about what constitutes "wide" but it wasn't close in my book.

Clermont and Sarries would not have put 20 on either team today, especially not how they played yesterday, and especially not in those conditions

Clermont and Sarries would not have put 20 on either team today, especially not how they played yesterday, and especially not in those conditions

Opinions differ. Results stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Both Cleremont and Sarries would have put 20 on either team today and Leinster did not deserve to win. We can argue about what constitutes "wide" but it wasn't close in my book.

They played yesterday..Cleremont won....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

30 seconds; offset by a litany of errors in the other 99.5 minutes - including a man advantage they contrived to waste.

Cleremont comfortably the best and I hope they win it.

If Clermont were comfortably the best they would have won it in normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, they do stand. But there is no result to back up your opinion, so all we have are the opinions, and I don't see any basis in rugby for yours at the moment, Clermont are not 20 points better than this Toulon team, and neither are Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hang on here - it was a lovely sunny day in St Etienne yesterday and it pissed rain in Marseille. You are not comparing like with like.

AdamD wrote: »

???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

AdamD wrote: »

They did.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Hang on here - it was a lovely sunny day in St Etienne yesterday and it pissed rain in Marseille. You are not comparing like with like.

I reckon the game yesterday was played at a faster pace, higher skill level, fewer errors (forced and otherwise) and featured more incidences of ambition, imagination and quality.

Just my opinion.

I reckon the game yesterday was played at a faster pace, higher skill level, fewer errors (forced and otherwise) and featured more incidences of ambition, imagination and quality.

Just my opinion.

And the conditions suited that sort of game, you seem to be missing (ignoring) the fact the conditions for most of the game were awful today. The interview with Joe Schmidt while the game was on saying "people at home probably don't appreciate just how bad the conditions are here today", says a little bit about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just my opinion.

I would say Leinster would have loved a faster paced game today, but in those conditions, it wasn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Matt Giteau said how difficult it was too.
    The amount of regulation fields that were fumbled when these guys on both sides don't fumble them at all any other day. Do you think that was purely coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

Re:Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: Return of the MOC

On that note, I heard a rumour that Leinster will not be playing top flight European rugby next year. A lot of these temporary true-blues will run for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Kearney-5
    McFadden- 5
    T'eo- 4
    Madigan-4
    Fitzgerald-7
    Gopperth-5.5
    Boss-6
    Heaslip-8
    SOB-7.5
    Murphy-8
    Toner-7.5
    McCarthy-8
    Healy-8
    Cronin-7.5
    Ross.7.5

Backs coach-1.

Great effort from the forwards but our backline held no threat whatsoever. It's a huge problem that has been evident since St. Joe left us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Saracens showed little to no ambition even when chasing the game in ideal rugby conditions. Certainly no more than Leinster did

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How does your point stand though? Neither Sarries or Clermont played Toulon today.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

???
    its_phil wrote: »
    They did.

Brain is mush, nvm.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm worried a bit about Friday night. That was a good showing today and Leinster fell just short. All set up for a big heroic win in Ravenhill to make up for it.

Don't forget a lot of them were rested last week, it's only a 5 day turnaround but they came into it after a week off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement