Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

awec wrote: »
    I'm worried a bit about Friday night. That was a good showing today and Leinster fell just short. All set up for a big heroic win in Ravenhill to make up for it.

Don't forget a lot of them were rested last week, it's only a 5 day turnaround but they came into it after a week off.

I don't think that week off will really mean much when they've just had lumps knocked out of them for 100 minutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

One of the Ulster lads will get the customary red card for something silly so we should be all right

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd say the players are very much aware their season is over now. Don't think we'll show up in Ravenhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah I can see some bigger names maybe seeing the World Cup on the horizon and injury in an almost meaningless game would be heartbreaking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

.ak wrote: »
    I'd say the players are very much aware their season is over now. Don't think we'll show up in Ravenhill.

With the amount of games still to be played between the top 4 teams I'm not so sure it's all over yet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

CatFromHue wrote: »
    With the amount of games still to be played between the top 4 teams I'm not so sure it's all over yet.

If you don't win in Ravenhill it will be for Leinster.

Oh yeah, defo.

If we do win though we push it on for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say that players are very aware that this is the first run we've had all season with some of the most important parts of the first team fit, and they're very aware of how unappreciative a lot of sections have been of that fact, and they're also very aware of who is getting the stick for that. There's a strong will to deliver to the end of the season to spite those facts. We sent our 2nd team to Newport specifically to get our 1st team to Ravenhill, and the big guys, as well as the management, are very aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think the forwards and Leo deserve huge praise from today. Compare this to the last time out and it's night and day. Our line out was immense, put the ghosts to bed from it's implosion before. Those two defensive steals were so impressive and the pressure put on Toulon all game was savage. Deserved more reward but that's life for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We sent our 2nd team to Newport specifically to get our 1st team to Ravenhill, and the big guys, as well as the management, are very aware of that.

Huh? Everything was about Toulon. Why would we send a diminished team to a weaker opponent in hope of beating a greater opponent for harder points later who themselves are going for silverware??

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Huh? Everything was about Toulon. Why would we send a diminished team to a weaker opponent in hope of beating a greater opponent for harder points later who themselves are going for silverware??

No, it wasn't all about Toulon.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/easterby-calls-on-irfu-to-review-player-management-rules-31146857.html
    It is understood that the provincial coaches can only play their centrally contracted players in a maximum of eight regular-season league games in each campaign, meaning O'Connor was faced with a choice between playing his front-liners against the Dragons last Sunday or against Ulster tomorrow week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster have to send the strongest side to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Our best team will go to Ravenhill - they'll be up for it after that loss yesterday, but there is a limit to what a body can do!

You better show up. Munster want a home semi-final you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

vienne86 wrote: »
    Our best team will go to Ravenhill - they'll be up for it after that loss yesterday, but there is a limit to what a body can do!

They'll be willing but it will be very, very difficult to pick themselves up psychologically from yesterday. Ulster will have spent the last week preparing for this game.

Leinster will probably have one full training session this week. Today will be recovery with medical assessments. Tomorrow possibly will be a light work and going through drills with some analysis work, Wednesday will probably be our one proper session and Thursday is captain's run.

I can't see us winning on Friday unless we can somehow replicate some of yesterday's intensity.

The whole season comes down to beating Ulster now. Yes the guys had a tough game against Toulon and that makes things harder, but they did get themselves a week off before it.

We need to win all of our remaining games and hope that Ospreys lose to Glasgow and Connacht or the Blues. I think Glasgow will beat them, so if we beat Ulster (and we should beat Edinburgh/Treviso after that) then that Ospreys-Connacht match becomes massive for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If we can get more consistent performances from the pack to that level, Sexton will make a massive difference next year against the better teams. Ideally Darcy will squeeze another year out, I think he'd be great to have around the place, with Madigan & Sexton gone to RWC, and a young 10 (hopefully) being given a chance. Would really like to see a good 9 signed but not looking likely at this stage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec's prediction:

Leinster have the better pack, Ulster have the better backline. Two teams to cancel each other out and an outrageous red card or penalty call will gift Leinster the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we can get more consistent performances from the pack to that level, Sexton will make a massive difference next year against the better teams. Ideally Darcy will squeeze another year out, I think he'd be great to have around the place, with Madigan & Sexton gone to RWC, and a young 10 (hopefully) being given a chance. Would really like to see a good 9 signed but not looking likely at this stage.

Surely a 9 is a necessity at this stage? Our options are pathetic, Reddan and Boss will be a year older too and McGrath shows no signs of overtaking either..

awec wrote: »
    awec's prediction:

Leinster have the better pack, Ulster have the better backline. Two teams to cancel each other out and an outrageous red card or penalty call will gift Leinster the win.
    No Angry Tom anymore though, you might get a reprieve this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I look forward to seeing Cathal Marsh get a run during the RWC. He has worked hard and is a good player who deserves a chance to see if he can cut it at Pro 12 level. He has been very good at B&I cup level. I actually look forward to seeing how a few of the lads do during the RWC, it gives great opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing Cathal Marsh get a run during the RWC. He has worked hard and is a good player who deserves a chance to see if he can cut it at Pro 12 level. He has been very good at B&I cup level. I actually look forward to seeing how a few of the lads do during the RWC, it gives great opportunities.

Not sure you'll get your wish. Definitely should see McGrath and Marsh (don't think Marsh will be starting) but I think we'll be well covered in the rest of the back line. McFadden, Kearney, Te'o, Reid, Kirchner and Fanning will all be around, potentially. I think Kearney is the only one who arguably may not be.

We'll have Bent and Furlong in the pack. Will definitely get a good look at a hooker, hopefully Byrne, though. Second row will probably be McCarthy and Douglas with Denton also there. Hopefully Malony adds to his 2 appearances to date at some point.

The back row will lose a few guys but we'll still retain Ryan, Ruddock (I think injuries will cost him his spot), Conan and McLaughlin.

Unfortunately, I don't see a huge amount of scope for academy or fringe players to get a run unless we see injuries.

I would say the young players who will profit will be the Byrne twins, Luke McGrath and possibly Peter Dooley or even RBF. It really depends on what signings are made. I could see Nacewa starting at 10 a few times and I wouldn't rule out a short term signing at 9 still. Can't see us playing with McGrath and McCarthy for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure you'll get your wish. Definitely should see McGrath and Marsh (don't think Marsh will be starting) but I think we'll be well covered in the rest of the back line. McFadden, Kearney, Te'o, Reid, Kirchner and Fanning will all be around, potentially. I think Kearney is the only one who arguably may not be.

We'll have Bent and Furlong in the pack. Will definitely get a good look at a hooker, hopefully Byrne, though. Second row will probably be McCarthy and Douglas with Denton also there. Hopefully Malony adds to his 2 appearances to date at some point.

The back row will lose a few guys but we'll still retain Ryan, Ruddock (I think injuries will cost him his spot), Conan and McLaughlin.

Unfortunately, I don't see a huge amount of scope for academy or fringe players to get a run unless we see injuries.

I would say the young players who will profit will be the Byrne twins, Luke McGrath and possibly Peter Dooley or even RBF. It really depends on what signings are made. I could see Nacewa starting at 10 a few times and I wouldn't rule out a short term signing at 9 still. Can't see us playing with McGrath and McCarthy for 2 months.

Don't forget Kearney in the row as well.

Leinster are a quality 9, 12 and good back-up 10 away from having an excellent full strength squad. The concerns for next season though are the same as the concerns for this. Can we perform when the internationals are away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think Joe will be very keen to have Ruddock in the RWC squad. Haven't looked at the various permutations but he adds a lot of physicality to the pack when the plays, and he was immense in the autumn games.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Don't forget Kearney in the row as well.

Leinster are a quality 9, 12 and good back-up 10 away from having an excellent full strength squad. The concerns for next season though are the same as the concerns for this. Can we perform when the internationals are away?

I think one of the benefits we'll get next season is that the internationals will be away consistently. The complaint from Leinster's coaching staff was that without a consistent squad they were unable to implement a consistent philosophy. Well the squad for those first few games will be consistent, and if we get through the rest of the season without the injury nightmares of this year then that should be consistent as well for the RCC group stages. That coupled with hopefully better half back play will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think we are hurting for a 12, we just need to have our best options play there. Either Reid or Fitz/ Te'o should be in there going forward. A lock and McCarthy getting gametime should be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So lads which Leinster player has been nominated to try and decapitate PJ this week?:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

bilston wrote: »
    So lads which Leinster player has been nominated to try and decapitate PJ this week?:-)
    All of them.

Who's going to get your red card this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Eponymous wrote: »
    All of them.

Who's going to get your red card this year?

Well we've pretty much gone right through the team so we are probably back to Payne again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I think some the comments about Madigan are very misplaced and highlight some very short term memories.

Yes he threw a bad pass and had some other generally poor pieces of play yesterday.

On the other hand his goal kicking was the reason we were in the semi at all (6/6 v Bath in a game where Leinster as a whole were pretty awful). His goal kicking was also the reason why JG had a 78th minute kickable drop goal attempt to best Toulon away.

I'd like it too if he brought more of his talents rather than just goal kicking, but in 160 odd minutes of knock out rugby (where to be fair it looked like Leinster could have played for days without troubling the Bath or Toulon try line) Madigan kept the scoreboard ticking over with the type of accuracy halfpenny would be proud of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement