Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Tox56 wrote: »
    5 ahead and our next game is a gimme

We have no gimmes anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I'm not going to discuss the coach, but the single best thing Leinster could do for next season is say thanks for the memories to the ageing veterans (eg Reddan) and the players who are just average (eg Dominic Ryan) and promote some youth.

Crying out for an up-and-coming 9, 10 and 12 to announce themselves on the big stage. I don't know enough about the younger players to suggest names, but there must be players out there.

If ye keep playing the Reddans, Darcys etc, the younger lads will eventually look elsewhere in despair.

9 Luke McGrath
    though he may be drifting into the average category, not a world beater but should have had an extra 15 leinster caps over the last few seasons, scrumhalves need experience. Do or die for uim next sezson.

10 Ross Byrne
    Probably a year to soon for him but a hell of a lot of quality in him. Id start him at 10 for the rest of the season with the idea of him being the starting 10 during the rwc. Who cares about results if this guy gets 600 minutes of provincial rugby during rwc he could make the irish squad for the summer tour.

12 Noel Reid
    Best 12 in the squad. Suffered with injury earlier in the season and Madigan got the 12 shirt for goal kicking and Darcy is picked for experience. Noel Reid though is the superior 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

All season? How many games has he played there this season?

I suppose he missed a lot of games but he was there for the guts of the middle of the season from after the second Harlequins double headers to after the six nations. He was moved after that and it doesnt look like hes going back

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We still have to finish above 6th...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I suppose he missed a lot of games but he was there for the guts of the middle of the season from after the second Harlequins double headers to after the six nations. He was moved after that and it doesnt look like hes going back

Imo I think he looks good at 13 because he always beats the first defender, but imo it doesn't make him a good 13.

He's a better 11 imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I really don't think Teo is a 12. But I guess maybe worth a try. Doesn't strike me as having any kicking side to his game at all though. I agree Fitzgerald might be better back at 13. He still can't seem to score on the wing, I have no idea why, but his strike rate for a winger remains low.

I just can't get over the 9 situation though, re-signing Boss and Reddan is just crazy IMO, and Reddan has been very poor in recent weeks.

just like to see it given a go. Think it would work at pro12 level. I think Teo and Fitz would give us great go forward too. It is better then watching the backrow in reverve from 5 yrds behind the gainline anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SOB was very ratty today. He fecked Henderson on the ground for his yellow and could have gotten a yellow earlier for pushing the ref for Henderson's try. He just ran up behind Lacey and pushed him over and started shouting at him even though he was never going to get close to Henderson.

He seems to not be the same in attack that he used to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    SOB was very ratty today. He fecked Henderson on the ground for his yellow and could have gotten a yellow earlier for pushing the ref for Henderson's try. He just ran up behind Lacey and pushed him over and started shouting at him even though he was never going to get close to Henderson.

Thats a bit knee jerk considering he tore Scotland apart a few weeks ago. I actually thought when he carried today he carried well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

aimee1 wrote: »
    just like to see it given a go. Think it would work at pro12 level. I think Teo and Fitz would give us great go forward too. It is better then watching the backrow in reverve from 5 yrds behind the gainline anyway

I think there was way too much chopping & changeing in the Leinster midfield at the start of the season.

I would go with Reid & Teo, and leave Fitz on the wing, mainly because I see Teo as a 13 or not in the team at all. But whoever is coach should stick with a combination.

I really see no value in persisting with Reddan & Darcy at all, they are not the future, and this will only slow down the necessary rebuild required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Thats a bit knee jerk considering he tore Scotland apart a few weeks ago. I actually thought when he carried today he carried well

yeah maybe it is, he's been well marshalled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I really see no value in persisting with Reddan & Darcy at all, they are not the future, and this will only slow down the necessary rebuild required.

you can add Boss to that list

i agree about the combinations in midfield. Reid just seems to be injured a lot as I cant remember seeing him much this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

i agree about the combinations in midfield. Reid just seems to be injured a lot as I cant remember seeing him much this season.

Well I would have kept one of Boss or Reddan. 3 green 9s is a bit too much. I usually much prefer Reddan to Boss, but Reddan's form has plunged off a cliff recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

He often has no hope carrying close to the ruck off slow ball though. Kidney had him doing the exact same thing for Ireland a few years back. Trucking it up to make half a metre.

Still think he has it if he's asked to run at shoulders in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Mmmm. Don't agree with that. do you think he'd rather run into Lacey than tackle Henderson???

scott1974 wrote: »
    Mmmm. Don't agree with that. do you think he'd rather run into Lacey than tackle Henderson???

He didn't run into Lacey though, he ran up to him and pushed him.

He was miles away from Henderson too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

yeah maybe it is, he's been well marshalled.

He's obviously incredibly frustrated and it's getting the better of him I think. He needs to calm down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

He didn't run into Lacey though, he ran up to him and pushed him.

He was miles away from Henderson too.

Miles...really.

I watched it again, he was just inside the 22. There was a good chance he at least get to him.

scott1974 wrote: »
    Miles...really

Figuratively, not literally.

He was too far away to even dive tackle if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

SOB has been ratty throughout the Six Nations too. He is frustrated, bit like he was when we lost to ABs. He needs to cop on though and cut out back chat. As i said on match thread, Madigan no place in an Ireland 23 if Jackson stays fit between now and September. Jackson is everything you want in a 10 in terms of controlling game. We just need to see him goal kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

If connacht win tomorrow leinster are in danger of not making the top 6. Still have to play Edinburgh away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

funtime93 wrote: »
    If connacht win tomorrow leinster are in danger of not making the top 6. Still have to play Edinburgh away.

Sure how could Leinster be expected to finish in the top 6 in the league? All our players spend their time either playing for the national team or being rested for the national team. On the rare occasions they might be able to play for Leinster they are generally injured. On the very rare occasions they take the field for Leinster they play badly because Matt hasn't had enough time to train them.

Sure don't ya know, Matt is working miracles just to keep us in the top half of the table....don't be dreaming about things like top 6 finishes.....

funtime93 wrote: »

Our next game is at home to Treviso so win there and we should be ok no matter what happens in the last game I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Madigan and Dominic Ryan for Marmion? Mads gets some quality time at 10 and we get ourselves a good 9

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He was injured early and then when he came back madigan and D'Arcy were chosen ahead of him. He has played more a rugby than senior rugb.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

First season since 2007/08 (before era of Pro12 playoffs) that Leinster will be in no final of any competition. Plus in 2007/08 Leinster won the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Our next game is at home to Treviso so win there and we should be ok no matter what happens in the last game I think.

You'd think Leinster should be ok, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

9 wins from 20 games in the league this season.

We're so lucky to have MOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I'm not going to discuss the coach, but the single best thing Leinster could do for next season is say thanks for the memories to the ageing veterans (eg Reddan) and the players who are just average (eg Dominic Ryan) and promote some youth.

Crying out for an up-and-coming 9, 10 and 12 to announce themselves on the big stage. I don't know enough about the younger players to suggest names, but there must be players out there.

If ye keep playing the Reddans, Darcys etc, the younger lads will eventually look elsewhere in despair.

Agree with you. Luke Mc Grath needs plenty of game time. Noel Reid looks a decent prospect at 12 but i would have Luke there as first pick - Luke just doesn't score enough as a winger but he does create space in the centre and defends very well.
    Lets not feck around at 10 anymore - it's sexton backed up by Madigan. Ross is probably near the end so Marty needs to be our starter backed up by Furlong. Kearney has been very poor. Where will Isa play? Which up and coming player will miss out on development because we re-signed a guy 2 years retired?
    I would also love to see some younger guys being blooded at the star of next season. (Not going to happen if MOC remains)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Madigan and Dominic Ryan for Marmion? Mads gets some quality time at 10 and we get ourselves a good 9

I'd take their hand off if that deal became available.

Neither Madigan nor Ryan will ever be anything more than squad players for us, long term. If Madigan does continue to be in the first choice side for a few seasons, it will always be a position where we can improve.

Ryan should have been let go this year. I don't think him remaining benefits Leinster or the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

LorMal wrote: »
    Agree with you. Luke Mc Grath needs plenty of game time. Noel Reid looks a decent prospect at 12 but i would have Luke there as first pick - Luke just doesn't score enough as a winger but he does create space in the centre and defends very well.
    Lets not feck around at 10 anymore - it's sexton backed up by Madigan. Ross is probably near the end so Marty needs to be our starter backed up by Furlong. Kearney has been very poor. Where will Isa play? Which up and coming player will miss out on development because we re-signed a guy 2 years retired?
    I would also love to see some younger guys being blooded at the star of next season. (Not going to happen if MOC remains)

McGrath should get several starts early next season and hopefully one more this season. That will give us a good indication of where he is. Next season is make or break for him in terms of winning the confidence of the coaches and his colleagues. If he doesn't perform well, Leinster will be looking at a signing for the 2016/17 season.

I would love to see Reid getting a good run inside Te'o. I think they're potentially one of the most exciting combinations we have in our squad. Both are elusive runners and can link with those around them. I hope they get at least 4 or 5 games together during the RWC.

I assume Nacewa will play a little bit at 10 initially and then will fill holes where required. While he didn't play there for Leinster, he has lined out at 12 in Super Rugby before so I wouldn't rule out an appearance there at some point either. We lack confidence in the back line and he's someone that can step into that void; getting him on the ball as much as possible could be of big benefit to us. It's all completely dependent on his level of performance after the break, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement