Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    I know. Wait, are you being sarcastic?

Sarcastic?!

That comment showed my pashun for Leinster Rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would like to see something along the lines of this for Treviso:

Kirchner, Kearney, Te'o, Reid, Fitzgerald, Madigan, McGrath, Heaslip, VDF, SOB, Marshall, McCarthy, Furlong, Cronin, McGrath

Fanning, Gopperth, Boss, Leavy, Molony, Ross, Bent, Dundon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Would like to see something along the lines of this for Treviso:

Kirchner, Kearney, Te'o, Reid, Fitzgerald, Madigan, McGrath, Heaslip, VDF, SOB, Marshall, McCarthy, Furlong, Cronin, McGrath

Fanning, Gopperth, Boss, Leavy, Molony, Ross, Bent, Dundon.

We need the TBP win and Treviso were relatively competitive against Munster at the weekend. I don't think we can afford anything but a first string side out I'm afraid. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I also think the first string will be very much keen to finish as strongly as possible, given their frustrations with how they've played and also the big summer ahead of them.

I think there's a balance needed between the first string side and giving a rest of some people who are feeling the season at this point.

Even if we beat Treviso with a BP, there's a chance we'll need to go to Scotland needing something to secure 5th. I would roll out the full first team for that game. We are 4 points ahead of the Scarlets and they play Cardiff at home this weekend with every chance of a bonus point win.

If we go into the final game of the season 4 points in front, we're away to Edinburgh and they're away to Treviso and looking for a bonus point win again. I think there's a strong chance we need something against Edinburgh. It will come down to points difference so if Scarlets win with a BP in Italy and we only secure a losing BP in Scotland, we could find ourselves in 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sixth is enough for the used to be HEC? no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

RuggieBear wrote: »

Yeah. 6th for qualification. 7th for playoff spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

6th would put is in the 4th pool of seeds (aka: bottom seeds). 5th puts us in the 3rd pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Greyian wrote: »
    6th would put is in the 4th pool of seeds (aka: bottom seeds). 5th puts us in the 3rd pool.

MOC aiming for 7th, to win the Challenge cup next season. If its good enough for JS .......

All about the seeding now.

• Advertisement

Wardy is still butthurt folks. His phrase this week is the "bile on social media".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

My God! What a shambles. Trying to think of a previous shambolic fall from grace......:mad:

All about the seeding now.

This. We simply have to get 5 points next weekend and then see where we stand for the last week. We'll likely need at least a LBP, but if Scarlets get a TBP win next weekend as well we need to target a win in Edinburgh as 2 Scarlets TBP wins will put them on 59 with 11 wins. If we get a TBP win and LBP in the last 2 then we'll be on 59 with 10 wins and so will fall behind Scarlets on games won.
    Wardy is still butthurt folks. His phrase this week is the "bile on social media".

I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article.

This. We simply have to get 5 points next weekend and then see where we stand for the last week. We'll likely need at least a LBP, but if Scarlets get a TBP win next weekend as well we need to target a win in Edinburgh as 2 Scarlets TBP wins will put them on 59 with 11 wins. If we get a TBP win and LBP in the last 2 then we'll be on 59 with 10 wins and so will fall behind Scarlets on games won.

I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article. I will not read that article.

Let me give you a summary: The fans are still spouting bile and Isa Nacewa coming in as attack coach is going to fix everything. He also claims he is the all-knowing demi-god of rugby and all detractors will be punished in the afterlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On Against the Head the other evening the implication was that if you have a social media account you're not a 'real' supporter. I think the comment was along the lines of "Are we talking about the real supporters here or those on social media ?".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I don't really care about the seeding tbh. It's top seed or irrelevant for me.

I don't really care about the seeding tbh. It's top seed or irrelevant for me.

As it stands right now, the 3rd seeds will be made up of Leinster, Exeter, Racing Metro and 2 of Leicester Tigers, Ospreys and Stade Francais.

The 4th seeds are currently made up of Scarlets, Treviso, Oyannax, Wasps and one of Edinburgh/Sale/Montpellier.

I'd much rather be in a group with 1 of those 4th seeds than switching with Scarlets and possibly drawing Leicester/Ospreys/Racing Metro.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    On Against the Head the other evening the implication was that if you have a social media account you're not a 'real' supporter. I think the comment was along the lines of "Are we talking about the real supporters here or those on social media ?".

Social media and the internet is slowly replacing the sphere of influence held by those in the print and TV/radio media. It's no surprise to me that they will discredit it at every opportunity. We now have an outlet to collectively voice our disagreement. Some abuse it, most don't. However people with an agenda to promote their presumed superior knowledge/intellect will group the "most" with the "some".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Social media and the internet is slowly replacing the sphere of influence held by those in the print and TV/radio media. It's no surprise to me that they will discredit it at every opportunity. We now have an outlet to collectively voice our disagreement. Some abuse it, most don't. However people with an agenda to promote their presumed superior knowledge/intellect will group the "most" with the "some".

The fascination with Ward is, well, fascinating but he's not wrong. There is a lot of anger on social media directed at MOC and a lot of people saying that he is the sole cause of our problems. That is an undeniable truth.

Nowhere in today's paper or anywhere else does he say "everyone on social media".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ladies and gentlemen, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and I can say without hyperbole that social media rugby fans are a million times worse than all of them put together.

• Advertisement

As it stands right now, the 3rd seeds will be made up of Leinster, Exeter, Racing Metro and 2 of Leicester Tigers, Ospreys and Stade Francais.

The 4th seeds are currently made up of Scarlets, Treviso, Oyannax, Wasps and one of Edinburgh/Sale/Montpellier.

Indeed. The seeding doesn't appear to be as influential as it was under the old system given the increased quality of the lower seeds but it is certainly still there.

Going into this season, Clermont, Ulster, Quins, Ospreys and Bath were the 3rd seeds. That's a pretty horrible little group of teams and two of them topped their pools. I don't think there's any drop in quality between the second tier and third tier but there certainly is between those tiers and fourth.

Sangre wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and I can say without hyperbole that social media rugby fans are a million times worse than all of them put together.

I knew a lad who was on social media once.

He died.

I knew a lad who was on social media once.

He died.

Jesus, is that true? We'll need to let everyone know. I'll get on Facebook immediately....oh ****

Indeed. The seeding doesn't appear to be as influential as it was under the old system given the increased quality of the lower seeds but it is certainly still there.

Going into this season, Clermont, Ulster, Quins, Ospreys and Bath were the 3rd seeds. That's a pretty horrible little group of teams and two of them topped their pools. I don't think there's any drop in quality between the second tier and third tier but there certainly is between those tiers and fourth.

Were they not 3rd tier rather than third seed? As in Leinster are currently 5th seed which means 3rd tier?

|Pool 1|Pool 2|Pool 3|Pool 4|Pool 5
    Tier 1|Seed 1|Seed 1|Seed 1|Seed 2|Seed 2
    Tier 2|Seed 2|Seed 3|Seed 3|Seed 3|Seed 4
    Tier 3|Seed 4|Seed 4|Seed 5|Seed 5|Seed 5
    Tier 4|Seed 6|Seed 6|Seed 6|Italian|Play-Off

So 6th seed could be potentially disastrous as we would definitely face a 1st seed team and at worst a 2nd and 4th as well.

EDIT: Or is it that prescribed? Do they just lump tiers in together and pull them out at random? That would make more sense I suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Theyre at it constantly, there was some article in the IT after the Toulon game by Cummiskey I think where he was unbelievably smug and condescending to the people who run blogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

We need the TBP win and Treviso were relatively competitive against Munster at the weekend. I don't think we can afford anything but a first string side out I'm afraid. Sad but true.

When was the last time we scored more then 2 tries in a game?

When was the last time we scored more then 2 tries in a game?

The Dragons game a couple of weeks ago. We scored 3 in that one. Our last TBP was against Glasgow in the RDS at the end of March. Our last TBP victory was against Zebre in the RDS in late February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some of the social media is allright, like us on here :cool:, but an awful lot of it is crazy stuff.

So if you were to comment on the looking at the whole social media environment (Twitter, Facebook, comments under newspaper articles) I doubt you'd be saying anything good about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Havent come across any bile.

Just reasoned observations that the MOC tenure has been bad for Leinster, shows no sign of improving, that there is talent in the squad being wasted, that the results at times can only correctly be described as embarrassing, that for the first time in years we will have no trophy for the season, will not make the top 4 in the league, will end up with a tough seeding in Europe next year escalating the task for whoever replaces him, some players look altogether different and better when playing for Ireland against a higher level of opponent, and are dull to watch (dull and winning is one thing, dull and not being at the races is another), and people are surprised/frustrated that Leinster has not acted yet to rectify this by replacing the coach (surely a better prospect than replace half a dozen players).

It just hasnt worked out with MOC. Pity. But two years is plenty to judge. Definition of madness being doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different out come and all that. So it isnt bile when people advocate a change of a losing formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Social media incorporates pretty much all new media, from facebook and Twitter to blogs and Forums though. There are plenty of blogs that are better written, more informative and generally more accurate than any article Ward has written in the last 10 years, then there's the other stuff, maybe the journos should be a little more specific but I doubt they wish to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement